Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Mule deer in the high country?

Paul in Idaho

Maybe because I grew up in southern Idaho, to me big mule deer country means desert. I'm trying to hunt central Idaho instead now, and my open-country lowland mindset is messing me up.

I am looking for input on learning the habits of muleys in the high country. I have Valerius Geist's book Mule Deer Country. If any of you could suggest other books or online resources I could read to learn about deer in alpine areas, I'd appreciate it.

Most of the mule deer I see mid October are not high or low on the hill where its open. They are in the thick middle part of the mountain where they can be tuff to hunt. It may take years of hiking to learn a few good spots and you may never find any great spots, I haven't.

High country (above timberline) is usually while in velvet before any weather hits. First snow was early this year, seems to push them into the timber at lower elevations. Where I was, that was 1000 feet lower on the hill.

When the snow piles up and crusts the deer are moving to winter range.

The deer I spotted during my Oct hunt were around aspens within 500 yards of their feeding areas. New burns had the most deer. First week of October the bucks were hard horned but still grouped up in bachelor groups.

I found I was either "in the deer" or nothing. when you get in the deer, slow down and identify where you are on the ridge in terms of cover, exposure, and plant community and look for more like that.

I was surprised at all the "bucky" country that did not have deer in it...

Thanks everyone. My local library has one of Mike Eastman's books, so I'll grab it as soon as it is returned. I ordered David Long's book too.

I'll be headed back up next weekend to look for a buck, in a different and higher area.

mule deer

I just got back from hunting elk in unit 66 of Colorado and saw around 200 mule deer including a solid 30 incher. The deer were in stands of aspens at around 9500 feet and were well below the timberline. What seemed to work was covering lots of country via four wheel drive. The bucks were fairly easy to locate. Unfortunately the elk were scarce.

Years ago when stationed in northern California with USAF, my friend and I hunted within the Carson-Iceberg Wilderness each September. This beautiful place is located at about 8,500 ft elevation in Alpine County. But the mule deer population is low per square mile because of food sources. This is mature pine forest habitat. We back packed in about 7 miles to set up our base camp to hunt for mulies. Hard work for lungs accustomed to breathing at sea level. We always filled our buck tags but no trophy size animals were ever observed.

My suggestion is to seek out food sources and set up ambush sites about 75 yards downwind. To find out more about food sources you should consider calling a biologist working for the Game and Fish Department.

TR

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back