How times have changed... 50th and 15th!!!

BrowningBLR

Last Sunday my dad (64 years old) and I went hunting... we have the luxury of access to private land. A few weeks before hunting season my dad was telling me that he wasn't really looking for huge bull but was more excited about getting just getting one.... it would be his 50th bull. That is the most excited I have seen him about hunting in awhile....
Long story short, a smaller bull (who have I had seen all summer) came within 150 yards of us. My dad (as he has always done) told me that I could take the first shot... I told him to take it since he had let me take so many shots before him the past. He declined. We sat there arguing for a couple minutes telling the other one to take the shot until I finally just set my rifle down, crossed my arms, and smiled at him. Only then did he decide that it was ok for him to take a shot before his son. He made the perfect shot (as he always does) and before we knew it, he has his 50th bull down!!!!! Not a monster by any stretch and nowhere near the size of the trophies at our cabin but HIS 50TH BULL ELK!? Are you kidding me??

How times have changed...

I was the one who stalked the elk and found out their routine this entire summer/fall while my dad did other things.
I was the one who loaded the truck and even packed the lunch while my dad slept in.
I was the one who led the way hiking in while my dad followed.
I was the one who chose a certain ridge to sit on while my dad reluctantly agreed.
I was the one who let my dad take the shot even though he kept insisting that I shoot.
I was the one who took the pictures as my dad posed.
I was the one who gutted the elk out while my dad went back to get the four wheeler.
I was the one who drug the elk into the back of the pickup while my dad sat in the truck.
I was the one who hung and weighed the elk in the garage while my dad talked to my mom as they watched.
I was the one who skinned the elk while my dad and mom cooked dinner.

Completely, 100%, opposite of how things went for years. It was probably the most enjoyable hunt I have ever been on, watching my dad harvest his 50th bull! Pretty amazing! Now I know how my dad felt all those years watching me kill my elk first.... it's pretty awesome!! Seeing the pure joy of a loved one was awesome- I am really glad that I was there with him during his 50th bull hunt.

Then the Elk Gods must have been looking down on me because on Thursday I found this 6 point and shot him at 330 yards on the run. He was not as easy to get out because it was late in the afternoon, I was by myself, and needed to get the horses to pack him out. It was my 15th bull in as many years hunting... still a while until I hit 50!! I still can't even fully comprehend it.... 50 bulls? Wow...

2011 elk hunting has been good to us so far!!! Hopefully we can get my brother his bull when he comes home for Thanksgiving!

Attachments

• elk.jpg
    elk.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 1,532
Last edited:
That's awesome!! Congrats to him!! I would love to partake in that role reversal, but my dad doesn't hunt...so I have to hope for it with my boys in the future.

50 bulls

What a great story. 50 bulls is unreal. Has he ever shot a cow?

That is a great story and good insight.
I wish I'd kept track. I also wish my father hunted more with me.

Congrats to your dad on his 50th, that is awesome and to you for a great looking bull. Good luck getting your brother his bull, that would make a great end to an already great season!!!

Congratulations to you and your dad! I know exactly how you feel. The roles have gone 180 degrees for my dad and I as well. It feels great pay back the debt I owe him for all those years of hunting.

Congrats to the both of you! Isn't it funny how the role reversals change as a father and son get older? The same has happened with me and my dad and I wouldn't have it any other way! He's my favorite hunting partner still to this day!

It is fun when you get to return the favor for your hunting mentors. What is really cool is watching them take YOUR kids hunting and see what a thrill they get out of it.

My congrats to you for being a part of a milestone with your dad.

50 bulls thats amazing!! 15 bulls is also pretty awesome! Congrats on a great hunting season so far. Creating memories is what we all hunt for and it sound like you both have plenty of them! Now go get one for your brother!

Good read Dan, I need to come by and see yours, he looks bigger in than on the little pic on my phone...Lunch this week ? Maybe ?

That is oh so cool, what a gift to be able to share with your Dad.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back