35 Remington for black bear

king13

I’m thinking of using my 35 Remington for black bear in Saskatchewan this year. I would be using hornady 200 grain ftx. My question is has anyone used that ammo for bear and how did you like it.

I’m thinking of using my 35 Remington for black bear in Saskatchewan this year. I would be using hornady 200 grain ftx. My question is has anyone used that ammo for bear and how did you like it.
I havnt shot a bear with it but lots of other critters (mostly whitetails) with the gummytip factory ammo and they are fine. I handload 220 hotcores out of personal preference and have shot bears, elk and dozens of deer with 220s. If i didnt handload i wouldnt hesitate to use the gummies on anything i have hunted other than maybe elk.

I don't have first hand exp with the 35 Rem on black bear but have shot several white tail using a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem (200 grain Core-Lokt) and its done the job with authority. I was part of a bear camp this past fall where a 200# bear was taken with a 35 Rem and the results were impressive. I'd feel confident using a 35 Rem on black bear so long as the shots are within 100 yards. Others might feel confident taking longer pokes with a 35 Rem but 100 yards is my personal cut off.

Good luck up in Saskatchewan!

Back