Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Boneless weight vs. live weight

npaden

Okay, I usually butcher everything on my own, but I got busy and lazy this year and dropped off my elk and mule deer at the butcher instead.

I dropped it off boneless and they charge by the pound so they weighed it out with a digital scale. I was surprised by the results.

My 5x5 bull elk that I would guess at 3 1/2 years old yielded 162.4 pounds of boneless meat. Here's a picture of him.

nathan_elk2.jpg

Based on the charts that the Wyoming fish and game puts out that would correlate to a 550 pound live weight on the elk. Seems a little light to me but probably in the ball park. He wasn't an exceptionally large bodied elk, seemed about average to me. This was after the rut and he was for sure a little lighter than he would have been a month or so earlier. Per the Wyoming study that would put him in line with a 2 1/2 year old bull elk, I'll check his teeth and see if that matches up or if he was 3 1/2 and just run down a bit from the rut.

Here's a link to the Wyoming study for elk - http://www.wyomingextension.org/agpubs/pubs/B594R.pdf

The breakdown was basically 40lbs each for the boneless hindquarters, 40lbs for both boneless front shoulders and 40lbs for backstraps, tenderloins and neck meat. I felt like I do a pretty good job of getting the useable meat off a carcass but don't bring a whole lot extra either.

My mule deer seemed like a solid mature deer to me, no real idea on age (I haven't looked at his jawbone yet) but I would say 4 1/2 or older. Here's a picture of him.

2011_NM_Muley2.jpg

I dropped his boneless meat off at the butcher today and it was 81.6 pounds. Last night I trimmed at least 5 pounds of fat off him and probably about 5 pounds of meat that was shot up a bit. Rounding it up to 90 pounds that would put him at 305 pounds live weight per a Wyoming study for mule deer.

Here's a link to the Wyoming study for mule deer - http://www.wyomingextension.org/agpubs/pubs/B589R.pdf

Weighing the quarters ended up almost identical to the elk except half the weight. (20lb boned hindquarters, etc.).

This would put him right at 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 based on the Wyoming study and based on his body size.

Thought it was interesting to get exact boned out weights and get a feel for what I've been carrying out on my back.

My friend weighed the big bodied Wyoming bull he shot back during the rut in September and each boned out hindquarter was 66lbs, both shoulders were 66lbs and the neck, backstraps and tenderloins were 66lbs as well for a total of 264lbs. His neck roasts were 14lbs each! Using the chart that would put that bull at 895lbs on the hoof! He was noticeably a big bodied bull that's for sure.

Here's a picture of me with his elk.

mike_elk_nathan.jpg

Just thought it was pretty interesting to see how things lined up. A 300lb mule deer seems pretty big and a 895lb Rocky Mountain elk sounds pretty big too.

I guess my New Mexico 550lb elk was a dwarf!

Last year on Monster Muleys this kind of thread ended up going crazy with some guy claiming his bull had 165lb hindquarters or something like that.

Anyone else weigh in their animals?

Just curious. Nathan

Last edited:
I also butcher and process all of my own meat. However, I have never done the boneless method. I always just gutted it out then drug it out with the horse and then taken it home, hang it in the garage, and skin it. Then the processing starts.... This year my bull weighed 460 pounds after I gutted it... By the calculator above I should have had roughly 190 pounds of meat...... I have already processed it and have around 225 pounds. (so that calculator is actually relatively accurate!)

I've never seen a shoulder weigh as much as a hind...not sure how thats even possible based on simple observation of elk anatomy. I packed an elk out one time before, cant recall the shoulder weighing anything even close to the hind.

I'm also guessing most butchers that charge by the pound arent afraid to stand on the scale...just sayin'.

Last edited:
I've never seen a shoulder weigh as much as a hind...not sure how thats even possible.

I'm also guessing most butchers that charge by the pound arent afraid to stand on the scale...just sayin'.

That is both boneless front shoulders together that equals one hind quarter.

Sounds better...

While I dont weigh elk quarters, I've a friend who may chime in on this one. He's weighed a bunch and if IIRC, he said most elk hinds he weighed were between 50-65 with the bone in.

I packed 2 bone in hinds off this bull for a mile...I doubt I can physically pack much over 130 pounds...and I dont ever plan on doing it again. Just stupid and a good way to end up hurting yourself.

IMG_3195.JPG

I know one thing regardless of the weight... I just got some elk steaks out of the freezer for tonight. You can't ignore the rumbling in your stomach when a topic about elk meat starts....especially when you shoot a 2 1/2 year old bull :)

IMG_0434.jpg

Sure wish I weighed the hinds from my bull this year. Everything seemed to be a struggle with this bull. Just moving him around to take him apart. Putting the hinds on a pack frame and then just getting up off the ground! Was no 1000 pounder though I am sure of that.

We have boned out quiet a few elk over the years and beings we are in the back country we have weighed a lot of them with a spring packing scale. From memory I would say that the cows over the years went give or take 80 lbs per side on a pack horse.

The bulls really vary depending on age, condition and time of year. Spikes actually went a little less than the cows sometimes and I've seen bulls that went 140# per side on a mule.

No my scale hasn't been certified but it has proven to make two loads the same size to ride even on a pack saddle.

That deer weight that you showed has me scratching my head.

That deer weight that you showed has me scratching my head.

These deer live on alfalfa fields year round and are the fatest wild game I've ever seen in my life.

Here's a picture of the fat on the hind quarter of one I butchered in 2009. They are very big bodied deer in that area.

mule_deer_fat.jpg

These deer live on alfalfa fields year round and are the fatest wild game I've ever seen in my life.

Here's a picture of the fat on the hind quarter of one I butchered in 2009. They are very big bodied deer in that area.

mule_deer_fat.jpg

You want to see "FAT DEER". Shoot a corn fed Iowa deer.

good luck to all
the dog

My buddy weighed his this year.

His bull grossed 315". Skull with lower jawbone but tongue and all loose meat cut off weighed 32lbs. We were pretty generous on the cape in case he decided on a pedestal mount and basically cut it right about the middle of the body. It weighed 45lbs.

Let's see a 1000 plus pounder!!!?? Someone here has one or two.

Maybe TBKodiak will chime in... That cow he blasted this year was probably close to that.

140lbs for a elk quarter or half? A BIG Alaskan bull moose hind is maybe120lbs with bone in.

Back