Go Back   Hunt Talk Forums > BIG GAME HUNTING > Elk

Reply Forum sponsored by: www.rmef.org

Old 06-25-2011, 03:33 PM

Red face Need help finding Elk in the Owyhee in Idaho

OK I was Lucky to draw a Elk tag in the Owyhee.I am not asking for any of your hunting spot out their I just need a starting point and not like what the Fish & Game said look in the the Trees.I do all my bird hunting out there and have kicked up some big bucks but never an elk.I have ask other hunting forms and got some help .But just looking for all the help I can get.Thanks
Old 06-26-2011, 09:52 AM

If it's 40 then South Mountain, of course also can depend it's a Sept hunt or Oct-Nov hunt but you've probably already know this?

ElkNut1
Old 06-26-2011, 11:27 AM

Sorry should have put that in the first post. It is in unit 40 and a Oct hunt .In my bird hunting out there I have came across miles of Quaking Aspen trees .In between Silver city and Reynolds Creek.I wish I could say I did know that.Thank you for that ElkNut1.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:13 PM

So if it's in october I'm assuming you have the cow tag. south mountain is a september early october elk area with it not opening until after the deer hunt I suggest looking further south I happen to have a deer tag out in 42 I will be scouting all summer if I see some good elk numbers maybe I can let you know and if you happen to be scouting much in 42 for elk and see any big bucks you can give me a shout. that could be a win win for both of us.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:25 PM

Default Need help finding Elk in the Owyhee in Idaho

Hey elkmagnet
I have a bull tag it goes Oct 15 to Nov 24.I will keep a look out for them.
I wish you had a unit 40 for deer I could point out some good draws for you to hunt.
Thanks
Old 07-15-2011, 08:18 AM

Wow a bull tag your a lucky man. I would spend more time south of mud flat than north of it if you know what I mean. Have you spent a lot of time in that area? I know 40 I grew up in 40 I have just grown tired of the long draw odds so I thought I would try somewhere different I have some good infoon elk herds feel free to pm me.