Yeti GOBOX Collection

Backpack In or camp by the truck

Robertsj22

Trying to plan a elk hunt in colorado either archery or maybe muzzleloader. most likely will be by myself maybe have a buddy. The question i have is backpack in or camp by the truck

Unless you have been in there scouting and know right where the elk are, it might be more beneficial to camp by the truck. That way you are much more mobile and you aren't restricted to a single area. It's just never fun to get to an area only to realize that there are people everywhere or there are no animals. Sure, you may have to get up a little earlier to hike in past where others go, but it's definitely worth it for most situations in my opinion.

Why limit your options before you have a plan. I would never make the trek west from MN without the ability to backpack in. I like to have the flexibility to both. You can always start out mobile and when you find animals, come back in with camp the next day. You may also find elk within easy daily striking distance, and your backpacking stuff can stay in the truck, either way you are set.

in a perfect world i would do both. but being an eastern whitetail hunter i'm trying to limit the budget of what gear i buy. so i was hoping to plan one or the other. My other concern is if i backpack in how in the world would i get it all out before spoilage.

If you have the gear to backpack in, you have the gear to camp at your vehicle.

Seven seasons ago, I started out with the mindset of backpacking in, but have had more success hunting from my vehicle.

I was in your shoes last year, planning my first elk hunt, trying to stick to a budget, not a clue where to start... Questions on here is a great way to start! Followed by videos on YouTube from Randy and the like as well as the many podcasts out there. It certainly helps give you a variety of ideas for how to get things done. Getting them done correctly is a different story... If price is an issue, be sure to scope Camofire (lots of tents and sleeping pads lately, good for backpacking), Sierra Trading Post, and the classifieds on here and other forums. You can get it done moderately cheap if you're diligent enough and maybe split costs with a buddy or two.

As for your question, we set out with the plan of hiking in and setting up a spike camp. 4 young guys, all in pretty decent shape, we could do it. Well, maybe... it's a lot tougher than we imagined. The hills are higher, the hikes are longer, the winds are windier. We probably could have done it, but we opted for the truck. All our gear meant for spiking in, was perfectly useful at the truck (small tents, jet boils, mountain house, etc...). We even brought some truck camping gear (which most outdoorsmen have already) in case we opted for the truck, which we did.

We were in the elk, at first. Had bugling and a few sightings as close as 60 yards. Had we been more experienced, we probably could have had a couple on the ground. That being said, the sightings faded, the pressure picked up as we neared the weekend, and we were left wondering what would have happened had we spiked in...

Moral of the story: Plan for one, and be ready for the other. If you're in the elk, why kill yourselves spiking in? If you're not in the elk, it's probably worth it to make your way in.

Good luck!
-Caleb

The first trick is to find the animals, and that may require staying mobile. Camp at the truck to be flexible. If you find game in a spot that makes more sense to backpack in, change your plans accordingly.

If you have the gear to backpack in, you have the gear to camp at your vehicle.

This. Buy the gear and be prepared to backpack in. The same gear works for truck camping too. This way you can feel out the area from your truck, and backpack in a few nights if you're finding game.

in a perfect world i would do both. but being an eastern whitetail hunter i'm trying to limit the budget of what gear i buy. so i was hoping to plan one or the other. My other concern is if i backpack in how in the world would i get it all out before spoilage.

I'll second what others have said about the camping vs. packing in. As for the spoilage, if you can find water nearby you can hang the meat over the stream or seal it in contractor bags and sink it in the stream. Try not to get the meat wet though.

I've done OK setting up camp near my truck then packing enough in my daypack to get through a night away if necessary. When hunting NF there are many places that allow you to pull over and camp. Just have a plan and leave in the dark.

I've backpacked & hunted from a pack for many years. Used to pack way back into the Sierra's every year. That said I have not packed in to a specific spot to hunt since my last trip 6 yrs ago. 5 mi in, I was on elk every day,but I wound up back near my truck one day in the end.
I have hunted out of my truck since I have had a truck too. Mobility. I can move my whole camp in an hour.
Now I just hunt out of my truck with a pack ready to go for an animal down. I do still bivy/overnight away from my truck at times,but I am usually just over the hill from my truck. I rarely stay in a campground too.
I hunt alone.

Why limit your options before you have a plan. I would never make the trek west from MN without the ability to backpack in. I like to have the flexibility to both. You can always start out mobile and when you find animals, come back in with camp the next day. You may also find elk within easy daily striking distance, and your backpacking stuff can stay in the truck, either way you are set.

I agree. Don't limit yourself to one or the other. I always plan on putting in the miles back pack hunting. Some times you get real lucky and are into elk close to the truck. I always have a large comfortable tent, cot or air mattress, and other comfortable items stashed in the truck just in case. I have only had a chance to use the comfortable camp scenario once in 13 years but it was great, the rest of the years I slept under a tarp or lightweight one person tent a long ways from the truck.

Unless you have been in there scouting and know right where the elk are, it might be more beneficial to camp by the truck. That way you are much more mobile and you aren't restricted to a single area. It's just never fun to get to an area only to realize that there are people everywhere or there are no animals. Sure, you may have to get up a little earlier to hike in past where others go, but it's definitely worth it for most situations in my opinion.
Agreed! You may change sites several times before finding the elk.

I like to do both. I have my camper as base camp but will still backpack in: usually for a night or two depending on the hunting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back