Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

New rifle for the season

Ben Lamb

It's either an 88 Commission rifle or a Mannlicher in 8x57J (.318 dia bullet).I still need to get a .318 neck sizing die, and have it bore slugged and chamber cast. It came with a set of 8x57JS dies, about 250 196 grn bullets and about 70 pieces of brass. I can remember going to gun shows as a kid and seeing these, custom mausers and old german pistols all over the place. Dad bought this one for $245 in 1971 or 1972. He sent it home with me this weekend so I thought I better get her up and running. Also came with a Gerard G scope. Need to find the claw mounts and get the scope redone, and develop a load for it, but hopefully it can all come together before the season gets here.

manlicher2.jpg

manlicher1.jpg

manlicher3.jpg

Nice old piece Ben. If you don't already; it might pay you to join the Mauser Forum. There are a goodly number of Mauser experts and enthusiasts, great access to parts, very polite and helpful members, nearly no belligerents; a real font of knowledge.

It's located under the name of Mauser Central. You can snoop around and see if you like it. Their individual forums aren't as active as OYOA, but it's a site which is more factual than experiential, though they do like to BS also.

Last edited:
Looking fwd to seeing it ready to go Ben...the Mannlichers are sure easy on the eyes. Like the butterknife bolt handle.

That's just cool. Hope you can get it sorted out to your satisfaction, it would be a blast to carry that around this fall.

Ben, I've been digging around and it looks like you have a commercial variant of the '88 Commission alright, but haven't found any with the Mannlicher stock. Some of these were converted to the "S" bore and if yours was, it should have an S stamp on the receiver. The fact that it came with dies and components for the S is promising, but I don't need to tell you that it will definitely pay to confirm as much. At any rate; I'm green as a gourd with envy; a really nice addition.

Thanks guys. It's a special rifle to me. One of those things that you grew up with and always wondered about its history.

As for the S bore, there are no markings on the top of the receiver, but the recoil lug underneath does have an S stamped on it. As I understand, the S stamp indicates that it's only had the chamber cut to take the thicker neck of the 8x57JS case.Have you seen something different, Tarheel?

At any rate, it goes in to the smith this week or next for the basics. I took it out of the stock last night and it's in perfect shape under the wood. No rust, no muss.

Thanks guys. It's a special rifle to me. One of those things that you grew up with and always wondered about its history.

As for the S bore, there are no markings on the top of the receiver, but the recoil lug underneath does have an S stamped on it. As I understand, the S stamp indicates that it's only had the chamber cut to take the thicker neck of the 8x57JS case.Have you seen something different, Tarheel?

At any rate, it goes in to the smith this week or next for the basics. I took it out of the stock last night and it's in perfect shape under the wood. No rust, no muss.

No, don't know the specifics of the conversion, but I'll pose that question to the experts and get back to you.

It does have express sights. I'm curious if the rear claw mount holes would line up w/ a peep? Will have to check that out this evening.

Kiwi,

would love to see that Brno!

Figured out I can use the JS sizing die to size the brass to the proper dia by just removing the decapping pin and expander ball. I've got 10 rounds of 196 grn round noses to send through the rifle and see how it groups. Just hope that I can get it where I want without blowing it up!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back