Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

European Skull Cleaning

IdahoBugler

Fella's -
I just wanted to send out some info for you guys that might want to get your skulls cleaned by beetles.

I just meet this guy at work that has a pretty sweet business going. He has beetles and cleans skulls at a pretty dang good price. He brought up some pictures and wilecoyote and I were checking them out. He has got a pretty sweet setup and does the cleaning at his home in Boise.

He made these pods that he keeps the beetles in that are temperature controlled and vented. The beetles must love it because they've been cleaning the skulls in a hurry. Check out his website www.bareboneseuropean.com .

He had a lot more pictures of stuff he had cleaned on a flash drive. He does a great job and pays a lot of attention to make sure he doesn't dis-color the antlers.

Check him out if you need a skull cleaned.

For the price, I would definitely take them to him. He has had a lot of trial and error to get his pods right but it appears he has them going well now. The pictures of his setup are unreal. His turn around time seems to be good considering the amount of work he has.

His wife must love him dearly letting him do all of this from his garage! He has his pods directly vented to the sewer...he's thought of everything. We all know the smell of rotting carcasses..... Check out his site when you get a chance. He'll be making updates to it since his webpage is new.

Can the beetles clean up old skulls or do they have to be fresh. I skinned an elk and deer head last fall but didn't boil them. Can they clean those up?

I would rather use beetles as the boiling really makes the skulls fragile.

Looks like nice work.I just walked past my shed in the back yard and the odor that hit me reminded me that maybe i should get going on boiling my two deer and antelope skull before the wife walks by the shed.

Not bad prices at all really. Dermestid's really are the best way to clean up a skull, there are just some risks involved with having a colony. I definitely would not want my cleaning operation located in my garage.

Can the beetles clean up old skulls or do they have to be fresh. I skinned an elk and deer head last fall but didn't boil them. Can they clean those up?

I would rather use beetles as the boiling really makes the skulls fragile.

It's funny you should ask. IdahoBugler asked him this very same question. It sounds like the beetles will still clean up what is there even if it is old. We asked primarily about the cartilage and he said the beetles cleaned it up nice. I don't know about dried out flesh, that's one you would have to e-mail or call on to get a definitive answer.

Looks pretty good! Although I do all my Euro mounts myself, I've seen Taxi's charge as much as $250 for an Elk mount. Typically a deer will run a guy between $100-$200.....especially if they use beattles.

Sweet deals. I have a local dermestid guy that will clean and bleach if I just give him the cape (at least for deer and pronghorn). Without the cape, he charges $100.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
See65
Back