Share your wisdom with a young bowhunter

MooseCaboose

Hey all-
After spending a couple years as an off-and-on lurker to this forum, I finally decided to take the plunge and sign myself up for an account.

Quick intro: I was born and raised in Great Falls, MT. Went to school at the University of Montana and just graduated this spring. I currently live and work in Bozeman.

As far as hunting goes, I began pursuing deer with my rifle every year since I was twelve years old, and I've managed to take a few nice bucks. I started elk hunting when I was sixteen, and I have had mixed success. My second year hunting them, I shot a bull with a special draw permit. Since then I've managed to take one other cow, also with my rifle.

After a cancer scare my freshman year of college, I decided it was time to start living life to the fullest. This meant it was time to take up archery hunting. I've managed to shoot a deer and an antelope, but I still have not really figured out how to hunt elk.

This leads to the request portion of my post, could all you Hunt Talkers please share with me any words of wisdom you have? It could be the book you found most useful or a strategy that you have figured out. I love hunting. I think about it all the time and have a strong desire to improve. Unfortunately I would characterize my skills as average at best. I'd love to change that, and I know you guys can help! Thanks

For every 10 people that start off Hunt Talk in the wrong way...there is 1 that starts off correctly. You nailed it...welcome to the forum! No other words of wisdom really...there are guys on here that know a heck of a lot more about elk hunting then I probably every will. I just wanted to give you kudo's for starting off your Hunt Talk career the right way!

I'm also a relative elk rookie, so this is my $0.02...

Since you live near elk country, hunt as many days as possible during the archery season. I did not do this the first year I lived in CO, waiting for the rut and cooler weather. And I was kicking myself later when I ran out of season. As you know, bowhunting for elk is really hard and every extra minute you spend out there could make the difference, and you'll learn a lot more and find new spots along the way.

I shot my first elk last fall when I made the mad dash out to the nearest spot on a weekday after work. Hit the trail at 4:15pm and loosed an arrow an hour later. I kind of figured it would be a walk in the woods and hope to hear a bugle or two but came across a cow and called it in close enough for a shot... it was the 7th day of the season. I also almost killed a bull on the opening morning still hunting a ridge top.

Good luck this fall.

You live in a good area to chase elk. My advice would be to get out as much as possible. I used to live in Bozeman and I would hunt almost every day . You have many choices the bridgers, hyalite, and gallitin canyon. All those areas are close enough for a morning or afternoon hunt depending on your schedule. I killed a 6x5 bull my first year archery hunting simply because I was out every morning and after doing many things wrong I got lucky. Find a good spot away from people and hunt as much as possible and something good will happen. Only other advice would be to always play the wind. When the bulls are hot you can get away with a lot of stuff like making noise , etc , but if they smell you it's game over. Lots of bulls in ur area . Go get one. Good luck

My record of archery hunting elk is one of dismal failure, so my advice is probably of limited value.
I have managed to get close to some really big bulls, but something always happens to spoil things at the last second.

If your in the woods with your bow BE READY at all times. Be ready for a shot opportunity to happen at any second, when you least expect it.

Be prepared for multiple blown opportunities, don’t get discouraged when you sneak within 40 yards of a great bull, standing broadside in the open when, at the last second;

The wind changes and he bolts
Another hunter spooks him
A cow spots you and barks a warning

It can and will happen, just keep trying and keep learning. Nothing that the most experienced elk hunter can tell you is as valuable as “in the field” experience.

Practice shooting your bow from weird positions and angles, and field judging distances.
That standing on the 40 yard line, flat ground on the range stuff rarely happens in the field.

Be prepared for multiple blown opportunities, don’t get discouraged when you sneak within 40 yards of a great bull, standing broadside in the open when, at the last second;

Pretty much this, but also take time to enjoy the way your hunting and experiences with animals change. I've had limited success in general - I took the small bull in my profile pic a couple years ago as my first archery animal in 3+ years. During that hunt, I was in range of several nice AZ bulls, but couldn't make it happen. I crawled within about 15 yards of a real toad, who had cows and calves all around. I could hear them chewing. Surrounding this, some smaller (but still nice to me) satellite bulls began locking horns and sparring - nothing serious but it was like thunder crashing at that range. This went on for more than 30 minutes. The big boy never exposed himself enough for me to get a shot and the whole herd moved off, without running, toward their bedding area leaving me kneeling in the area. Despite no arrow released, no blood on the ground and no grip and grin pictures - it was without a doubt the single coolest experience I've had while hunting. To me, that's what archery hunting elk is all about. So my advice is to enjoy the moments. How you measure success is up to you.

Well I guess you could call me a rookie because I've been hunting with a bow for about 8 or 9 years but
I still have yet to tag anything. Had lots of close calls but no good shot opportunities, I don't want to
make a bad shot.
I do use a rifle sometimes but here in nevada you have to choose your hunts according to weapon.
My advice is practice, practice, practice. And lots of persistence.

Know where the elk are going to be at the time of year you are hunting them. Sounds too simple, but it's not. A lot of people look at a map and think it is all the same. It's not.

A benefit of archery season is that it is the easiest time to locate elk. They are their most predictable, and vocal/visible, at that time.

You need to find cows. Cows attract bulls. Sounds too simple, I know, but too many people overlook it. It boils down to this question - Where do you find cows?

Answer - Wherever the best feed is located. Look for burns or fringe/edge areas. Those will have the highest nutrition forage. Hard to overstate that.

Cows have one goal in life - gain weight to raise the calf they hope to birth next summer. They are remarkably good at finding the best nutrition on the mountain. Even if the mountain has bad nutrition, cow elk will find the "best of that bad" nutrition.

Be out glassing them right now. The nutrition source in mid to late August is going to be the same stuff they are eating in early September, It will change some through September, but not much.

I am sure some think I have over simplified. To me, the TV and magazine experts like to over complicate. Sells more products that way.

Good luck.

Know where the elk are going to be at the time of year you are hunting them. Sounds too simple, but it's not. A lot of people look at a map and think it is all the same.

Big Fin has great advice, this is what he does "hunts" and does it well, I have pretty much the same advice, find where the elk are and not where they have been.....
Matt

I'm glad you worked through your cancer scare, that is never an easy thing to do. It's also great you have a new positive outlook on life and renewed vigor for hunting. Some good advice given and I'm sure you'll get more on how to hunt the wiley wapiti. The one thing I would stress is keep things in perspective when you delve deeper into the hunt.

Hunting is a way of life and as you said, it is with us all on a daily basis in one way or another. While you are focusing on the kill, don't forget to appreciate everything else leading up to and after it. The journey to your destination can and will hold more significance than your final arrival. Best of luck in all your pursuits!

Thanks for the sound advice Big Fin.

I appreciate everyone's encouraging comments. I am definitely someone who focuses on enjoying the experience of the hunt, but I would also love to be able to eat elk steaks year round! This guy doesn't need a monster; a full freezer would suffice.

Know where the elk are going to be at the time of year you are hunting them. Sounds too simple, but it's not. A lot of people look at a map and think it is all the same. It's not.

I will emphasize this as well. I am in your same shoes trying to figure out how to elk hunt, and what I have found is that every year I am getting a little better at locating them, and more encounters is what is going to lead to opportunities to kill one.

Last year was my fourth year chasing elk with a bow, I had a cow tag in a WY LE area, and I ended up with 5 bulls offering up a shot, but 0 cows. I chalk this up to bad luck, but the good news was that for the first time I was in elk everyday.

My best piece of advice is to hang out here more and soak up the knowledge. There are alot of good existing threads on calling, locating, tactics on the forum. Read them all. The other reccommendation I would give is to buy the Elknut's Playbook and Corey Jacobson's DVD "Elk Hunting University", both are outstanding resources for the new elk hunter.

http://stores.elknut.com/playbook/

http://www.elk101.com/store/elk101-com-university-of-elk-hunting-dvd/

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back