MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Opening Weekend Montana

Pagosa

How many of you guys in Montana have the most success on the opening weekend of the Montana rifle season? I've only hunted elk once on opening day in Montana and seen lots of elk at a distance running and lots of other hunters. It seems like the opening days are overrated since you guys have 5 weeks to rifle hunt. In Colorado the opening weekend was usually best imo. I'm hunting in region 3 and trying to figure out the best period to take either a cow/bull. I'm just excited as a kid at christmas.

Just had to rub that 5 week rifle season in my face.

Here in Colorado we may only have a 9 day rifle season with 5x's the crowding, but I don't ever have to worry about getting lonely so put that in your 5 week, bigger bulls, not sold out to landowners & outfitters, 5 week season and smoke it ;)

All you have to do is watch all the OYOA and Fresh Tracks elk hunts filmed in Colorado and you'll how much better we got it here :(

I've never seen actual numbers, but I bet it's some stupid number like 50% of bulls killed in region 3 each year are killed on opening day. There's so many places where large herds are sitting on public and will be pushed on to private after opening day. Add in the stupid amount of hunters in the field and the ok get pushed all day.

It can be a total clustercuss, but the numbers say that's probably the day with the best odds of killing a bull.

I like to get high in adjacent drainages to where I know the shooting gallery is going to be, and hope elk pass by on their escape route. I've seen a lot of cows and raghorns this way, but never had a crack at a decent bull yet doing it.

Just had to rub that 5 week rifle season in my face.

Here in Colorado we may only have a 9 day rifle season with 5x's the crowding, but I don't ever have to worry about getting lonely so put that in your 5 week, bigger bulls, not sold out to landowners & outfitters, 5 week season and smoke it ;)

All you have to do is watch all the OYOA and Fresh Tracks elk hunts filmed in Colorado and you'll how much better we got it here :(

I wasn't trying to rub it in! Lord knows Colorado has the largest elk herd and free range hippies in the western world.:D

Randy11 - What you said is similar to other reports I've heard. I have a saddle picked out between two major drainages with no horse trails into the area. If I can get out on opening weekend I may just setup there and wait it out and just deal with the cluster of hunters. That was my approach in Colorado and at some point elk would come running through. And I won't pass on a raghorn:)

I have shot three bulls and four cows on opening rifle weekend in the Belt Mountains. Once I have shot an elk mid-season in the belts and a few other occasions I have been with buddies that have gotten their elk mid to late season so I just think its about knowing your area and being persistent, a good friend told me once elk hunting is a marathon not a sprint!

Talking to the warden last year most elk are killed opening and closing weekend. A big part off that due to number off hunters out. I'd be curious as to the quality of bulls killed mid season when the numbers/pressure dies down.

Thanks for the advice guys. It sounds like I need to convince the bosses I need off a few days around late Oct. I would hate missing the opener even if I didn't see an elk. Its kind of a hunters tradition.

Shoot-Straight pretty impressed you would pack a bow during the high power season. Good luck to you guys this year.

Just the sheer number of hunters out in the field is enough to keep me away for the opener regardless of
what I'm huning.

It's kind of tough to generalize - because it can vary from location to location in MT. One thing you can generalize is that there will be a high population of hunters roaming the state.

If I'm hunting a general area where I know there will be lots of hunters, then I get up high, very early. Knowing elk travel patterns can help, but chances are small to get a big bull this way (if that's what you are into). Any legal elk - then you've got a pretty good shot at getting into something.

Private land or limited entry hunts can prove to be a bit more relaxed. If you can, look for block management areas that hold elk - but have 'difficult' signup requirements. I say 'difficult' - because they are generally easy - but you have to plan ahead (ie stop by the ranch office ahead of the season to get written permission type of stuff).

Hunting pressure is something you always have to take into account. But it will vary based on location.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back