Brunton
Go Back   Hunt Talk Forums > EQUIPMENT TALK > Backpacks and Camping Gear

Old 05-20-2012, 06:57 PM

Default Mystery Ranch vs. Eberlestock

Ok, so which pack would you purchase. Make sure you read this whole post before you answer though. Looking for a new pack, I have a Blacks Creek Canadian backpack 8.4lbs 2200 cu inches expands to 3850 cu inches. Looking for a new pack, don't feel mine is very comfortable. Want to shed some weight but want to keep the price down as well.
I know the frame will make a difference as well. I know my pack currently makes loads seem heavier than they actually are. I was looking on the MR site and at the Longbow. Noticed that it 6.8lbs and actually like the Coyote color as well. Like all the pockets and organization. 2400 cu inches seems a bit small for multi day backpacking. But I have not done much more than a 3 or 4 day trip so far. $464 on MR's website. I can get the Eberlestock Blue Widow for $230 7lbs 12oz, 2200 cu in and expanded 4700 cu in. Dragonfly for $258, 8.8lbs and 2900 cu in to 5245 cu in expanded.
I have also been reading about the new pack that may be coming out and that seems like it will be the cats meow.
Want to see what others will think. Thanks everyone.
BTW most of my hunting will be western mule deer or rocky mountain elk backpacking trips.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:46 PM

I would stick with one of the MR packs with extended lifters. Personally, I wouldn't own an Eberlestock.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
I would stick with one of the MR packs with extended lifters. Personally, I wouldn't own an Eberlestock.
Why not????????? I have a J34 and it is great. I would be much more interested in Mystery Ranch packs if I didn't have to go to Montana to try the dang thing on. At least at Cabela's you can go and try on the different Eberlestock packs.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:50 PM

I can only compare the J107 and the MR.

I liked the Eberle, but upgaded to the MR last year. I have only used the Longbow as a day pack and have hauled an entire boned out deer with it. With meat, head, rifle and optics it handled 94#. It road very well. I have use the CC for a multi-day backpack trip. I think it will be big enough for a week long trip in CO later this year.

I have used the Eberlestock on a couple goat hunts and have hauled out entire boned out deer with it as well. It got the job done, but wasn't very comfortable.

There are many here that have more experience with the MR, but these are my experiences with the Eberle and the MR.

Like you, I am interested in testing out the new pack that is currently being designed by MR.

Good luck. Both good packs.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:01 PM

"Why not?????????"
I want a pack with working lifters.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:33 PM
Banned

I bought the Eberle becasue of the gun scabbard design. I really like the gun sitting close to my back having my hands free for glassing. I've got the mini me and the J107 with the spike dufell. Used it today turkey hunting. Keep the decoys in the spike duffel and leaves plenty of room for birds in the main meat compartment. I also hauled a field dressed antelope last year with no problems. Havent used a MR so can't compare like MTMiller. I"d trust his opinion as he has used both.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:43 PM

Search is your friend.....

http://onyourownadventures.com/huntt...t=longbow+jose

And then, I just started browsing the Backpacks/Equipment forum, holy shit, there are a ton of threads about Mystery Ranch products....

My two cents is that the $400 for the Mystery Ranch product is worth it, as it should be the "pack of a lifetime" and not leave you wanting to upgrade in the future.

I like my Longbow, let 2 other guys wear it carrying meat (that I shot!!!), and they have now both purchased their own Longbows. Don't let the cost scare you off on a great quality product.

"Always pull up survey stakes anywhere you find them. Always." - George Washington Hayduke

Old 05-21-2012, 12:17 AM

Now has anyone had a problem with a lack of space for packing in on lets say a 5 - 7 day hunt? Tent,sleeping bag, pad, food, etc? Also on the mystery ranch is there the ability to strap a bow or rifle to the pack instead of having to carry in a sling or the normal means? Upgrading the belt to have pouches? Worth it for space or unnecessary as range finders and such have pouches that come with them when purchased.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:22 AM

Depends on how often you are going to use it as well as hoe much money you want to spend. I bought the Eberlestock BW but I will likely seldom get a chance to use it out west and on a budget. I bought it for the hunting I do around here plus a pack that can handle an elk hunt for the couple of times I hope to get out there. If I lived out West or hunted the mountains a lot more often I would spend the money and get either a MR pack or Kifaru. Whichever fit better. So far, based on my needs and funds, I have really enjoyed my Eberlestock BW and would not hesitate at picking up another Eberlestock product but I know there are better packs out there, just not at the price I bought my BW.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:45 AM

That's like wee man vs. G.S.P. Kind of a nobrainer.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:13 AM

My experience follows Mtmiller.

I strap my rifle to the side of my MR.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntbux View Post
Now has anyone had a problem with a lack of space for packing in on lets say a 5 - 7 day hunt? Tent,sleeping bag, pad, food, etc? Also on the mystery ranch is there the ability to strap a bow or rifle to the pack instead of having to carry in a sling or the normal means? Upgrading the belt to have pouches? Worth it for space or unnecessary as range finders and such have pouches that come with them when purchased.
You can buy or make your own extra straps to lash a bow or rifle to the MR. My CrewCab has both side belt pouches and they work fine.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:58 AM

asking for advise on hunt talk about any pack not made by MR is a fool's errand. You will not get any help whatsover, unless hearing a chorus of BUY MR products is what you seek. Everybody done drank the MR Kool Aid.

BTW go buy the MR pack. they are great

Huntbux, I strap my bow on my MR crew cab with no problem and no extra straps. Either across the back or along the side, depending on what else I am packing at the time.

Last edited by Khunter; 05-21-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
"Why not?????????"
I want a pack with working lifters.
Mine has worked absolutely great with heavy loads.

huntbux- Be sure to read KHunter's post. He said it very well. I'm kind of sticking my neck out here saying anything positive about Eberlestock. To be fair though I've never used a MR. I'm sure that they are also a great pack. I'd like to try one but have never gotten the chance to.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:44 PM

Regardless of what the other brand is, I can say that the customer service for MR is top notch. Stop by if you are rolling through the pass east of Bozeman and they will make sure your adjustments on your pack are correct, and they even shortened and sewn back some long straps for me.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:06 PM

Well living in Nevada I am not sure the next time I will be near Bozeman, been there once though. Hope maybe I can find one used on a site maybe next month. We shall see. Like I was saying want to keep the price down but it looks as if I will have to go with an MR pack but it will just be cost that is the question. Been using Google to search the net for a used NICE Longbow with a Medium waist belt and a small yoke. I wear a 34 inch waist belt so I was going with the larger size, but do you guys think that they are a little generous on the size and I should go with a small and a small? Was also wondering what upgrades people think are necessary. Again plan on carrying my tent, Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 2, sleeping bag, Kelty Cosmic Down +0, and sleeping pad Big agnes clear view air pad 20x72, along with all my hunting gear etc. Now I am thinking about waiting a little for the new pack to come out and maybe catch someone selling a longbow, or maybe go with the new pack.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:58 PM

I have a J107 with no problems to speak of it does get a bit uncomfortable above 70 lbs but the pack is very well built. That said I am debating on selling it and trying a Tenzing tz5000 this fall.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:28 PM

Talking

Quote:
You can buy or make your own extra straps to lash a bow or rifle to the MR. My CrewCab has both side belt pouches and they work fine.
You don't need anything extra on the longbow. I just undo the two side straps, tuck the scope between the pack and the frame, and strap it done. works great! I just bought the longbow towards the end of last years season and have had and elk and a bear in it so far. It is heads and tails above my last badlands...I've never owned an eberlestock, and now I never will.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:45 AM
Banned

Neither. http://kifaru.net/KU5200.html
Old 05-22-2012, 05:50 AM

Huntbux, just drink the MR kool aid... you will be glad you did. I would call or email MR with your dimensions (height, chest size, etc.) and see what they recommend. I'm 5' 8" and have a 34 waste also and by their sizing charts I should have probably got smalls, but I emailed Seacat he said go with a medium waist belt and yoke. It fits great.

As for Eberlestock vs MR. Eberlestock makes a nice pack, but if they don't really compare to the build quality of a MR.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:07 AM

I have an Eberle J34 that has worked just fine, but like Miller said with heavier loads it leaves much to be desired.

I am looking to upgrade but its not likely to be a MR.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:21 AM

Mystery Ranch and Kifaru packs are both top notch and in a completely different class than Eberle. Both have excellent customer service.

Buy the best you can afford. If it's MR or Kifaru, you'll be happy. If the best you can afford is Eberle or a Walmart special, do the best you can with it and hunt.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:58 AM

I will take all into consideration. If i go with the MR I will likely wait till I can get one used from someone looking to upgrade or part with theirs.

Has anyone used a KUIU backpack?
Old 05-22-2012, 12:04 PM

Here are my thoughts, take it for what its worth. I tried on the Crew Cab and LOVED the quality. Problem is that even with the right yoke/waist belt there is no way for me to achieve shoulder lift to transfer the weight to my hips at my height. The NICE Frame is built for guys who aren't my height so the load is a little less comfortable. The less comfortable of a NICE frame is still going to be worlds above most others though. If you go with say the 6500 bag you will be able to change the lift, but with the CC it's pretty tough.

Compared to my buddies Eberle, well the MR would win out every time IMO. The Eberle is heavy, has lots of cool features, but just plain won't carry as well. He has never broken it, and quality isn't an issue, but when the load is in the 100lb range, comfort is worth the price.

But, I went with an EMR frame from Kifaru because it has the 26 inch stays that provide lift for me at 6'4". The other advantage the Kifaru had for me personally was that the back isn't covered completely in padding. For a guy who sweats a LOT this provides a more comfortable ride. Kifaru's frames are also curved to match the anatomy of the back, which for me personally provided a more comfortable ride.

With the EMR I also had the option of the cargo panel with whatever pockets I wanted. The cargo panel functions very similarly to the MR CC but places the load on your back closer and up, rather than out. The EMR frame also allows for 8 different bag options between the EMR bag, Longhunter, and Duplex Timberline series.

However, I wasn't impressed with the Kifaru offerings for Top Lids so a MR Daypack Lid rides on top and I love it. A Duplex Timberline 3 is going to get ordered soon, and we will find out how the lid fits on that as well. I am still trying to decide what to get my wife from MR as she likes the color options that I can get there and not at Kifaru.

If you are set on MR you won't be disappointed in the quality, and you will have a GREAT pack from a great company.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntbux View Post
Well living in Nevada I am not sure the next time I will be near Bozeman, been there once though. Hope maybe I can find one used on a site maybe next month. We shall see. Like I was saying want to keep the price down but it looks as if I will have to go with an MR pack but it will just be cost that is the question. Been using Google to search the net for a used NICE Longbow with a Medium waist belt and a small yoke. I wear a 34 inch waist belt so I was going with the larger size, but do you guys think that they are a little generous on the size and I should go with a small and a small?
I have a 34 inch waist and definitely got the correct waste belt in small. It was the only way to keep 80 pounds propped up on my hips versus the dreaded waist belt slip you get on a poorly fit belt that puts the weight on your shoulders as you walk. Only difference between a small and medium waist belt is the pad size. Belt is identical.