2-person Ultralight Tent Opinions

Bivy

your suggestions please?...what do you use? How do you like it? How does it handle a fall snow shower? Condensation problems?

Kifaru four person tipi w/ stove is the bomb!! Get the condensation liner and you will have the perfect backcountry shelter. Just my two cents.

I've yet to find a true UL "2 man" tent. Most are barely big enough for one person. Maybe one average sized man and a woman, but there won't be any room for gear.

I bought a Big Agnes Copper Spur 3 and it works perfect for extended hunts for two people with room to spare. My second choice would be the Fly Creek 3... they didn't make it last year or I would have one instead I think... the double doors on the Copper Spur is pretty handy though. both are in the 4lb range for an over sized 2 man tent.

I've never really worried about snow crushing a tent, then again I've never camped anywhere that it could/would snow so fast you couldn't keep up with taking care of my camp.

If bugs aren't an issue... look at a tipi shelter. The weight to room ratio is crazy.

I've got a Big Agnes Seedhouse that I like, although I have not used it in any snow. If I was going with multiple people I would definitely look into one with double doors.

Ditto Buschy...
Skip the netting and go with a liner!

http://www.kifaru.net/tipis.html

Quick Facts
Dimensions: 10.5 X 13 feet assembled
Packed Dimensions: 6.5 X 22 inches
Height: 6 feet, 6 inches
Mosquito Netting: optional (add 10 oz.)
Weight: 5 lbs., 5 oz.
includes pole, pegs, Seam Sealer and bag

ditto on Kifaru,the Sawtooth is worth looking at as well.I've got a 6 man and its comfortable with 3 -4 people
Tim

What is "Ultra light" in your mind? The three or four man Hilleberg is about as good as it gets. Lots of room, light weight for a tent that size, and very durable. I use the Hilleberg Nallo tents and am very pleased with them.

The selling point for the Kifaru is the portable packable heater that is super light and will increase temp inside the tent about 40 to 50 degrees. Awesome when you want to dry something out. In addition the 4 man is about 6'6" at the center in reality it gives a 6'0" guy enough room to stand as long as you are at the center of the tent. I can also get a two small chairs inside so that I am sitting on something and not the ground.

Looking for a ultra light 4lbs or less 2man - will be going into the wilderness area of CO for archery and maybe first season gun, if lucky, would like floor - $300-to $400 - Big Fin - $700 is a bit out of my range for a tent. Any thing exist? Thanks Ron

I used a Golite Shangri-la 5 last year, very happily with 2-3 people. Under 3 lbs and $300 if you shop around. Not Kifaru quality, but it does well and the price and weight are both more to my liking.

A friend is running this site now, and would happily price match.
Shangri-la 5

The ultralight traditional double wall shelters don't really speak to me, personally. All the options are compromises, but their particular blend of virtues come up short of what I'm looking for. Right now, my shelter options line up is:
Minimalist bivy
Bivy shelter
Tipi shelter
4 season double wall (Hilleberg or Big Agnes)

The hardest part of finding an ultralight tent is finding one that is light AND soundproof!

Screams spook animals. Duh.

Black Diamond makes a couple for a little over 2.5 lbs... FirstLight, HiLight.
Big Angnes has a couple a little bigger for a little ranging from 2.5 to 3.5....

Just check with mountaingear.com.... they have both and a few others.

I have a couple of the Black Diamonds that I use and have had them in wind, rain and snow with no problems...just have to anchor them well.

Now the hard part is finding a good tent that isn't in some loud obnoxious color. I do like the the Big Agnes Emerald mountain series of tents. The weight isn't too bad and thy have dual doors and vestibules. I prefer each person having their own door.

I sorta like a bit louder/lighter color on a tent. Not as dark during the day and easier to find! ;)

Black Diamond is light but single walled. For a double walled tent in your price range and still about as lightweight as you can go, I'd say go for the Big Agnes. Bambistew has the 3 man version of a great tent, which gives lots of extra space over the 2 man version for only 2/3 of a pound more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back