Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Rifle Build Questions

Lookin' good brother lookin' good

My last rifle took a year but it felt like 5 so I know that feeling of wanting to have it done in time to get it dialed in for the season.

Well here is the final product! I received the stock the day I left for WY in OCT, so it missed this season, but it will be making the trek to MT next fall. Unfortunately, I am going to be gone all spring/summer/early fall for work, so I am not going to have a lot of time to get something worked up as far as loads go, but I will get out and find a good factory load, and get the CDS dial ordered, so when next November rolls around it will be ready.

Once I get it on a postal scale, and out to the range I will post up some pics of the results.

IMG_1874.jpg
IMG_1875.jpg
IMG_1877.jpg

Thanks guys. Pat, the leupy ultralight is awesome! I am excited to get it on a scale, but I am guessing it will be about 6.5lbs with 3 rounds of .260 and a sling.

J.R., I will have to ask the wife about that. we were supposed to be coming out there next fall with some of our friends, but both me and my buddy are going to be gone, so it might be just our wives. We only have about 10 weekends left before I have to go, so time is already getting short.

Really nice rifle......what does Mcmillan call that particular paint pattern?
Is that cerakote flat black? or more of a graphite? Hard to tell in the pics.

That turned out great! I have a strong feeling that someday I'm gonna have a light/med weight 260. I dig my current one, but it's a pig. IMO the 260 is a great cartridge for most of the hunting I do.

That turned out really awesome Ross, it's got business written all over it.

The one thing I would change about your prescription is the Leupold scope. For a few more $$ you can move up to Swarovski with a 30mm tube and it's like someone turned on the lights.. Much better optics and brighter view.. better field of view also..

What ultralight Swaro comes with 30mm tube? The only I know of is the z3 3-9x36 but that is a 1" and still almost twice as expensive, 30% heavier and only 3.3ft for FOV at 3x @100yds.

Well, I took advantage of the federal holiday today and honored our Founding Fathers by braving the cold and spending some time at the range. My main goal was getting a factory load picked out for my .260 that would get me through spring bear hunting. I was a little concerned about how light this rifle is, and that it might not be that stable, but based on the results it doesn't seem to be an issue.

I tested out 4 loads, Nosler custom (125PT and 130AB), Corbon 120 TTSX, Barnes Vortx 120 TTSX. None shot badly, the Corbon being the worst at just over an inch. The best load ended up being the 130 Accubond; which if I did my job was coming in around 1/2in @ 100.

It looks like I found some good bear medicine for this spring. I am hoping to get a load worked up with some 140ABs, but these look like they will get the job done for now.

2 Adjustment groups. Both were 3 shots, the lower one is the best group I got out of it.
IMG_2014.jpg

5 shots. This one probably had more to do with 12 degrees, and shooter error than the rifle.
IMG_2013.jpg

Nice groups! I just finished cleaning the drool off my keyboard. The bears are quivering in their dens right now. I think you and your rifle may single handedly keep all the bears from emerging from hibernation until June 15.

Nice, save those accubonds! You can't find the 6.5 130g anywhere! Btw, Are those Talleys the Low or medium?

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peytb10
Back