10 year old deer hunting mentor season?

D4570

What do you think ?
I have mixed emotions about it, In my mind it is just a way for dad to shoot an extra deer.

A few years ago Montana started a mentor / 10 year old deer hunt.

I never checked in to it to see what all is involved.

My little Granddaughter expressed a desire to try it this next season.

Both my kids started hunting at 12 but like both the GDs they accompanied me before they could walk well.

The big GD only went "Deer" hunting once and did not cair for it, She is now in the air force, and still likes to go gopher and target shooting.

My Little one goes a LOT with me, fishing too, she has shot a good chunk of gophers and a few rabbits and one coyote.

She is still so small I have to carry her gun my 10/22 with a scope, and help hold it up.

I put a Bi pod on it with long legs to let her shoot with out my help, it works , kinda cumbersome but works.

Her mom has a 243 that I often use and will shoot flies at 100 yards but it is a full sized savage and quite heavy, even for her 4'7" mom.

The boy has a 7.62x39 bolt action with a 3X9 scope and small almost youth sized stock, VERY little recoil.

I'm thinking it would be a better choice.

We don't "Blind" hunt so it would have to be a spot and stock hunt.

That part is not a big deal, But we will have to do a BUNCH of shooting this summer before I would feel comfortable with her shooting a deer. I have a full sized deer target we used to work with her big sister. I take it out and put it in a coulee or something then take the GD out "Hunting" when she Spots the deer she has to make all the decision to shoot or not and set up her self fine where to shoot it then do it while I watch for safety issues and techniques.

In the past we used "trail boss" loads till we are out hunting.

Going to work? Or just not ethical?

Thoughts?

Take her and have fun. The program is perfectly suited for people like you and your grand daughter.

I am all for getting more kids into the woods (and adults for that matter). However, I don't think ANYONE should be allowed to be in the woods with a gun and shoot a deer until they have passed a hunters safety course. You could lower Hunter ed down to 10 to make them qualified. I've had 10 year olds in my class before. I really don't care who holds the gun until the moment its shot, or how long "dad" or whoever has hunter or how safe they are. There is so much covered in a class that would be useful and help them that this just boggles my mind.

Since you asked...

Pennsylvania has had a youth mentor program for a number of years now. Grandsons and granddaughters have killed deer and turkey with gun and/or crossbows since they were 6 or 7 yrs. old. Can’t carry gun, the adult mentor handles gun until shooting time. I say it’s a good thing, enjoy it. I have been with them on many first kills. Besides hunting today and being involved in school sports, one of them shoots long range target with his Dad and grandpa and another is involved in trap shooting. One of the concerns in our area was that it would deter them from wanting to hunt/shoot later on. It hasn’t happened yet.

Great Idea.Stared well before 10yrs.Dad as mentor,He's out back right now with a 15yr. old and her first bow.Start Em' young and teach them right.Hunter Safety a must.:Only draw back was constant commands while very nervous and trying to consentrate.Not good for learning purposes.
Let them learn on thier own with good technique taught by you.Not yelling in thier ear on the firing line:cool:

Last edited:
The age restrictions baffle me out west. In the east kids are hunting at a much earlier age and have been for a very long time. There doesn't seem to be any safety issues or increase in illegal activity. So based on that I see absolutely no reason to not take full advantage of taking a young hunter out. I think getting kids involved early is essential for hunter recruitment. Go and enjoy. I think your idea for practice is great but don't over think it. You'll be there to help with decision making so just make sure they can shoot both off a bench but also in a field situation like you wanted.

Those youth hunts go here in Iowa. No issues. Usually those who to be out there are there. Those who don't aren't. I cannot think of anyone who goes for the extra meat.

good luck to all
the dog

I am all for getting more kids into the woods (and adults for that matter). However, I don't think ANYONE should be allowed to be in the woods with a gun and shoot a deer until they have passed a hunters safety course. You could lower Hunter ed down to 10 to make them qualified. I've had 10 year olds in my class before. I really don't care who holds the gun until the moment its shot, or how long "dad" or whoever has hunter or how safe they are. There is so much covered in a class that would be useful and help them that this just boggles my mind.

Since you asked...

Agree.
I have never been a fan of eight (or 10 for that matter) year old Jimmy, accompanied by Uncle Buck, shootin' his first whitetail before having completed any type of hunter ed.
I have a feeling I'm in the minority...........

My two grandsons were mentored by me and my SIL to turkey hunt in Wyo at ages 8, 9, & 10. When they took their hunter safety at nine, both passed handily. We took them to Kansas this past fall and both shot whitetail bucks at age 10, because Wyoming has a minimum age of 12 on big game. There is no age limit in Kansas, but there is a hunter safety requirement, as it should be, and in my opinion it should be left up to the parent who knows when the child is ready to hunt, as to what age they start.

Bottom line, take them when you think they are ready, not when the law says you can go.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adscarpernter
Back