Sfw??????

BuzzH

Wow, check out this article from the SLC tribune...seems Don Peay of "sportsmen for Wildlife" is not really all that much about sportsmen after all...we're just "greedy" average joe hunters/anglers.

Amazing that guy hasnt been run out of Utah on a rail...

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_14839041?IADID=Search-www.sltrib.com-www.sltrib.com

Some of the "high" points in the article:

Don Peay, founder of the poorly named Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife (SFW), made a completely unnecessary statement on KUTV last week. Why Peay was asked about the bill in the first place is a mystery because he and SFW claimed to have been neutral on the subject, but he just couldn't resist an opportunity to sound as if he knew what he was talking about.

"This is a classic case of a handful of greedy fly fishermen getting too greedy," Peay told KUTV. "People violated their private property rights."

That is about as much the pot calling the kettle black as you could ever encounter. Peay has provided a perfect definition of the word greed in his repeated attempts to open a deer hunt on Antelope Island State Park. Seeing those bucks with big racks roaming the island has Peay drooling about the possibilities of selling high-priced and exclusive tags to his hunting buddies.

I saw that same article referred to in a post over on a UT site, and the mods took it down, as soon as a few guys started spitting out the SFW Kool-aid.

Wonder how long they are gonna keep smelling the roses?

Bigfin,

Heres another real dandy from Don Peay...calling out the non-SFW backers who he calls "greedy" because they dont want to give landowners another 100+ quality bull tags:

Don Peay said, "the whole problem here on MM and in society, is the TAKERS in life think everyone else is like themselves, selfish, self serving.

It is hard for some to think others actaully give to others.

and, it is hard for some to understand, invest a little now, work hard, get a lot more later. Sucessful businesmen understand the invest now, work hard, return comes later.

The entitlement mentaility that is destroying America is "hey, i am entitled to everything, all the time, for free." Sorry, doesn't work that way in life, in business, or in wildlife. these herds can go as fast as they came.

the number of Limted and once in a lifetime permits in utah has gone from 1,000 to over 5,000. that is a lot MORE, not less. How can anyone argue about that ? OH, i forgot, they don't like the method the money was raised to make MORE for EVERYONE !

Great, throws the average-joe (ie: greedy bastards) under the bus because they dont want to give up MORE utah elk hunting opportunities.

I wonder if Don realizes just how hypocritical he really is?

Yeah, I read that one. Evidently wildlife and special tags to a special interest group, are the currency in which Utah wildlife is bartered.

There was a time when I was pretty open minded about what Utah was implmenting, but over the last ten years, it has become something I hope stays in Utah. And the more anyone even questions what is happening, the greater the level of vengance that is brought upon those asking honest and fair questions. If you are a Utah resident, you are almost in lock down mode as far as questioning what is being done with elk, and the driving force behind those policies, SFW. Or I should say SFW being the group that takes credit for all of what is/has happened with Utah elk, not knowing whether or not they actually are the driving force.

When a group has to spend so much time in self-promotion and denouncing everyone else as greedy, lazy, ignorant, and a lot of other terms I have read in his posts, it doesn't take me long to decide I have no use for that flavor of Kool-aid, nor the folks selling such.

As I have watched the interaction of SFW and the wolf issue, it is almost laughable. Hell, not almost laughable, it is laughable. I am glad they are supporting state control of wolves, as all of us are, and many of us have been for the last fifteen years, prior to many "Johnny Come Lately" groups to the discussion. The purveyors of fear make it sound like wolves are the only issue facing elk in the states of ID, MT, and WY, and in doing so, are whipping up a froth of ignorance based on misinformation and lack of understanding of the process.

Almost to the point that it conjures up an image in my mind of young school children sitting around a fire listening to Little Red Ridinghood, and believing it. And while the chillins are taught about the big bad wolf, the entire elk hunting model that has brought about abundance is being dismantled by things much more destructive than the presence of wolves.

Yes, wolves are having an impact, but we are in the middle of a management authority transfer that has gone pretty much how it was designed from the start, with all parties knowing the process would be tangled up in the courts. The bigger issues affecting elk are far more important (IMHO) than wolves, and when the wolf issue is resolved, we will have lost much ground fighting a battle that already has an eventual outcome.

And when the wolf issue is solved and we still face the bigger threats to public land elk hunting, who will these groups have for a scapegoat then? Hopefully not those greedy, lazy, self-serving hunters.

But, I digress.

Bigfin,

That post is absolutely right on the money...the troubles with elk and elk management are just beginning and the wolf is only one of several very important issues.

If more hunters dont get involved...and fast...it may not go the way things should.

I believe that special interests in management decisions need to be considered...but not to the point of confliciting with proper management, science and biology. Those things should still be the number one priority in regard to all game management, not politcal and social interests. Thats what the hunters in the United States have paid to support since the beginning of game management in North America. We've been asked to trust the biologists and the various Agencies.

Through the political interests of groups like SFW, I believe that a lot of trust between the various wildlife agencies and the average hunter have, and will continue to degrade. A person can only be misled and shat on so many times before they say enough...and I think we're largely there. I've noticed the group of people asking questions of SFW has increased a lot in the last year or two. Don Peay has become much more defensive...quick to call names and quick to blame average guys for "not getting it". I think a lot of people do "get it" and thats bugging Don big-time.

I hope he keeps yapping...its really driving home who really is "self-serving". I'm enjoying watching him and his group self-destruct.

If you are a Utah resident, you are almost in lock down mode as far as questioning what is being done with elk, and the driving force behind those policies, SFW.
You said a mouthful there! I'm in a position to work with the UT DWR a bit ;) and they seem to have bought wholesale into the trophy mentality. Management, espeically for elk, will be geared towards trophy class animals with the main tool being limited hunter opportunity for bulls. The RACs just approved a plan to limit LE tags even more in an "effort" to increase the elk herd by 10K animals statewide. From what I've been able gather, the auction tags will be reduced as well, but I'll have to see it to believe. Likewise, I've not heard whether or not CWMU tags will be reduced...

His response to the waterway access law is quite a predictable response. He's gotta throw support behind the big landowners that are his biggest supporters. Besides, whom else is gonna support/join his and Karl Malone's new sheep org... ;)

Are you sure the UT DWR has bought into the plan...or do they just value their jobs?

Seems to me you either agree with SFW and Don...or its a road map and your last pay check...biology and science be damned. Another classic case of why you need to hear what special interests groups have to say...but dont allow them to corrupt your wildlife and your agency. SFW has gone beyond doing good and is now in the "full corruption" mode of their long-term plans for Utahs Wildlife.

You heard about the whole Alaska deal regarding SFW didnt you?

I thought AK residents were smarter than that...I over-estimated them.

Last edited:
News release from the WY SFW website:

Sportsmen for Fish & Wildlife hires legal counsel

Sportsmen For Fish and Wildlife (SFW) has taken a significant step forward in our efforts to establish a major presence in wildlife conservation and hunting & fishing preservation in the Western part of North America by hiring Ryan Benson as our new senior business development and legal consultant. The opportunity to hire Ryan resulted from a tremendous six figure donation by a Founding SFW Board Member who desires to support SFW's continued growth. This is yet another example of SFW members stepping up when needed.

First and foremost, Ryan is an avid and passionate hunter who grew up in humble circumstances and spent his days hunting in the West on general season public land units. Recently, on a day off from his patent law firm duties, Ryan showed up for his job interview with muddy boots - having just come in from a coyote hunt with his young sons.

Mr. Benson graduated with a degree in Political Science from BYU, and then worked for a year as the legislative coordinator for the Utah Attorney General's office. He then worked in Washington DC with the staff of US Senator Robert Bennett's Natural Resource committee. From there, he went to Boston where he earned his Law Degree from Harvard University.

Since graduating from Harvard, Ryan has built a flourishing law practice in Patent Law. He also covers business mergers and acquisitions throughout the western US. His most recent deal was the patent work and closing of the sale of Barnes Bullets to the Freedom Group.

Byron Bateman, President of SFW said, "Ryan's willingness to leave a very successful business practice and give up millions in current and future earnings to work for conservation, speaks volumes about his passion and commitment to protecting the future of hunting for current and future generations." Ryan Foutz, SFW VP of Marketing said, "SFW has been understaffed and has relentlessly focused our resources on restoring habitats, and producing abundant game herds. Benson will bring the ability to polish and perfect the way SFW does business and communicate our conservation mission to decision makers, sponsors, our members and help us better connect with the new internet generation."

Don Peay, Founder of SFW said, "We have searched from Alaska to Arizona to find a person with Ryan's passion for conservation and hunting, who also has the unique skill-set to take SFW to the next level." Peay also said, "There is absolutely no question in my mind that Benson will help complete SFW's western North American Conservation infrastructure and in future years will lead SFW into the international conservation arena. Ryan is a global thinker and due to his Harvard contacts and time as a public servant, has a rolodex full of top business leaders from around the world."

Ryan's first duty will be to lead the SFW effort in developing a legal and political solution if Federal Judges rule the wrong way and end up placing wolves back on the Endangered Species List. The SFW Board has determined that the wildlife herds of the west have suffered enough - even if the courts haven't seemed to figure that out yet. Congress must step in and resolve this predicament by restoring the states' rights to protect our ungulate herds. The multi-billion dollar hunting industry is also suffering tremendous long term damage by un-managed wolf populations in the west and the upper mid-west regions. Benson will also be tasked to help in SFW fundraising, public relations, legislative and legal considerations and organizational structure matters.

Mr. Benson said, "The SFW members, sponsors and staff have laid a tremendous foundation for land and wildlife conservation in Utah, the Western States and Alaska. I am honored to join an outstanding SFW team which is driven by measureable results of thousands of restored habitat acres and substantial increases in animal numbers. Hunting is a passion for me and my young children. It is worth fighting for our way of life and our heritage in the West."

Randy and Coni Brooks, owners of Barnes Bullets, the generous contributors to SFW which has enabled the organization to hire such a quality person said, "Ryan is the perfect fit for SFW. He is polished, passionate about hunting and conservation, and comes across in a very unassuming manner. However, we witnessed first-hand, that when it comes to crunch time - just like SFW, he is willing to step into a hornet's nest and deliver a victory for his team."

SFW is one of the most effective sportsmen groups in the Western United States and focuses on land and wildlife conservation for elk, mule deer, bison, moose, wild sheep, mountain goats, antelope, chukar, wild turkey and fisheries - including efforts to restore abundant Halibut and Salmon fisheries in Alaska. SFW has state-run chapters in Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Nevada, Alaska and most recently, Montana, with sportsmen from Colorado, Nebraska and other states and provinces requesting help in building the wildly successful SFW model in their states soon.

Funny that he closed the sale of Barnes Bullets to Freedom group, then the owners of Barnes donated the money to hire him, and DP says that they searched far and wide for someone to fill the job. :rolleyes:

Nevada and Montana apparently have new SFW chapters. Sounds like they are trying to get started in Colorado, too.

I think they're over-estimating their "success" in other states.

Bigfin and I exchanged some messages regarding the MT chapter...that Toby Bridges is about as welcome in MT as a hemroid. He's trying to push for a muzzleloader season that would take a week off archery season. Apparently he doesnt realize that the MBA and a few other groups have been involved in MT for a more than a couple years.

SFW picked a dud there.

Also, the Wyoming chapter seems to be pretty quiet, havent heard much from them lately.

I think SFW is going to have some serious problems with their long-term plans, many hunters have seen what they're doing and have done to hunting in Utah. Most dont like it.

We'll see, but I think SFW is going to stall...big-time.

Thanks for the info Buzz. I was curious about the MT chapter, but couldn't come up with much. I didn't put together the SFW lead in MT was Mr. ML. He seems to have already struck out in MT.

I did see there is a SFW banquet in Laramie, but no set date.

Don Peay just got done preaching for three hours to a group of 70 hunters/ranchers/outfitters in Missoula, about how he can help us solve our wolf problem, and save our big game herds.

Randy11,

Did you attend the big meeting?

If so, did you know any of the outfitters or landowners?

I inadvertently watched their side show, about a half hour of pictures of wolf kills, then some pictures of Don shaking hands with George Bush and Karl Malone, then at least an hour of Utah kill shots. Their meet up happened to be at my employer.

I recognized quite a few faces in the audience, but only really know a few of them.

Peay and Mark French seem to be pairing up, and really plan on riding this wolf ticket out. Shame, because I know a lot of people will fall for it.

I think they're over-estimating their "success" in other states.

Bigfin and I exchanged some messages regarding the MT chapter...that Toby Bridges is about as welcome in MT as a hemroid. He's trying to push for a muzzleloader season that would take a week off archery season. Apparently he doesnt realize that the MBA and a few other groups have been involved in MT for a more than a couple years.

SFW picked a dud there.

Also, the Wyoming chapter seems to be pretty quiet, havent heard much from them lately.

I think SFW is going to have some serious problems with their long-term plans, many hunters have seen what they're doing and have done to hunting in Utah. Most dont like it.

We'll see, but I think SFW is going to stall...big-time.

I am glad you picked up on Mr. Bridges. He was shouted down very harshly on Bowsite some time ago, then disappeared. I have been telling guys about him, he is trying to ride the wolf wagon toward power for the SFW here in MT. Of course there will be people that join up in droves just from the predator message they spill. I GUARANTEE in the future, when the SFW has some beef here in MT, that he will want them to push for the ML season and take it out of the last two weeks of bow season. He is really thinks its time bowhunters "shared" the rut, he has already up and stated that.

Gosh if you read Monster Muleys the SFW is the ONLY reason wolves got delisted at all.

Peay and Mark French seem to be pairing up, and really plan on riding this wolf ticket out........

Should make for some good entertainment, if nothing else.

Wonder if they will be like most groups just now coming to the fifteen year-long wolf discussion, and claim they represent the majority of hunters? If they make the kind of statements that have been coming out of the SFW propaganda machine, as it relates to wolves and wolf recovery, some fact checking will be in order.

Don Peay, Founder of SFW said, "We have searched from Alaska to Arizona to find a person with Ryan's passion for conservation and hunting, who also has the unique skill-set to take SFW to the next level." Peay also said, "There is absolutely no question in my mind that Benson will help complete SFW's western North American Conservation infrastructure and in future years will lead SFW into the international conservation arena. Ryan is a global thinker and due to his Harvard contacts and time as a public servant, has a rolodex full of top business leaders from around the world."

Ryan's first duty will be to lead the SFW effort in developing a legal and political solution if Federal Judges rule the wrong way and end up placing wolves back on the Endangered Species List. The SFW Board has determined that the wildlife herds of the west have suffered enough - even if the courts haven't seemed to figure that out yet. Congress must step in and resolve this predicament by restoring the states' rights to protect our ungulate herds. The multi-billion dollar hunting industry is also suffering tremendous long term damage by un-managed wolf populations in the west and the upper mid-west regions. Benson will also be tasked to help in SFW fundraising, public relations, legislative and legal considerations and organizational structure matters. .

Interesting that Peay thinks that a Jude is ruling the "wrong way" if he interprets the law in a manner that Peay doesn't like. Judges don't get things "right OR wrong". The make judgments, by definition, if Peay doesn't think the Judge did it correctly, he can appeal based on a legal argument, not on "wildlife herds of the west" having suffered enough.

This is a weird move for the attorney. He has no experience that is valuable to SFW if he is a patent attorney. I would love to see him go up against one of my trial buddies who has a long history winning these lawsuits requiring the Government to protect wildlife. This guy will get his clock-cleaned his first time in court. Patent attorneys don't get a lot of practice litigating.

Unfortunately, I know quite a few of the people drinking the SFW kool-aid, and some of the people posting in the comments there.
It really makes me sick, as they're intelligent people who want to do what's right. Unfortunately they're also gullible, and are taking Peay's word as gospel.

Back