Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

CDS 101 for dummies

noharleyyet

Just provided ballistics and ordered my first for a VX6/300 WSM. Can someone give me the layman starter kit set up? Easy install?

..talk slowly, thanks:eek:

Once you get the dial, head to the range and zero for whatever range you set zero for. For example my dial on my 7mm was set for a 200yd zero, so I zeroed my scope at 200, then locked the dial in.

Easy peasy.

Once it is put in place, stretch it's legs to confirm how it tracks.

Should have went M1...

But since you didnt, take jryoungs advice and pray your ballistics information was correct and you never have to change loads.

Make sure everything is level when you mount your scope or you'll find out pretty quick its not, when you get out past 400-500.

Last edited:
Should have went M1...

But since you didnt, take jryoungs advice and pray your ballistics information was correct and you never have to change loads.

Make sure everything is level when you mount your scope or you'll find out pretty quick its not, when you get out past 400-500.
Another option is to get a MOA only dial and use it like an M1.

Sight in 3" high at 100 yards and don't shoot at critters over 325, and you're good go to. Much easier than playing with a turret. :)

NHY,

What is your load for that .300WSM? And do you have a goal range to get comfortable with the rifle? Did you shoot it at range before sending them info? This will all speak to the accuracy of the turret.

Install for the turrets should be incredibly straight forward... Remove a couple set screws, pull off old turret, place new turret on, replace set screws. Zero rile for prescribed range, re-zero turret. Set to jet.

Extended range shooting is science as much as anything else. The accuracy of the information provided will dictate the accuracy of the outcome.

I had a custom turret made and switched back to the stock MOA turret. I used the Gseven.com free ballistics program to generate a drop chart, then went to the range to verify. You can enter variances from the projected POI versus the actual POI and the program will correct and generate new drops. I took the data in 25 yard increments and generated my own drop chart with windage in inches for 5, 10 and 15 mph wind. If its gusting over 15, I'll wait for a better opportunity. Whenever I change loads, I generate a new drop chart and use the same turret.

As was stated earlier, a level scope is critical and a level hold even more so. When you are out of level raising the elevation will also cause the POI to move right or left depending on the cant and it can be significant the greater the range. A clamp on scope level is a good addition.

Yep, right up to 1 full twist...then you're done...no?

BuzzH-

The MOA CDS on my Ultralight will go past 1 twist, but there is no micrometer tree to refer to. [Edited due to posters head in forth point of contact].

Had I not been trying to shave as much weight as possible and not planned to shoot beyond 500, I would have done the M1 as well. If you plan to shoot beyond 4-500yds, the M1 has a marked advantage in my mind.

Last edited:
Yep, right up to 1 full twist...then you're done...no?

Not really. A typical 1,000 yard drop would be would be 22.5 MOA. The CDS gives 15 MOA ( which is about an 800 yard target typically) in the first twist and another half twist gets you there. I always reset back to the 200 yard zero after a shot while hunting or after a group at the range.

Is that only on scopes ordered as CDS? Otherwise, I didn't think that the turret could change the graduation in the optic... Interesting!

I will double check it. I have not used it yet, but I remember being surprised when I mounted it, and played with it a little. I thought maybe it was just because it was an ultralight. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me.

NHY,

What is your load for that .300WSM? And do you have a goal range to get comfortable with the rifle? Did you shoot it at range before sending them info? This will all speak to the accuracy of the turret.

Install for the turrets should be incredibly straight forward... Remove a couple set screws, pull off old turret, place new turret on, replace set screws. Zero rile for prescribed range, re-zero turret. Set to jet.

Extended range shooting is science as much as anything else. The accuracy of the information provided will dictate the accuracy of the outcome.

180 Nosler Accubonds at 3035....Yes, range chrono'd, 100 yd zero, 75 avg temp, 1000' elevation, 800 zero stop. Thought I'd take advantage of the free CDS. 440 has been my longest shot.

I am considering the M1 on another 300 Win Mag w/ a VX3 if I like the CDS.

Bambi, 3" @ 100 is pretty much what I've been doing before heading west each fall.

I will double check it. I have not used it yet, but I remember being surprised when I mounted it, and played with it a little. I thought maybe it was just because it was an ultralight. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me.

Yeah, my headspace and timing was off. It was my Viper HSLR that has 1/2 MOA elevation not the Leupold. Oops. Original statement retracted.

180 Nosler Accubonds at 3035....Yes, range chrono'd, 100 yd zero, 75 avg temp, 1000' elevation, 800 zero stop. Thought I'd take advantage of the free CDS. 440 has been my longest shot.

What did you tell them for BC on those NAB's the factory .508G1? Out to 400-450 it may not be a big diference, but especially with altitude and truing the BC, you may find that the load shoots high of the dial out west... It will be hard to tell without actually shooting it, but I would predict some inaccuracies especially out to 800...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back