Cooler Math

jryoung

I've been shopping for an overpriced cooler for a while now and while I get there are many variables across cooler lines and who's can keep ice better I wanted to compare some factual data. So I took the measurement data provided by the manufacturers, both external (for reference) and internal and did some math.

One, I wanted to understand how different makers got different numbers for their size so I could make an apples to apples comparison. I'm guessing I may not be factoring something in, but how does a "65" cooler have a quart volume of 59.8, 68.8 and 44.6? I'd like to solve this piece before making a decision, but if my math makes sense then the actual cost / CuIn paints a different picture of what you are actually getting for a cooler (again assuming ice retention and warranty are immaterial when laid side by side).

I've always been a big fan of Pelican products, and it seems they are a bit conservative with their quart measurements. Certainly they tend to be on the heavy side as well as sizeable external dimensions but they appear to be the best bang for the buck.

Anyway, thought I'd share...please feel free to poke holes in my rationale. I'd like to tighten this calculation up if possible.

Attachments

• cooler math.jpg
    cooler math.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 853
I saw a review about how "bear resistant" these same cooler were at a zoo. They discovered that a bear could easily defeat the rubber closures of the Yeti and similarly closed coolers while the Pelican hasp closure survived with only a broken carry handle.

interesting. I wonder how Yeti can say that they are bear resistant?

I believe they (Yeti) are only bear resistant if you lock with padlocks.

Last edited:
Was just browsing Costco online and they have the Pelican 65 and 95 quarts for $279 and $379, respectively. That adjusts their costs to $0.07/cuin, and $0.065/cuin. Not sure where they other makers are shaking out at and if there have been any price adjustments, but for a topshelf cooler these are a pretty solid deal.

I watched this video as well before purchasing some coolers. I was pleasantly surprised on how the Coleman coolers did. As with most things you get a lot of people that are sponsored by high end gear talking a lot about it and recommending it...whereas there is plenty of gear that works just fine or just as good and is a lot cheaper. Buying a Yeti cooler is pretty ridiculous unless you just have money to throw around...plus take into account the chances of a bear actually targeting your cooler. This is what most brands try and get you with these days "that chance" that it might happen so spend the extra hundreds of dollars in case it does that one time...even though all the years until now in your life or your parents life it probably didn't happen...lol. It's a ridiculous scheming world we live in, when it seems like right now is when we should be making our dollar really count.

I went with the Coleman Extreme coolers...can't beat the price on those for the quality you get.

I watched this video as well before purchasing some coolers. I was pleasantly surprised on how the Coleman coolers did. As with most things you get a lot of people that are sponsored by high end gear talking a lot about it and recommending it...whereas there is plenty of gear that works just fine or just as good and is a lot cheaper. Buying a Yeti cooler is pretty ridiculous unless you just have money to throw around...plus take into account the chances of a bear actually targeting your cooler. This is what most brands try and get you with these days "that chance" that it might happen so spend the extra hundreds of dollars in case it does that one time...even though all the years until now in your life or your parents life it probably didn't happen...lol. It's a ridiculous scheming world we live in, when it seems like right now is when we should be making our dollar really count.

I went with the Coleman Extreme coolers...can't beat the price on those for the quality you get.

I've got a couple of those.. I'd be too paranoid to go and leave a Yeti or similar in the back of the truck or at the campsite.

I kept watching for deals on coolers and was able to buy a Cabelas Alaskan Guide (made by Grizzly coolers) 400-quart for $778 shipping and everything. It was on sale for $2XX something off the original price. I got $15 dollar shipping because of a promo Cabelas had going (and it shipped freight at 90 lbs!) My dad and I split the cost. This thing is built like a brick outhouse. It is supposed to hold ice for up to 19 days. I plan on testing that before too long.

Problem I have with coolers is that's the location the beer is usually hidden. 24 trips of opening and closing and the ice doesn't last anywhere near advertised;)

I have a Yeti and I duct tape the seams, set in the shade, and try not to open but once every day or other day. I use a second, smaller cooler to move things into which will consume or need to access the next day or two.

I think that I will stick with my 11 CU. FT. chest freezer, and a generator.
spending $400.00 each on a couple of 150 QT. coolers just doesn't make sense to me.
but each to there own.

Kevin

Last edited:
One of my best deals EVER in the Bargain Cave was a Yeti 75 for $171 this past October. Cost per in^3 went down to a tolerable level!

I have an Engel which I gave a detailed review of on this site awhile ago. I really like it and would heartily recommend it.

My Colemans and Igloos work just fine. 100,120 qt.
Got 2 120 almost new Colemans free one day,guy upgraded........fool.
I use them for stowing gear at home & during hunt. Locks keep bears out,so far. Clean camp is most important if you want to avoid bear problems.
I freeze bottles of water to take and my food is frozen n zip-locks and keep one cooler cool with my food. I've had to take bottles out to thaw for water on day 5. Shade does wonders,a old sleeping bag thrown over with a tarp,your golden.For a week.
When it comes time for meat I air cool it and get it into cooler with some frozen bottles or head for blocks.Usually it's a place to put the quarters in on way home that's clean.Usually an hour or so.
Long trips,dry ice is only way to go...
Don't leave coolers in sun and if your in bear country stay away from camps that are trashed with empties and food wrappers food and grease in fire ring..................or someone stays in camp.

If a bear wants in something,it will get in. Black ,brown,grizzled,Yeti Coleman,freezer....truck,cabin tent....They like to take bear proof cans and hide them................

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papretzelman
Back