Old 03-21-2013, 07:28 AM

Default Colorado Boycott?

Think anyone will boycott Colorado for hunting? I read a report that the hunting and fishing industry dumps $1.8 Billiion into Colorado's economy every year. Think non-residents will boycott the state because of the new gun laws passed?

Personally, not that anyone cares, I really was saving (slowly) for a Colorado elk hunt. Not anymore. I don't think CO will care about me and my measly "hopefully get there some day" trip, but it's the principle.

Man, there are so many on my personal boycott list that the only place I'll be able to shop for anything is Cabela's.

Emrah
Old 03-21-2013, 07:56 AM

Folks say they'll boycott now (March), but come Fall I'd be willing to bet the mountains still look like a pumpkin patch

Lets face it, where else they gonna go?
Old 03-21-2013, 08:21 AM

Boycotting is not going to do anything to change the laws in Colorado and certainly the DOW has nothing to do with the law. The residents have to do it with their vote!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:22 AM

Emrah- wasn't Cabelas on a lot of people's boycott list just a little bit ago? I thought it was about selling off ranchettes and some other things. My point is this...you can always find a reason to not do something if you look hard enough. If the Colorado legislature and Governor have decided on gun legislation, that's their choice...it won't be a deterent for me to do something if I really wanted to do it. If I was on the fence about doing it, maybe. If you want, I can give you a ton of reasons to not hunt every state...but if you like to hunt, that's the only reason you need to keep at it.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:24 AM

My answer not in any way shape or form will it effect the number of hunters in CO. Most of the laws passed are not gonna effect hunters in anyway shape or form from what I've heard. I need to actually go read those bills anyway. Like JlMatthew said it will still look like a pumpkin patch come October.....
Old 03-21-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmatthew View Post
Folks say they'll boycott now (March), but come Fall I'd be willing to bet the mountains still look like a pumpkin patch

Lets face it, where else they gonna go?
Serious question...are Coloradans that outnumbered by liberals and non native move ins...or do many moderate/conservative constituents boycott the ballot box?

Last edited by noharleyyet; 03-21-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Boycotting Colorado is so much nonsense. Think about who supported the folks who passed these bills and then think about who gets hurt by a boycott from hunters.. These polticians and their bills weren't supported by the west slope small town merchants, the motels owners, the gas station owner, the waitress and bartender who benefits from tips left by hunters, or any of the people who are most negatively impacted by a boycott from hunters. Yet, those are the people who feel the brunt of a misguided boycott.

In fact, a boycott does exactly the opposite to these people who are probably the same kind of folks we are. Do you really want to take a swing at the small businesses who already feel kicked in the groin by these politicians.

If anything, I would say that hunters should do two things - 1) Find out where the worst offenders of these gun bills work or make their living. Then go and boycott the enterprises or activities that will actually get their attention. 2) Go hunting and support these merchants who are so supportive of hunting, and in the process, make their livelihoods a little better and let them know that people do support them putting up the good fight, even in a place where they might be a minority.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run outta health before you run outta money."
Old 03-21-2013, 08:47 AM

That would be turning a blind eye to the probleum. We need to support those in Colorado who are being screwed by the people they voted to represent them. The reason they now have a probleum is because people misused Guns, we have to show what guns are safely capable of. Then vote those suckers out and reverse their law. John

Vote for Dink! He'll raise a Stink!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:05 AM

If your the boycotting type, Cabela's should be towards the top of your list...
Old 03-21-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabinFever View Post
If your the boycotting type, Cabela's should be towards the top of your list...
I will second that notion.........Stopped there this week just so the boys could look at the animals and fish and as tempting as it was to pick up a couple things, I restrained. Any "hunting" store that doesn't publicly support the management of wolves can friggin kizz my arse....... A huge dissappointment to me when I learned that but unless I can't find something somewhere else, you won't be seeing much of my money spent there.

Boycotting hunting in Colorado...........what a joke. I would bet 90% of the people that say they would, would actually do it.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:18 AM

Saw where the Colorado NRA guy (Tony Fabian) says hunters will avoid Colorado because of the magazine limits. Do you guys really think so? I guess the bill was amended to eliminate the problem of "banning" shotguns. Maybe gun rights groups should start advertizing that after all the hoopla they raised.

I remember something about one shot means meat, two shot means maybe, three shot means none. Wonder what more than fifteen shots means.

Last edited by RobG; 03-21-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:22 AM

I wish I had points in CO, with the timing of the signature and the application deadline there might be a few people drinking from their cup of stupid and some good units to be had.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:26 AM

The folks "boycotting" probably don't hunt there anyway.

I'd be more interested in boycotting those supporting the tag grabs than those that are going after my right to hunt with a belt fed weapon...

"Send a couple more slugs. It shows you care." - David Petzal
Old 03-21-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fin View Post
Boycotting Colorado is so much nonsense. Think about who supported the folks who passed these bills and then think about who gets hurt by a boycott from hunters.. These polticians and their bills weren't supported by the west slope small town merchants, the motels owners, the gas station owner, the waitress and bartender who benefits from tips left by hunters, or any of the people who are most negatively impacted by a boycott from hunters. Yet, those are the people who feel the brunt of a misguided boycott.

In fact, a boycott does exactly the opposite to these people who are probably the same kind of folks we are. Do you really want to take a swing at the small businesses who already feel kicked in the groin by these politicians.

If anything, I would say that hunters should do two things - 1) Find out where the worst offenders of these gun bills work or make their living. Then go and boycott the enterprises or activities that will actually get their attention. 2) Go hunting and support these merchants who are so supportive of hunting, and in the process, make their li velihoods a little better and let them know that people do support them putting up the good fight, even in a place where they might be a minority.
No offense Fin, but shouldn't these small business owners be standing up for themselves? I can't vote the knuckleheads out of office, only CO residents have that chance.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:41 AM

Sure, there will be some boycotters but it won't make a dent nor the right dent on the situation
Old 03-21-2013, 09:45 AM

Now if folks want to boycott Colorado because of the CPW pushing an increase in Landowner Vouchers, and let the CPW know thats the reason why their boycotting, that would be alright
Old 03-21-2013, 09:47 AM

I'm currently boycotting all Nevada hunts, Montana sheep, goat, moose and Arizona sheep and deer. I suggest you all do the same.

I've said it a thousand times. Cutoff the eastern part of the state at the base of the mountains and give it to Kansas. I'm boycotting the Denver Metro area!
Old 03-21-2013, 10:03 AM

Dink, you're so metro...
Old 03-21-2013, 10:06 AM

I've been boycotting Colorado for over 20 years.

Greenie go home!
Old 03-21-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk_hunter View Post
Dink, you're so metro...
Metrosexual man, the single young man with a high disposable income, living or working in the city (because thatís where all the best shops are), is perhaps the most promising consumer market of the decade. In the Eighties he was only to be found inside fashion magazines such as GQ, in television advertisements for Levi's jeans or in gay bars. In the Nineties, heís everywhere and heís going shopping.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrittergitter View Post
Any "hunting" store that doesn't publicly support the management of wolves can friggin kizz my arse....... A huge dissappointment to me when I learned that but unless I can't find something somewhere else, you won't be seeing much of my money spent there.
I guess I never got the memo. Does anyone have a link??
Old 03-21-2013, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmer View Post
No offense Fin, but shouldn't these small business owners be standing up for themselves? I can't vote the knuckleheads out of office, only CO residents have that chance.
I would bet 99% of them voted for legislators who were against the misguided fools who pushed this legislation through. They happen to be in the minority when compared to the masses living in the Denver metro area, so even when they are standing up for themselves, they can use some help, not a kick in the crotch.

You and I are blessed to live in states where no large metro area, mostly comprised of people who might support such gun laws, exists and dictates our lives the way that happens in Colorado. Same as it happens in Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Arizona. In those states, one or two large metro areas can drive politics to the detriment of others, even when the minority stands up and gives a good fight.

Each person to do what they want. I am not boycotting those who need my support. I will help those who need and deserve what help I can give.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run outta health before you run outta money."
Old 03-21-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk_hunter View Post
Dink, you're so metro...
Anyone who posts a boxer clad leg shaved air stem christie pic of themselves has the closet potential for ordering mocha latte venti and eyebrow tweak.

I'm not boycotting...but you couldn't get me in Denver by gunpoint (irony)

Last edited by noharleyyet; 03-21-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:33 AM
Expert

If you want to boycott CO, do it because CPW is trying to give more of your tags to landowners to sell for profit.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fin View Post
I would bet 99% of them voted for legislators who were against the misguided fools who pushed this legislation through. They happen to be in the minority when compared to the masses living in the Denver metro area, so even when they are standing up for themselves, they can use some help, not a kick in the crotch.

You and I are blessed to live in states where no large metro area, mostly comprised of people who might support such gun laws, exists and dictates our lives the way that happens in Colorado. Same as it happens in Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Arizona. In those states, one or two large metro areas can drive politics to the detriment of others, even when the minority stands up and gives a good fight.

Each person to do what they want. I am not boycotting those who need my support. I will help those who need and deserve what help I can give.
Man...and I thought I had problems here.....