Caribou Gear Tarp

MT 680 ram (no photos)

Oak

Expert
MT 680 ram (photos)

I heard a ram was killed in 680 that is 44", with nearly 18" bases. Over 200"?? Hope to see some photos soon. mtmiller, you know anything about it?

I heard one was taken in for plugging that was killed with a bow prior to the rifle opener, but didn't ask the score.

Hopefully it wasn't the governor's tag holder, although he has had a few folks spending alot of time down there.

Hopefully it wasn't the governor's tag holder, although he has had a few folks spending alot of time down there.

Nope, turns out it was a young, first-time sheep hunter. Unfortunately, he is "not into sheep hunting", and doesn't really realize what he killed. He got help from outfitter John Lewton. You know him?

Pictures soon....

44mag_1.jpg

44mag_2.jpg

Stud of Ram right there. Over 200? :eek::eek: wow.

I wonder what happens when he gets into sheep hunting?

Was this the Super tag holder?

Nemont

Stud of Ram right there. Over 200? :eek::eek: wow.

I wonder what happens when he gets into sheep hunting?

Was this the Super tag holder?

Nemont

No, it was a new resident of Montana...and his first time putting in the draw for sheep.:eek:

I don't know the score yet, but the long horn is 44", short horn is 40", bases ~18" and first quarters over 17". It's gotta be over 200", I think.

The ram greened at 204 4/8".

Right: 41 x 17 4/8 x 17 x 15 2/8 x 9 7/8 = 100 5/8

Left 44 2/8 x 17 4/8 x 17 x 15 2/8 x 9 7/8 = 103 7/8

Total= 204 4/8" green

It will likely end up being 8th or 9th all time, depending on shrinkage. Only one bigger ram has been killed in the U.S., Weatherly's ram at 204 7/8", killed in 1993.

Wow, what a ram. Incredible odds to draw that tag his first year applying. Congrats to the blessed hunter, maybe one day he will realize how blest he was/is.

Just a note, I sent these pics to the local FWP biologist and he said the initial numbers were a bit padded. When he checked the critter the long side went 42 6/8" and bases right at 16". Awesome critter. It will be interesting to find out what this guy scores in the end....or if we will ever know.

where's 680??? that'd look good on my wall---lucky phooker there, but hey he put in and was in the right place---is John Lewton a taxidermist also--seems I have some vid's of his????.......chris

Thanks for the info, Miller. I'm guessing there is a good chance it will never be entered.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back