Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Why being organized matters

Ben Lamb

There are two efforts underway right now that highlight the need for hunters & anglers to be politically active, involved and willing to put down some time, money and effort. Both of these states were SFW strongholds. One is the mothership.

In Wyoming, sportsmen's organizations have banded together to fight the creeping sickness of privitization and de-funding of the Game & Fish. It should be a model of how other groups work together. There are folks on this board who are involved in the effort and are spending considerable time & effort fighting for everyone's opportunity & the North American Model.

They had 2 bills this session. One a 10% increase across the board for licenses. The other would create the authority for the Game & Fish Commission to seek general fund money for healthcare benefits & funding for Grizzly Bear management. The legislature killed the license fee increase by simply not voting to introduce it. Bill introduction during a budget session requires 2/3 vote. The other bill made it and just passed the Senate on a 17-13 vote. Close. Here's a good story on how the final vote went down:

http://wypols.com/2014/02/19/bebout-nicholas-lead-attack-on-game-fish-funding/

In Utah, where Don Peay called sportsmen whiners & sore losers for wanting their right to access rivers & streams, the Utah Stream Access Coalition is working overtime, and doing it right, in an effort to take back the access issue from SFW, et al. They have overcome tremendous odds and have worked tirelessly and deftly navigated a lot of the ins and outs of the political process.

http://www.standard.net/stories/201...blic-waterways-private-land-should-be-limited

The point is this, we can all argue over what group is the best to belong to, we can argue over how licenses are allocated and we can argue over any of the tiny little details we like to wrapped around the axle of, especially in winter. But it takes some real dedication and willingness to get belittled, derided and called all sorts of names by those who hate what you are doing. There are people in every state who fight for what we all love.

It's just kinda nice to have good news to report.

If sportsmen do not want to get run over by special interests, there is no other choice but for the hunting "factions" to come together as alliances. I am also beginning to believe that if you are not paying someone to lobby for your interests full time, then you are probably going to lose anyway.

If sportsmen do not want to get run over by special interests, there is no other choice but for the hunting "factions" to come together as alliances. I am also beginning to believe that if you are not paying someone to lobby for your interests full time, then you are probably going to lose anyway.

Lobbyists aren't dirty words or creatures. They're people who can help navigate the halls of power and open doors that would otherwise be shut.

They're the best weapon the little guy has against the big guys. Most times the conservation/sporting side is outnumbers 100 to 1 in state capitals and in DC.

I know some of the guys in DC working for us and I think they all are underpaid.

Lobbyists aren't dirty words or creatures. They're people who can help navigate the halls of power and open doors that would otherwise be shut.

They're the best weapon the little guy has against the big guys. Most times the conservation/sporting side is outnumbers 100 to 1 in state capitals and in DC.

I know some of the guys in DC working for us and I think they all are underpaid.

Amen to that Ben!

I agree with Oak, you just flat need a full time lobbyist, probably several if you really want to get something done.

The need for strong alliances on the big issues we can all support is a must. Its really interesting to see the dynamics and attitudes changing in Cheyenne. Things like the Sportsmen Reception make a difference.

I'm probably not subtle enough to ever be much of a lobbyist, but I did tell one State Senator if he's on board the SFW ship, he better get used to the bottom of the ocean. A few jaws around the table were hanging ...but hey, the truth is what it is.

There's always a time & place for the hammer of justice. I'm just glad you're on the right side. :D

I sell oil for a living, maybe you should send me your card ;);

I am set up to accept barrels of sweet crude as payment. :D

Cushman - Depending on what you are looking for: Backcountry Hunters & Anglers, Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership, National Wildlife Federation (on the green side) do good work. they focus almost exclusively on public land issues. NWF does go a little green from time to time, but they are the fist wildlife advocacy organization of the modern era.

Like all groups, you won't agree with 100% of what they do, but the balance is certainly in favor of maintain our public lands, pursuing balanced management and ensuring a future full of wildlife.

I am set up to accept barrels of sweet crude as payment. :D

Cushman - Depending on what you are looking for: Backcountry Hunters & Anglers, Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership, National Wildlife Federation (on the green side) do good work. they focus almost exclusively on public land issues. NWF does go a little green from time to time, but they are the fist wildlife advocacy organization of the modern era.

Like all groups, you won't agree with 100% of what they do, but the balance is certainly in favor of maintain our public lands, pursuing balanced management and ensuring a future full of wildlife.

But, but, but, but....

Toby Bridges told me all of those groups were:eek: anti-hunting gtoups in disguise.:eek:

JLS,

I heard the same thing...I'd really like to compare some hunting/trapping/fishing photo albums with that tool Toby Bridges sometime.

We'd find out who is anti-hunting.

What an idiot that guy is.

Maybe my tinfoil hat is getting too tight now, but I am of the opinion that Toby is a shit-stirrer to help support fund raising efforts for BGF/SFW. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit with that.

Buzz, I agree. Idiocy doesn't even begin to cover the crap that he writes on his webpage. It's not too hard to slingshot out a bunch of broad allegations with no factual basis to them. Heck, even I could do that.

Buzz, I agree. Idiocy doesn't even begin to cover the crap that he writes on his webpage. It's not too hard to slingshot out a bunch of broad allegations with no factual basis to them. Heck, even I could do that.

That scariest part is people actually believe what they read on the internet? There are far too many in this country who lack basic reason and analysis to determine if what they are reading is BS.

I found this little nugget today, well put together website, yet if you dig into the details you'd find that there are none. Everything is unsubstantiated.

http://www.greendecoys.com/

This crap is happening everywhere.

I just found this today...

Double the "wealth tags" in Alaska and up the profit to the "non-profit" from 10 to 25%!

http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/get_bill_text.asp?hsid=HB0161A&session=28

Proposing to sell 40 permits. When will this shit end!?!?

Alaska's game department is NOT hurting for money, nor are there any special projects that need to be done. They can't spend all the money they get now! There is absolutely no need for these extra tags... well unless you're SFW and get half of them.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back