Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Unit 36 New Mexico muzzy hunt...

Bill, I did the late rifle hunt in unit 36 in 2011 and got a nice bull. Saw a really nice bull the day before the season but he disappeared. We already exchanged some PM's on MonsterMuleys, but if you have any specific questions drop me a line.

Like I mentioned before, that is the hunt that convinced me to get in shape, it will put a hurt on you with some steep ups and downs if you aren't ready. But I guess that describes most places that elk like to hang out! I'm happy with the bull I killed there, but I wish I had the tag again being in the shape that I am now because I would hunt it a little differently and a lot harder. As it was I was about ready to shoot anything toward the end of the 2nd day just to get the hunt over.

Good luck, there are some monsters in there if you work for them.

Nathan

Thanks Nathan...I've been walking a lot to get in shape for the hunt. I know the hills will be challenging. I've walked 34 on hilly terrain so I know what to expect. I read your full posts in MM and was impressed with the elk you harvested. BTW, a great read. Glad to hear you tagged out again this year. I will have a guide for two days and then be on my own for three days if I don't tag out with the guide. Hope to drop one early but I know how hard elk hunting is. I just enjoy being out in the woods hearing the bulls screaming. :D

I never hunted elk in 36 when I lived in Alamogordo, but I saw some monsters when I was on the west side hunting bears. The country above the camp ground in from Three Rivers is really tough country, but I saw some bulls there that were incredible. I saw them from the lower levels all the way to timberline.

I hunted 36 about 6 years ago. There are quite a few elk in there but I don't know what it's like since the big fire there last year. The best advice I can give you is ...get in shape !!!.... If you hunt the White MT. Wilderness that is one steep, nasty place !!! Good luck.

Thanks all....as much as I try to get in shape for these elk hunts...they always seem to kick my rear end somehow. This will be my 4th elk hunt in NM. I know the terrain and altitudes can be a challenge....plus I'm not getting any younger. I think as long as I remain motivated...I can achieve my goals. Harvesting an elk would be nice, however, I just plain enjoy the total elk hunt experience. My fondest memories are hearing the bulls screaming in the pre-dawn hours within bow distance and my hands trembling as the bull came closer to my position. That is an experience every hunter should have.:D

Back