Elk neck Roast

Duck-Slayer

Thought I’d share my family’s new favorite dish. -warning this is a long process- Also I used a big chief smoker.
Marinaded roughly a 5lb elk neck roast from a Mature 6x6 full rut stinky bull elk 😜 in apple juice over night than injected roast with fresh apple juice. Let drip, than pat dry, cover in a light coating of olive oil, I used grill mate applewood rub on it from Winco, liberally cover with rub, put on smoker for 4hrs/ 2 pans of applewood pellets. Put in crockpot with 3/4” water in bottom on high for 8hrs. Should fall apart. Meat is still stringy if that’s a word. Take a big 7” chopping knife and cross cut meat two different directions. Should look like that shredded jerky kids used to act like they had a dip in when ur 6 y/o.... toast a hoagie bun, while that’s toasting, mix a small amount of your favorite bbq sauce in the meat, just a little, you don’t want the bbq sauce to be overpowering the smoke. Serve on freshly toasted hoagie bun with a sprinkle of cheese! It’s the 🤬
Matt

I'm going to try this. Are you doing this with a bone-in roast or just a chunk of neck?

I've always boned out the neck meat from the elk that I've shot, and all of that meat went into the burger bucket.

At the end of the 2017 season, I was one of the last non-resident caribou hunters in Quebec. At breakfast of the first day of our hunt, the camp cook asked us to bring back the whole neck if one of us got a bull. I was one of the lucky hunters to get a bull the first day, so I didn't bone out the neck of my bull and brought the whole neck back to our cook.

She cooked that caribou neck for our dinner the next evening. She said she didn't do anything special other than salt an pepper and slow cooked it all afternoon in the kitchen oven. That was one of the best wild game roasts that I have ever had, and I eagerly had a second helping.

I do this all the time but never tried the apple juice part may have to try that next time. Works with shanks as well, I have done shanks and then chop in cubes, sauce and re-braise. Its a great recipe to then vacuum seal and take to hunting camp.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back