For those that hunt with a muzzleloader

3" high at 100 yards for my set up to be dead on at 150. I shoot a peep sighted Omega w/ 295 Grain Power Belts. Pretty comfortable on deer to 200 yards w/ a Solid Rest. Probably wouldn't shoot an elk anything past 150, and then only broadside...

+2 in at 100yds puts me on at 125-150 with 175 being my max.
I missed high at 70 yds once because I sighted in for too far...live and learn :eek:

I shoot an Omega with a Nikon Omega BDC scope 250gr shockwave(easyglide) over 150gr 777. And it'll do just what the commercials said it will. I hunt mostly forested areas so probably the longest shot in those conditions would be 150. But if I had a deer at 200 in an open field and I could get a good rest(shooting sticks) I'm certain its doable. I generally practice 100-200yds. I attach a bipod for woodchuck hunting and have whacked a few from a prone position at 250yds. I've missed a few too.

I sight in to 100 yards with open sight Flint Lock , 50 & 54 cal round ball. But I make the majority of my shots under 50 yards.

I just topped my Omega with a Bushnell MOA 250 which seems to be a great little scope for the money. In camo it was about $100 less than the nikon omega MZ scope.

Kansas just last year allowed scopes on MZ'z and Nebraska which had a 2X limit now also allows higher magnification scopes for MZ's as well. If all works out I will hit KS in Sept, OK in Oct, and NE in Dec.

Anyway, sighted it with my favorite load 115 grain Blackhorn 209 with 245 grain Barnes tmz's. I sighted in dead on at 100 and then went to try some of the radiant lines at 150 and 200. Both confirmed hits within an 8" pie plate out to the 200 yard mark. I did not try the 250 just because I had run out of time but will see where that hits one day soon.

For me to try the 200 yard shot however I would have to have a dead rest and great shot presentation.

I really like this Blackhorn 209 powder!

Last edited:
Open sites...100yds

Scope...dead on @ 200...max 300yds

Killed several from 200+ to 264yds

Savage smokeless rocks...good to have a friend who owns one.

I just topped my Omega with a Bushnell MOA 250 which seems to be a great little scope for the money. In camo it was about $100 less than the nikon omega MZ scope.

Kansas just last year allowed scopes on MZ'z and Nebraska which had a 2X limit now also allows higher magnification scopes for MZ's as well. If all works out I will hit KS in Sept, OK in Oct, and NE in Dec.

Anyway, sighted it with my favorite load 115 grain Blackhorn 209 with 245 grain Barnes tmz's. I sighted in dead on at 100 and then went to try some of the radiant lines at 150 and 200. Both confirmed hits within an 8" pie plate out to the 200 yard mark. I did not try the 250 just because I had run out of time but will see where that hits one day soon.

For me to try the 200 yard shot however I would have to have a dead rest and great shot presentation.

I really like this Blackhorn 209 powder!

I`m really interested in this powder too. I plan on sighting in my Knight Disc Extreme with it, likely with 110 grains. What did you experience as far as cleaning between shots? Did you do any swabbing of the bore?

I shoot a .50 cal T/C Encore...I've found 2 50 gr Pyrodex pellets under a Barnes 245/250? gr MZ Expander sabot are the real deal...entrance/exit wounds half dollar size. I've shot whitetails from 30 to about 125 yards...knocked them DOWN. Only 1 has run about 30 yds...left a blood trail 3 foot wide...it was dead when it was hit and just didn't know it yet.
On the irons I'm dead on at 100 yds...the scope is 2" high at 100 yds.
If you haven't tried the Barnes MZ's...give then a try...they look funky w/the large hollow point...but man they knock the dog knots off what you hit...and they are VERY accurate.

hunter480,

Blackhorn 209 is the real deal. The last time I shot it I fired 10 rounds and never had to swab once.

I love it, I have had very consistant accurracy with it. It is a little pricey but the way it works, who cares!

I use CVA's foam cleaner. I squirt it full and leave it for about an hour come back and patch it out clean. I always then run a patch through with breakfree.

my lyman .54 great plains likes 90 gr 777,385 great plains conical,+3 @50,0 at 100,-10 at 150,-26" at200 yrds,know your range and you can do pretty well.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back