Yeti GOBOX Collection

Nikster's caribou recap.

the nikster

I answered an add posted on another site looking for a hunt partner for an Alaskan adventure. His name is Micheal and we set out putting our hunt together. 6 monthes later and many, many e-mailed lists and counter-lists I arrived in Anchorage the evening of the 28th. Since my hunt started the 1st of Sept I had a couple of days to kill in Anc so I did...

On the last day of August we drove our rental van to TOK where we staed at Youngs hotel and ate dinner at WORLD FAMOUS Fast Eddys! Early the next morning, after a short rain delay we were placed in a 206 and dropped on an airstrip named (begins with P). The second photo is of me there.

Attachments

• alaska2011caribou 1ht.jpg
    alaska2011caribou 1ht.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 431
  • alaska2011caribou 2ht.jpg
    alaska2011caribou 2ht.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 432
Day 1 first day in camp. We unloaded our camp and set about putting it up an a great place outta the wind but within site of several drainages. Immediately we had caribou running through camp. I took 1 photo of a big bull with LOOOOONG backscratchers.
That night I slept with visions of sugarplums....
Next morning we set out to find water. We found a seep about 400 yards to our north and setup my filter and filtered about 10 gallons of water-while we watched a herd of 70+ caribou feed about 400 yards to our east. We saw the same weird bull again but both passed him up. I was looking for nice tops, good bez, double shovel and white mane-alot I know, stay tuned...

Attachments

• alaska2011caribou 3ht.jpg
    alaska2011caribou 3ht.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 442
  • alaska2011caribou 5ht.jpg
    alaska2011caribou 5ht.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 435
Thought you might appreciate a look out our front door....

Later, about 2pm, I saw a good looking bull following some others about a mile away. Spotter confirmed he was good so I moved down the ridge to where the others were crossing. I was posted about 150 from the crossing and waited nearly 2 hrs for his arrival. He hung up behind a bush at a little under 200-He winded me. No shot for over 20 minutes while a herd of cows slowly approached me from my left. I was beginning to panic that they might ruin the stalk. Finally he bolted into the open but didn't stop til he was way over 300 yards away. I found a solid rest. I had re-sited my rifle during the break in Anchorage. No wind and I controlled my breathing really well considering I had waited 3 hunts and 8 years for this moment. I slowly exhaled and squeezed off a shot that missed.........3 times! He spun around a couple of times and settled again. I ranged him at 400 yards with my super-calibrated eye and smoked my last bullet right through center mass(guts). The shot was actually high and broke his back as well. He was way dead by the time I covered the 386 steps to him.

Attachments

• alaska2011caribou 6ht.jpg
    alaska2011caribou 6ht.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 441
  • alaska2011caribou 4ht.jpg
    alaska2011caribou 4ht.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 430
A few more pics of us.

Attachments

• alaska2011caribou 7ht.jpg
    alaska2011caribou 7ht.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 435
  • alaska2011caribou 9ht.jpg
    alaska2011caribou 9ht.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 435
  • alaska2011caribou 8ht.jpg
    alaska2011caribou 8ht.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 434
Mike and I both carried 1 front and 1 rear to camp the first night. Mike had caught a bug so he stayed in camp the next day while I took 2 more trips to get the ribs, neck, cape and antlers.
Day 3 mike got his bull but that's his story to tell.
Day 4 we called for an early out but rain kept us in camp all day.
Day 5 we loaded up and left for the yukon country where we changed planes and flew back to 40-mile-air.
Apparently we had caused quite a ruckus with a 5 legged caribou where the law is concerned(alot more details if required).
As I was leaving the country I met Ernesto on his way out to help pack a moose. He's a fun and humorous fella-those other guys(MM) don't know Dick!
That's it in a nutshell. My tape and conservative eye gets me about 355 points but I could not have been happier than I am with my 'caribou of a lifetime'!

Attachments

• alaska2011caribou 10ht.jpg
    alaska2011caribou 10ht.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 430
  • alaska2011caribou 12ht.jpg
    alaska2011caribou 12ht.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 431
Awsome story Nick. Congrats. I saw your bull in the cooler. He's looks bigger than 355. Beautiful animal. Double shovel... Congrats. My story will come later.. Ed F

Great story and pics Nickster. Way to take a chance on a new hunting partner too.

Thats a great looking bull! I think they do same day air up here just to mess with people. We seen on of the biggest bulls the first day and never saw him again. Nice work!

Awesom bull and some great field photos. I'm interested to hear the five legged 'bou story. Congratulations!

Thanks for the photos, Nick. That is such a classic looking bull. If I could go up there and kill a bull like that, I'd never have to go (barren-ground) caribou hunting again! ;)

If I could go up there and kill a bull like that, I'd never have to go (barren-ground) caribou hunting again!

No kidding! It's a beautiful bull that has everything. The shovels are incredible. Ed F

Nice one and a double shovel! Another great Alaska trip...now I want to do dang it! Maybe in the next few years I will get up the courage to go.

Very good write up nick, and awesome pictures.
I really like the shot with the bull lying by himself.

Thanks guys, I truely had a great time.
About the 5 legs.... randy picked up my bou just as I arrived in camp with one of the hinds from Mikes caribou. I asked him if he needed anything like a transfer and he said he thought it was ok, just give him the other quarter, so I did.
When he arrived at the staging strip, forest service was there and was able to count all the way to 5 legs. Called in the state police from what Dick at the desk said. Finally after a bunch of explaining the situation was cleared up and randy was able to go along his way.

I paid $210 for 1 cooler of meat, 1 cooler of meat and cape, 1 box of antlers, 2 boxes of hunting/camping supplies and 1 guncase. I left the backstraps and neck meat and rib meat with Dick at 40-mile air. All of my packages weighed 49 lbs. each.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back