Hammer Bullets - what makes them so great?

Was the whole shoulder scrapped or did you still get meat off of it? With heavier Barnes I generally only lose a few inches around the hole.
Very little meat was lost...the area around the broken bones was cut out because I didn't want to risk eating bone shards but otherwise barely any due to blood shot. I used to have a pic of the damage but I think I deleted them when my google cloud got too full

I shot this group at 200 meters and 3 more just like it on Sunday. Not bad for a “junk” Remington 700 topped with a 3-9 redfield revolution scope. 7mm08 with 120 hammer hunters. This has been typical of what I have seen from hammers with our out of the box rifles at 200 meters.

Attachments

• E5C72A02-78F0-4DCE-8E2C-450E5FBA7653.jpeg
    E5C72A02-78F0-4DCE-8E2C-450E5FBA7653.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I shot this group at 200 meters and 3 more just like it on Sunday. Not bad for a “junk” Remington 700 topped with a 3-9 redfield revolution scope. 7mm08 with 120 hammer hunters. This has been typical of what I have seen from hammers with our out of the box rifles at 200 meters.
Well, that may be a problem. Honey, those factory rifles just don't shoot good; you wouldn't want me wounding game would you? ;)

Last edited:
Shitty; doesn't shoot good. I'll buy it off you for 400

Didn't chrono yet, and it was windy, but this is 31 gr Hammer Hunter with 8208 XBR. Dakota Varminter .204. It clearly likes them on the hot side. No pressure signs though. Amazing how a small difference in charge affects things. And doesn't matter what it would do without wind, because, as if. That's a 5 shot group. Oh, and Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 from @schmalts . It was sighted in with factory ammo, 1 1/2" high. We had a pretty steady mild, but gusty, right to left wind today. Bounced around fields all summer shooting Vmax, but wanted to see what the Hammers would do.

Attachments

• Hammer Hunter 31 gr .204.jpg
    Hammer Hunter 31 gr .204.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
For my part, Hammers give excellent terminal performance (at least on the 2 elk and 1 bear I've taken with the 131gr Hammer Hunters from my 7mm08), downright surprising muzzle velocities, and very good manufacturing consistency. Add on supporting a small local business that has managed to maintain availability through the recent economic shocks, and it's no surprise to me that they've gained a big following.

Oh and not to mention perfectly reasonable prices for high-quality copper bullets, often beating out the big boys on price which is economically very impressive. (cf $1.17 for 131gr 7mm Hammer Hunter vs $1.50 for Nosler 140gr etips at the moment)

Every gun is different just gotta find what works for your gun. While it can be a challenging head scratcher at times....... I always learn in the process and come better on the end and understand my rifles better. What works and what doesn't work (always learn more from this)

I'm late to the game here, but will share my experience with the 267 gr HHT out of my 338 RUM this past season. Took 4 animals (two antlerless elk, one whitetail buck, and doe antelope) all between 400 and 420 yards. All were pass throughs. At that distance, I can't say they worked better than any other bullet, but loading was extremely easy with RL-23. Great speeds and good accuracy.

I like to try different projectiles, so I may stray from them this year, but my experience has been pretty favorable so far.

Out of laziness - here is my thread documenting the results. A little too much effort to repost!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back