Yeti GOBOX Collection

Score Guess

----

I don't have any good pictures of him, so I took lots of crappy ones! All the same ram.

RAM3_zps3f51be65.jpg

RAM2_zps07181316.jpg

RAM1_zpsf17d673d.jpg

RAM4_zpsa9d6801c.jpg

RAM5_zpsf5fd7fe6.jpg

RAM6_zps90221572.jpg

My incredibly amateur guesses- 34-35" horns, with 14-14.5" bases, which would put him right around 170"?

I bet his left side will go close to 36", and he carries his mass fairly well. Best guess, Green ~173"

To give a bit of perspective, Here's a couple pics of a fairly similar looking Ram that my Dad shot last year. This ram scored 186" Green.

I will say 180. It all depends on the bases. If you're familar with the area and can make an educated guess on average bases I that area, that really helps.

My wife's ram scored 169 and change. I think this ram is a little longer. Looks like 7 1/2 years old??? I'm going to say 174-176. Totally depends on the bases. My wife's ram had 16" bases. That adds up fast.

Attachments

• Montana Spring 2014.jpg
    Montana Spring 2014.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,135
Nice looking ram for sure. I dont think he has the length others have given him, but he holds his mass quite well. My guess: 34" will stop his long horn but he has really decent mass, so......163"-165".

I think the more pictures I look at, and the more guesses I see, I'm levitating more towards 165 than 170. Personally, I think Gerald's wife's ram looks bigger, but man it's hard to tell on these. It's hard to find pictures online of officially scored rams of this caliber. Desert rams yeah, but not Rocky's. I didn't have to look at a whole lot of Desert pictures before it became obvious they're head's a lot smaller so it's hard to compare.

The reason I ask- I spent a couple days in a unit in MT that has 'good' drawing odds for Montana, and I've never seen mentioned among trophy units. The sheep are a lot harder to get in to, and there's not a ton of them. This was the best ram I located in those two days.

Would you be willing to burn max points to hunt rams of this class away from the roads? Or has Montana's reputation of '180 or bust' gotten in to your head enough that a ram like this doesn't interest you?

Like Gerald said, he looks like he's at least seven years old. I think I'd gladly blow my once in a lifetime sheep tag on a ram like this.

Last edited:
To each their own, but I wouldn't burn my only opportunity on a MT sheep on that ram. No way. Not in any unit.

That unit is know for tight curl rams, which means shorter length.I am no sheep expert, not by a long shot and only have enough advice to be dangerous. My only experience with them comes from shoeing them out of the road on my way home from elk hunting.

I'm by no means a sheep scoring expert but I looked at a lot of rams this year with my tag. If the expectations of the unit are 165-170 top, I'd shoot him. If you're thinking 180+, I'd pass.

Back