Any info on NM Elk Unit 13

weedwacker42

Hello all! Been reading this forum for awhile now. Very good insight and info from an experienced group. Thanks for letting me eavesdrop!

About me: From KS. Flat of land as it comes. I'm new to elk hunting/mountain hunting. My best friend and I do a lot of whitetail hunting around here as well as the usual upland, waterfowl, turkey. He has hunted WY elk the last few years. We had planned to go to his WY unit but struck out there and then struck out on an outfitted hunt in the NM draw. We are thinking of picking up some unit 13 landowner tags for early archery elk and doing it on our own. While I haven't had boots on the ground, I am an info junkie. I've been reading forums, watching videos, etc for the last couple of years while simultaneously accumulating gear. We finally decided to just make our own luck and go for it. Looking forward to getting my behind kicked I suppose!

After scouring for tags, we came up with unit 13 for around the same price of a guided hunt had we drawn tags. There doesn't seem to be a wealth of (shared) knowledge online about the unit. So far I have gleaned: Elk are south (Cibola Nat'l Forest, BLM), deer are north. Find water! Roads are horrible if it rains! Mix of high desert with intense vertical, rugged elevation climbs and flatlands. Not a ton of elk, but some bruisers. Forest can be thick. Get up high and glass. Likely a lot of outfitters in the area. The little info gathered has been on GoHunt, elk101.com, and a little from bowsite.com. I wish I could say I'd be able to get out there and scout this summer, but it won't happen with work. My 10 days off will be spent travelling and then hunting.

I never know if it's worth posting/asking for info on these forums, because I know no one wants to give up their spots which is TOTALLY understandable. Just looking for anything anyone is willing to share. PMs are fine if anyone has anything.

Thanks again for considering. Hope everyone's fall plans are coming together!

Ryan

Jay Scott recently did a podcast with a guy that outfits 12&13 - has some good general information on the unit so probably worth a listen.

Back