DIY Caribou?

huntfishcamp

hello all, my buddy and I are looking to do a 2013 DIY caribou, likely AK. We want to do it on our own to keep costs as low as possible, and we want to do all the 'hunting'. We elk hunted the last 2 years, and we dream of flying into remote AK for a hunt and want to kick it up a notch. Found a lot a good info on the net regarding the differnt herds in AK, curious if anyone has done this before, any tips, places to look at, appreciate all responses, gear you brought or just rented, air taxis you've used, things you wished you had done differently, ect. PM's welcome as well, thank you!

I did a hunt in 2010. Had a blast, did not get a big bou, cought some fish. If you would like to know I sent a PM
Jay

Went with papa bear adventures out of bethel in 2004. We tagged out on two bulls the first day.

Last edited:
hello all, my buddy and I are looking to do a 2013 DIY caribou, likely AK. We want to do it on our own to keep costs as low as possible, and we want to do all the 'hunting'. We elk hunted the last 2 years, and we dream of flying into remote AK for a hunt and want to kick it up a notch. Found a lot a good info on the net regarding the differnt herds in AK, curious if anyone has done this before, any tips, places to look at, appreciate all responses, gear you brought or just rented, air taxis you've used, things you wished you had done differently, ect. PM's welcome as well, thank you!

If there's a particular part of the state you're interested in hunting, let me know and perhaps I can help narrow down some options. Western Arctic herd? Central AK herd? Porcupine herd? 40 Mile herd? Brooks Range? AK Range? Adak Island? Lots of options to consider. Aside from getting to Alaska in the first place, air taxi fees are going to be your largest expense (if you go that route). The Haul Road (archery) is not the only road-based caribou hunt in AK, just depends on what type of experience you're looking for.

Cheers,

Jeff

Some friends of mine drive up to quebec and hunt caribou without guides every year. I would imagine by driving you could do the trip for less $ than Alaska. They use mirage lodge, go in November, and have had no issues with finding males with horns. I think they spend about $3,000 each including tags, lodging, fuel, etc. Also some fall options available.

Biggest expense on Caribou as stated is the Transportation costs of flying.

One of the funnest hunts I have ever done is my Quebec Caribou hunt with my father.

Attachments

• caribou 2 001.jpg
    caribou 2 001.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 7,506
We hunted the Western Arctic Caribou Herd out of Kotzebue using Northern Air Trophy as the transporter. I did a lot of research before I booked with them. All of the people I talked to that used other transporters said the service was great but if they went again they would use NAT because their hunters seemed to have better quality animals. We rented our camp gear from them and bought our food from them. We had a spectacular hunt and had the biggest racks at the Kotzebue airport when we were leaving. The cost was about $6,500 each including airfare from Ontario, CA, overnight lodging in Anchorage and Kotzebue, and all transportation costs. Taxidermy was in addition. We could have shaved a little off the cost, but we ate well in town and stayed at a nice hotel in Anchorage. I would be happy to provide the details if you want.

My son and I did a DIY hunt out of Tok, using 40-Mile Air, in september of 2010. We drove from Kansas, and pulled a trailer with 2 freezers to haul meat back in. Gas, tags, flights round trip, and meat haul flights, ran us abought $8200 for the both of us. We had a great time, saw some beautiful country, and harvested 2 nice caribou. Can't say enough good about Leif, Randy, and the others at 40-Mile. They are a hard working group, that provided superior service.

RSCN0568.jpgRSCN0567.jpg

Wow all good info, knute78 nice bull,s thanks for the pics, I didnt even know Quebec had DIY hunts, thought Canada was guide only, will definately check into that, s< there road accesible Caribou? less cost + more hunts, but roads bring crowds I know....all great infomation, Kaitm will keep your offer for info in mind as I hone in on a plan, thank you

We hunted the Western Arctic Caribou Herd out of Kotzebue using Northern Air Trophy as the transporter. I did a lot of research before I booked with them. All of the people I talked to that used other transporters said the service was great but if they went again they would use NAT because their hunters seemed to have better quality animals. We rented our camp gear from them and bought our food from them. We had a spectacular hunt and had the biggest racks at the Kotzebue airport when we were leaving. The cost was about $6,500 each including airfare from Ontario, CA, overnight lodging in Anchorage and Kotzebue, and all transportation costs. Taxidermy was in addition. We could have shaved a little off the cost, but we ate well in town and stayed at a nice hotel in Anchorage. I would be happy to provide the details if you want.

The Western Arctic Herd has certainly received lots of attention from hunters the past 4-6 years as it currently represents the largest herd in Alaska (about 350,000 animals). Given its location accessing that area also puts this hunt at one of the most expensive in AK in terms of caribou hunts.

Regarding air charters for the WAC herd, check out this thread:
http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/109546-2012-Poll-Kotezebue-Air-Charters

Hunted out of Kotzebue in 2010 with 2 of my brothers DIY. Had a great time but didn't see a lot of caribou. The weather was warm and the migration was slow. We used We Guide Alaska as our transporters. I'd do it again in a heart beat. Also heard good things from successful hunters at the Kotzebue Airport about Northern Air Trophy another transporter there in Kotzebue. Best of luck with your adventure!

In 2005 I hunted caribou with my dad and 3 friends. We did the trip unguided using Renfro's Alaskan Adventures out of Bethel as our transporter. It was a great experience. I saw probably 1000 caribou in 7 days of hunting along with 5 bears. We caught grayling, too. It was a great trip. One friend had been to AK numerous times and had a DIY moose hunt lined up immediately after the caribou hunt and chose not to shoot a caribou during the trip. The other four of us all took bulls. I do believe that the Mulchatna Herd has endured some downward population trends since then, though, which has resulted in reduced opportunity.

We brought all of our own equipment and food, so we only had to pay the air taxi fee. One word of advice: If you decide to bring your own stuff, make sure you have a tent up to the task. The AK tundra can get some really tough winds that will shred a cheap nylon tent to pieces. We split the cost of a nice tent between the 5 of us.

Last edited:
Hello,

I just read your post and have started doing research for our 2014 caribou hunt. Can you provide any details?
Thanks
Sam

Go back and check out my brooks range post a while back. If you wanna keep cost mangageable hit the haul road for a fly out with 70 North. Mike has been doing flyouts for a while now many many years actually very safe and he will put you on them. Last year he ran around 1700 bucks each person. We saw tons of big bou. 2 bou included in cost. The herds that are the easiest to access money wise are the 40 mile or herds off the haul rd. area. Can't go wrong with Mike though he is usually reached best by email he is probally already up north for the fall I am guessing.

I'm going with 40 mile air in 3 weeks for my first trip to Ak.The total cost of my trip from door to door is about $4800.We did book and extra flight for hauling in gear at $800 so you could go cheaper.I can't wait to get there,and can't believe its less then 3 weeks away
I hooked up with another hunttalker for this trip

Last minute help !

Hi guys ; I have a situation ! I was to hunt Moose with a friend in Alaska from the 15th of sept, to 30th . And now he can't make the hunt. So I am going to be in anchorage for 16 days with nothing to do ! I am looking for some info on finding someone that will fly me out to hunt caribou. I am by my self, and every outfit I see has a diy hunt based on 2 or 4 people minimum. I was hoping to find a fly service with knowledge of where the caribou are and is willing to take just one person. I don't have a problem paying for the transport and pick up. I am unsure on what to do as far as equiptment. Bring my own(send via mail) or rent stuff there? Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated .TRA PAH

Caribou are plentiful, instead of trying to go alone, which most pilots will not do, look into joining a smaller party. Give Leif a call at 40 mile air in Tok. They may know of a smaller group that could handle another hunter, or any other transporter. Maybe Rusts right in Anchorage, lots of options and you still have a little time to sort it out, good luck. If you get stranded, I'll be in town to work on my cabin and I could always use some free help! If nothing else, there is always fishing in Ship creek!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back