Crickets

Danceswithracks

Just found OYOA and am impressed!

Why is there not much traffic here on the ML section?

I have 3 ML hunts this year. 2 in AZ (elk in 6A and pronghorn in 2B) and one in UT (Plateau pronghorn).

What ML hunts are y'all looking forward to?

I used to live in AZ and ML was the 2nd easiest way to get drawn, archery was 1st. So many of us that got tired of not drawning a tag year after year...took up archery and bought a muzzleloader to increase our chances in the draw. I live in Montana now and the method of hunting is no longer a factor in draw results. I am guessing here, but I think the majority of the OYOA members live in Montana. That could be the reason why ML is not a hot topic.

I look forward to any ML hunts that I draw a tag for, which hasn't happened since 2006. Good luck on some great tags this year. Look forward to the pics and stories.

......... I am guessing here, but I think the majority of the OYOA members live in Montana...........

Since we MT guys like to post lots of pics, it may seem that way, but just under 14% of registered members are MT guys. ID is next, then CO, then CA, then .............

Just found OYOA and am impressed!

Why is there not much traffic here on the ML section?

I have 3 ML hunts this year. 2 in AZ (elk in 6A and pronghorn in 2B) and one in UT (Plateau pronghorn).

What ML hunts are y'all looking forward to?

6A is a great unit but gets hunted hard by November. The ML hunt is usually the week before the general bull hunt and weather isn't a factor yet most years, so the bulls are still up in the high country, which is THICK in most spots. If there's snow, head south of Apache Maid into the Hog Hill region. There will be plenty of hunters around, I'm sure, but if you're willing to get back from the main forest roads, you'll run into elk.

Best of luck on your hunts.

Funny becasue I'm a Rifle hunter but this year drew 2 Muzz tags and one Archery tag. I don't know much about either. Gunna be a Crazy Year at best, but will be fun !!!

I don't know what Crickets are... it that a type of bullet ? ;)

Also, probably less then 14% are from Montana. Just the 6 that post here have Big mouths and talk a lot. Seems like hundreds of them inbreads all at once... :p

6A is a great unit but gets hunted hard by November. The ML hunt is usually the week before the general bull hunt and weather isn't a factor yet most years, so the bulls are still up in the high country, which is THICK in most spots. If there's snow, head south of Apache Maid into the Hog Hill region. There will be plenty of hunters around, I'm sure, but if you're willing to get back from the main forest roads, you'll run into elk.

Best of luck on your hunts.

Thanks a bunch! Was out scouting the northern part a few weeks ago. Not much happening. Some cows but that was it. My son is not into camping so where would you recommend lodging?

Thanks a bunch! Was out scouting the northern part a few weeks ago. Not much happening. Some cows but that was it. My son is not into camping so where would you recommend lodging?

If there's room to let, I'd say Munds Park or Mormon Lake Lodge is your best bet. I have heard not great feedback on Happy Jack Lodge, fwiw. I've always just camped with the exception of a December cow hunt in nearby 5B South--we rented a cabin & split the cost 4 ways, which turned out to be pretty cheap and well worth it considering the heavy snow & wind we encountered. I could dig up the contact info for them if you'd like, but it's about 10 miles from the southeast border of 6A.

If you head back up for a scouting trip in early fall, you might see some cabins closer around the area you want to hunt--most of them are available to rent via some of the online rental agencies like homeaway.com, vrbo.com or vacationhomerentals.com.

Last edited:
I'm hoping to 'smoke' a moose with my muzz this year. I usually get in one muzz hunt every year. I thought about taking my muzz on my sheep hunt, but I'd rather put the odds in my favor as much as possible for the first one then take a step up the next time.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back