Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

2014 Public Land Idaho Archery Bull

Hunt_fish_Family

My buddy Paul and I headed to the Panhandle of Idaho for an OTC Archery Elk Hunt. We knew little of the area but headed there anyways. After some research and the help of a drop camp smack in the middle of nowhere we set out for a 7 day hunt. The first two days we were getting oriented to the new land and were faced with some of the steepest and thickest terrain either of us Western Hunters have experienced. The ground was thick with deadfall and sneaking up to anything would be a challenge. We adapted to our new environment and split up to find these dark timber beasts.

Last Saturday evening (09/13), after 48 miles of hiking all the hard work paid off. I was able to get in on a bugle, stalk (30 min per 15 yards of soft stepping) to within 70 yards of this elk and then the game was on. His cow stepped out and pinned me down. I saw and heard WWIII going on uphill as this magnificent creature worked over some pine saplings. Watching 3-4" thick saplings getting bent over and worked hard puts things in perspective.

Finally he began down towards me on a 50 degree hill. I had ranged some trees before and was mentally prepared for the shot. No one could have prepared me for the adrenaline rush though! The Elk stepped into my arrows path at 38 yards uphill. The arrow entered low chest, traveled upwards and made it's mark. The elk went about 70 yards uphill (Thank god!!!) and disappeared. The emotions rocked me as I waited to blood trail. Was it a good hit? Was the animal still running? All these questions were answered when I blood trailed him for about 100 yards and found him on the forest floor.

He was a beautiful 6x6 that later green scored at 336.5". I will definitely never forget this hunt!!! Enjoy the pictures!

Attachments

• DSCF4517.JPG
    DSCF4517.JPG
    379.6 KB · Views: 1,125
  • #2.jpg
    #2.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,127
  • #3.jpg
    #3.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 1,133
  • #4.jpg
    #4.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,125
  • #5.jpg
    #5.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,175
Congrats Dog Day. You 'spose those great spice rubs you sell will get some product testing done on that old boy. Very happy to see you have that kind of success. Thanks for sharing here.

and i was led to believe there were no decent bulls in idaho

congrats on a beauty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back