Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Canvas woes....

Recurve62

Just picked up a Montana Canvas tent at yard sale price, some frame pieces missing, no biggie. The woes come from the canvas, it's in very good shape, however, it smells like it was stored in the monkey house at the zoo. Anybody have any cleaver ways to de-funk it that are canvas safe.

Setting it up for a few weeks may air it out. Give Montana Canvas a call and see what they say?

Went through that last year. Set it up and cleaned it with some spray stuff that had some bleach in it inside and out then we sealed the outside with some stuff from Cabellas. Left it sit for a week or so and all was fine.

Might see if anyone has an ozone treatment thingy? I've read of reports of car detailers/restorers using these to eliminate odors in cars. Other than that, I think the above advice is about all you have left. That or buy 100gals of scent-a-way spray... ;)

Febreeze or a knock off is pretty amazing in its ability to eliminate odors. They claim to not harm fabrics.

I'm not sure if this will work but soak the tent in a Kiddy Pool of water and a product called Mirazyme. Then set it up to dry. It takes the funk out of sporting gear and is supposed to be safe for canvas.

This stuff works really well:

http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Miracle-Stain-Remover-Gallon/dp/B00025K0L2

A pet store might carry it if you don't want to pay shipping. I used to buy it at a local Petsmart and throw a couple of cap-fulls in with my kids cloth diapers. They came out like new.

The kiddie pool idea would be great, or set up the tent, dilute it a pump up sprayer and hose that sucker down.

Ive used BioKleen for everything. Just put some in a spray bottle. It has natural citrus enzymes, fabric safe. I have used it on gear, tent, cars, upholstery, daughters soccer equipment (dont think for one minute that girls athletic equipment cant reek like a guys), carpet, etc. I even used it around the muzzle of my male Aussie when the female was in heat and her hindquarters to break down her scent so he wasnt going nuts and on the male when he got skunked several times. On the skunk scent, BioKleen worked better than anything I had ever tried before, with no allergic reactions from the dog.

Great thread Mark! I have two GP small army tents that I sometimes use out west. They both have a certain "funk" to them. I'll be trying some of the suggestions above!

Great thread Mark! I have two GP small army tents that I sometimes use out west. They both have a certain "funk" to them. I'll be trying some of the suggestions above!

I have one too and a few years ago I set mine up in my yard sprayed it with waterproofing treatment and let it air for a month. Seems to have worked ok but still has a little funk to it.

New frame from Davis showed up this evening. Going to get the tent set up and then washed down as instructed by the folks at Davis tent. Will relay the results.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REVRON
Back