One in the hand...

dcopas78

Well as the old saying goes; "One bird in the hand is better than two in the bush." This is the first jake I have shot in many years, but this year in southern Ohio has all the makings of one tough turkey year and I wanted to get one tag filled. The gobblers are not responding to calling at all, and they shut up as soon as they hit the ground. For the second day in a row, I have watched a big tom walk past just out of range. The decoys may as well not have been out. It's a good thing we have a two tag season, because I just had an itchin' to try out my new turkey gun, and he sure is gonna taste mighty good! That big ole tom is gonna stretch his luck just a little too often. It's a long season and he's got a date with the business end of my shotgun!

Attachments

• 20140422_085319.jpg
    20140422_085319.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 368
  • 20140422_085353.jpg
    20140422_085353.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 369
Much better eating, and that leaves the old tom to breed the ladies. Congratulations and they are acting the same here; maybe gobble once on the roost and the minute they hit the ground they go quiet and hardly respond to calling at all.

That gun looks like a serious piece of turkey worry. Congratulations and happy dining.

Congrats! I hope I can find some chatty birds this weekend. Working gobbling birds is most of the fun.

Nothing wrong with that bird and they are great eating. The hunt is still the same whether the bird is big or small. Good job.

I killed my third and last turkey of the season this morning. It was a jake, also. He drew the short straw, as the big ones smelled a rat and would not commit.

Congrats! I hope I can find some chatty birds this weekend. Working gobbling birds is most of the fun.

1PT, they were goin crazy this morning in Putnam Co. We heard several and I finally put one down around 9am. 27lbs, 11inch beard, little over 1inch spurs. ( pics to follow) Not my biggest, but 2nd for sure.

no shame in a Jake. It will taste just as good. . nice way to break in that new gun!!:)

Thanks for the comments all. Definitely nice to have something to eat other than tag stew. I fileted out all the breast meat and got the rest of it striped off. I'm planning on going out for some more morels tomorrow and having blackened turkey breast sandwiches and morels about Friday :D

1PT, they were goin crazy this morning in Putnam Co. We heard several and I finally put one down around 9am. 27lbs, 11inch beard, little over 1inch spurs. ( pics to follow) Not my biggest, but 2nd for sure.

no shame in a Jake. It will taste just as good. . nice way to break in that new gun!!:)
Congrats! The reports from my BIL said they were talking yesterday down south as well. He got one, but I'm not sure on size. I'm hoping to put a couple to bed tonight and see what happens tomorrow!

Congrat's, From what I've been reading around the net about birds shutting up after fly down , mainly because the season is so late, Birds have hens on the hook. Their just now starting to respond her in Md and Va. Give it another week.

Congrat's, From what I've been reading around the net about birds shutting up after fly down , mainly because the season is so late, Birds have hens on the hook. Their just now starting to respond her in Md and Va. Give it another week.

Yeah that is exactly the problem here. The last two weeks of the season are the best here. We can only hunt till noon first two weeks and all day final two weeks. Seems like I have better luck in the afternoon anymore.

Yeah that is exactly the problem here. The last two weeks of the season are the best here. We can only hunt till noon first two weeks and all day final two weeks. Seems like I have better luck in the afternoon anymore.

I think that is the problem all over. I can get them because I sit here and watch them out of window and form a plan. They are not bugling much after hitting the ground!:D

Back