Texas Trip

Moosie

Grand poopa
DEL IS GOING TO CHANGE THE SETTINGS IN THE GALLERY SO THE PICTURES AREN'T SO BIG.
BARE WITH THEM FOR A FEW HOURS TILL HE GET'S TO THEM, SORRY.........

Many of you know I won a hunt to Texas for a hog hunt. The hunt didn’t turn out even close to what I thought it was going to be but I had a GREAT time non-the-less. Something about lemons and lemonade…….

Before I get started with my story I wanted to publicly thank JABBER (Jeff) on the HuntTalk.com board for donating some Flyer Miles for my boy to come down to Texas with me. This trip, as you will see in the pictures had him smiling Ear to Ear the whole time. It will be an experience he’s not to forget and we have Jeff to thank for !!

Next, I’d like to thank Charlie, for putting up with us staying in his cabin and bombarding his weekend. He drove us back and forth to the hunt and took extra time with O-Town teaching him about guns and gun safety.

So, onto the story :

As any good hunting story goes, you have to pick up last min items from the hunting store. We slipped by and got matching shirts so when we head out of state we would still be Representing the hometown !!

picture.php

We left Boise and had a layover in Las Vegas. Not having a lot of money for the trip I put O-Town to work making a few bucks while we were waiting for the flight :

picture.php

O-Town wasn’t scared at all on the ride but did get bored. We flew SW and with open seating only sat next to each other once.

picture.php

We got to Texas around midnight and drove 2 hours + to AA’s Cabin. Along the Way we stopped to tank up and grab some goodies. (Yes, Food is always a part of my trips):

picture.php

We got settled in around 3:30 AM. Notice the Posters. AA has 2 girls. Honestly… we didn’t bring the poster :

picture.php

Waking up early I looked out the window to see this in front of the cabin :

picture.php

You might not be able to see it so I’ll blow it up a little

picture.php

We took some time to get the Brodhead’s on the Bow ready. Here is that and a picture of the living room we watched TV in.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

AA knew we were after Hawgs so we ate some that morning. He down played his cooking ability but I definitely over ate that morning for breakfast.

picture.php

Last edited:
Looking through the gun cabinet (one of 14 he has) we saw some HUGE bullets. He said we will get a Chance to shoot those later. I was Surely excited for little ‘O !!!

picture.php

With that, we was ready to roll, yo !!!!

picture.php

We shot all size’s of guns :

picture.php

picture.php

But the 50 Cal was the Prize gun for sure !!

picture.php

I had to try it first, Then O-Town got to get a Crack at it :

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

(INSERT 50 CAL VIDEO)

Last edited:
Hopefully being able to shoot my bow that night I figured I would fling a couple arrows as well. And with one last lesson on the anatomy or a pig we were ready :

picture.php

picture.php

Before we met up for the hunt we went to the beach. O-Town had never been so it was fun to see the open water with him. We took a ferry across the ocean to an Island and then turned around and came right back.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

We met “Coach”. He was what I would consider a typical Texan....... He definitely knew a lot about Hawg Huntin’ !! We got to hunt under a feeder and we were set.

picture.php

picture.php

The night was long. I got to sit on a very uncomfortable 3 legged stool and Coach and O-town got nice recliners… Something about sound, etc. We had a coon come in that I got to shoot and around 1AM a hawg came in. I had to wake both my hunting partners up but it never came in. It just stayed out of shooting distance of a bow and Growled and Snarled at us. I should have grabbed the gun, but ohh well.

The night was long and although my boy fried to stay up he got some shut eye :

picture.php

We did have a Radio interview with ESPN Hunting radio and I’m trying to get the audio for it. They called in at 5:30 and we listened to the show for about 5-10 mins before my interview was on. That was the end to the long night !! We wnet back to AA’s place and took a couple hour nap.

picture.php

Last edited:
After the nap we went looking for game. We found some and O-town got a Bead on it Texas style right away. With the sound of the corn feeder call it came into range. The birds were ready for us to leave.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
After the Successful hunt…. We did some sight seeing. Here are some old buildings, a hanging tree that they used to hang people and last but not least a Tree branch that fell out of the tree and almost KILLED US !!!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

We got to see some old ruins too. Here is a Huge Cannon….

picture.php

From there we continued hunting. We chased some grasshoppers for bait, then went down to a private pond. AA was going to show us some Trophy fish but there wasn’t that many there. I think they were fished out already.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Having rested a Couple hours I was going out on a run. Fortunately I found a Running partner :

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

We set him down….

picture.php

On your mark…

Get Set….

GO !!!!

I took the early lead :

picture.php

Then started to loose ground

picture.php

Unfortunately He ended up getting ahead and winning :

picture.php

Last edited:
So we went to grab some dinner at DQ. In Idaho, we have “Fry Sauce”. It’s like ketchup and a Mayonnaise mix. Every place has it. It’s like dumb people in Texas, it’s the norm “smile”

We asked for Fry Sauce and the lady was like “Fried Salt” ? Notice her expression :

picture.php

Here she is thinking we are pulling her leg :

picture.php

Then she realized we were “Y’all aren’t from around h’re eh ?” so she gave us a high five !!

picture.php

Last edited:
Then, we were back in the blind for the last night on Sunday :

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Nothing came in so at 1 AM we took off to look for something. Fortunately we found a critter :

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
We headed back to AA’s cabin to hunt the elusive coon.

Now, if you are following the timeline we were up all day Thursday till 3AM Friday Morning. Got up at 8AM and ran all day till 9AM Sat. Morning. Up at 12:30PM till 3AM Sunday Morning. Up 9AM Sunday, had some breakfast, took a 2 hour nap and then hit the ground running again. We’re now at Sunday Night.. Well Monday Morning about 3AM, back at the cabin when we set up for O-Towns Coon kill.

By this time we were all tiered and Giddy but the Coon hunt was just starting.

Take the time to watch the Video Clip before moving on :

(INSERT VIDEO)

O-Town couldn’t have been happier. Notice the Smile on his face:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
And AA was a Great Guide in the whole coon escapade. He’s even sporting the “W” for the Williamson sign “wink”

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last but not least, AA made Little “O” a 50 cal Bullet to take home. He has it by his bed and shows everyone.

picture.php

Although no hogs were shot at in this hog hunting trip, we had a great time. It hopefully also taught my boy that hunting (Even in Texas) isn’t guaranteed.

Last edited:
Yeah Mooseman, When I first read the post I had to use my Imagination, now I can see the pictures! Did AA get O-Town his Texas Toothpick off that coon or was it a sow? Let me know and I have an extra around the house I can send him. (It will Gross his Momma out!) John:hump::D

great stuff, again, Moosie. have all the pics here. but no videos. the cow pics are a scream. congrats Lil "O". nice critter.

The last picture I can see is of the pile of fried pork.
Sounds like a hell of a time though, can't wait til the pictures get straightened out.

Looks like you men had fun, despite the slow pig hunting. It's nice to see folks helping folks out on the forum. Thanks for sharing the story!

Hey, there's a contest for a father child fishing trip to Florida going on. Its in fireside. It includes air flight and some spending money for DQ. So, did she give you ketchup and mayo to mix together?

I call bs on no hogs showing, but am glad AA helped your son get a coon and the armadillo, he looks big.

Cool write-up on some great father-son time. Thanks for sharing Moosie.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back