Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Montana Merriams (Fall Season)

mcalejg

I am visiting Jackson, WY Labor day weekend, and don't fly back home until September 3rd, so I have arranged to try and harvest a Merriam in Montana Sept 1-3 (bc the fall season will be open). I am from Mobile, AL, and have been hunting Easterns my whole life, and it has always been a dream of mine to harvest a Merriam.

Any and all advice is welcomed and appreciated. I found out there are not many birds in SW Montana, so I will probably have to travel to Billings or further, but that doesn't bother me too much. I don't really need a guide, and I don't need food or lodging, but I do need a place to hunt with lots of birds. I have friends who have gone out to South Dakota and East Montana, and they said most people couldn't care less about the Turkeys, and they will let you shoot them (this is what I am looking for).

If you have any advice on where I need to be looking or who I need to call, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Joe McAleer
251-680-1074

I've ran across a few in WY but not like the Black Hills or NW Nebraska. Let me know if you want a spot to hunt in NW Nebraska. You can shoot 4 in the fall here. Tags are about $100 for 2 birds.

I have friends who have gone out to South Dakota and East Montana, and they said most people couldn't care less about the Turkeys, and they will let you shoot them (this is what I am looking for).

That is very much dependent on the landowner--- some consider them their "personal pets" and are repulsed by the thought of someone shooting one.

Thanks for the reply. I won't be able to hunt in Nebraska this trip, but I plan on coming back out next year and will definitely keep you in mind.

I've ran across a few in WY but not like the Black Hills or NW Nebraska. Let me know if you want a spot to hunt in NW Nebraska. You can shoot 4 in the fall here. Tags are about $100 for 2 birds.

Thanks for the reply redwood. Red Lodge is fairly close to Jackson, so that intrigues me quite a bit. Can you let me know who I need to get in touch with or direct me to some land (public or private) I can possibly hunt?

Red lodge area has a bunch. Most areas along the Yellowstone.

Thanks for the reply redwood. Red Lodge is fairly close to Jackson, so that intrigues me quite a bit. Can you let me know who I need to get in touch with or direct me to some land (public or private) I can possibly hunt?

In Mid-August FWP publishes the landowners that signed up for the Block Management Program... Which is a program that allows hunters access to the private land--- Look through that. Lots of landowners signed up have turkeys. For most of the areas, you can print the maps right off the FWP website that also gives the contact info for permission or tells you where the sign in boxes are located. Good luck!

IIRC Montana lets you shoot them with a rifle. If I were you and on such a tight schedule I'd at least think about taking one.

Thanks doublea_85, I will look into that. I appreciate everyones help and input, keep it coming.

Joe

In Mid-August FWP publishes the landowners that signed up for the Block Management Program... Which is a program that allows hunters access to the private land--- Look through that. Lots of landowners signed up have turkeys. For most of the areas, you can print the maps right off the FWP website that also gives the contact info for permission or tells you where the sign in boxes are located. Good luck!

I don't have specific names to offer, but all along rock creek is loaded with birds. Lots in and around the town itself.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back