Choosing powders and bullets

Calif. Hunter

What system (if any) do you use to develop loads? I usually go by the "accuracy loads" if any are listed together with input from friends and forums on what has worked for others. Once I've got that info, I will try different powders with the same bullet to see which one works best. Then I try different bullets with that powder. Accuracy is always paramount with me. I'd rather have an extra half-inch (for example) of accuracy than an extra 50 feet per second. But...is there a different or better way to work on load development, particularly if it is a new gun and caliber to you?

CH I don't know if it's any better, but it is a little different. I have a red book that has all of the loads I have tested and the results of those tests for about the last 10 years. If I need to build a load, I will select a bullet based on the most stringent requirement for the load, then look in the redbook for history. I usually wind up pretty close. In developing loads for the book, I relied on experience with what powders had worked best in the past. For magnum loads for instance, I assess the size of the case and the weight of the bullet. If it is a heavy bullet in a small bore with a big case, (i.e. .264 Win Mag) I will look to IMR 7828 or Hodgdon H-1000 with heavier bullets and IMR 4350 or 4831 for lighter bullets. Medium cases, I like 4350 and H380. Smaller cases faster powders etc. Once I get a load dialed in, then it gets a place in the book. :cool:

Calif.Hntr- My load development for a new rifle goes something like this. I'll set up my bullet seating die off a dead round that I've chambered, and set the bullet about 5-10 thousandths off the lands.
Then I'll load up 5 each with a middle to lower end charge of each ww748 and ww760 (medium and slow powder) and see which one shoots the best group while looking for excess muzzle flash, and pressure signs. If the 748 provides the best groups, I'll try increasing this load, and also check a or some faster powders at the same time.
If the 760 shoots the best I'll try something slower while working up the 760 load.
After I've settled on a powder/primer/case combination, the last step I may try is moving the bullet closer or farther away from the lands.
We are in total aggreement that on the accuracy vs speed arrangement. I'll gladly give up a few fps for a half inch in accuracy.

I also look for some one using a similar setup to mine and try working up to their load also.
Honestly, some of the best loads I've found, outside of the ones I worked up, were in THE VARMINT HUNTER MAGAZINE that is put out by the VHA.
WD

Thanks, Danr and WD - I do the same thing as Dan mentioned in general as far as what's appropriate for the cartridge and bullet weight. I like the idea of using a couple of known "benchmark" powders to see if the gun (in general) likes a slower or faster powder.

I got to confess, after spending thousands trying different powders and bullits, I ask my local gunsmith. He has lots of experince, and lots of friends who load & hunt with hundreds of different Caliburs. Every time he recomends a powder & load, it always works great. I may do some fine tuneing, but he's never more than 1% off. As for bullits, it depends on the game, but I always start with Nosler, ballistic tips for deer & smaller, partitions for bigger stuff. If they don't shoot good, hornadays usually will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jon_G
Back