Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Lot's of Questions.....CO Elk

I saw several different bugles on blackovis. What needs to be considered when picking one?

I personally feel that bugles are way over used and elk have become educated to them. With the bugles becoming easier and easier to use and more user friendly, it seems that they are over used by hunters who haven't been educated on how and when to use them properly. I think it's more important to concentrate on cow calls. Get a couple of different ones with different sounds so that you can sound like more than one cow/calf. Sorry, Paul...I'm just speaking from my experience and friends' experience...not trying to argue with you :D

Last edited:
I use a Primos Terminator bugle. It is really easy to use and sounds good. You can bugle all you want, just do it at the right time. If you go out during the first week of archery and it's 12 o clock noon and 65 degrees, then don't bugle but if its first thing in the morning or getting later at night don't be afraid to bugle and try to locate some elk. I also think that the primos hoochie mamas are a easy to use and good sounding call. I turkey hunt 20-30 days a year so I'm pretty used to using a mouth call and I really like those as well. A little practice and you will be good to go.

Last edited:
I use a Primos Terminator bugle. It is really easy to use and sounds good. You can bugle all you want, just do it at the right time. If you go out during the first week of archery and it's 12 o clock noon and 65 degrees, then don't bugle but if its first thing in the morning or getting later at night don't be afraid to bugle and try to locate some elk. I also think that the primos hoochie mamas are a easy to use and good sounding call. I turkey hunt 20-30 days a year so I'm pretty used to using a mouth call and I really like those as well. A little practice and you will be good to go.

I have Hoochie Mama (the call, lol) and a Carlton cow call. I'll probably pick up a bugle to have just in case. But not sure his much I will use it. Guess I'll just wait and see how other stuff works.

I have Hoochie Mama (the call, lol) and a Carlton cow call. I'll probably pick up a bugle to have just in case. But not sure his much I will use it. Guess I'll just wait and see how other stuff works.

To me it's just like hunting/calling turkeys, I turkey hunt A LOT, you can be the best caller in the world with the best call money can buy, but if the elk/turkey/whatever isn't in the mood to respond or come in to your calls then it doesn't really matter. I been in the turkey woods with a grand champion caller, been on David Letterman twice, and he couldn't get anything to come, which just tells you it's more about timing then the brand of call you use. Just have fun. The best piece of advice I have gotten is from a outfitter and host of Remington Country hunting show, Dan Harrison. He basically keeps it simple, don't pressure the elk, if they are sleeping and relaxing you should be too. Give them space and security and you will have a better overall hunt.

To me it's just like hunting/calling turkeys, I turkey hunt A LOT, you can be the best caller in the world with the best call money can buy, but if the elk/turkey/whatever isn't in the mood to respond or come in to your calls then it doesn't really matter. I been in the turkey woods with a grand champion caller, been on David Letterman twice, and he couldn't get anything to come, which just tells you it's more about timing then the brand of call you use. Just have fun. The best piece of advice I have gotten is from a outfitter and host of Remington Country hunting show, Dan Harrison. He basically keeps it simple, don't pressure the elk, if they are sleeping and relaxing you should be too. Give them space and security and you will have a better overall hunt.

This^^^

Longlifefood.com was a great addition to my pack for an easy meal without heat. I bought a case of the entrees and would go all day on two. No need for the whole MRE. I'm with you on the rain gear. Wet inside and out is no fun. Good socks, smartwool, and change often is good for the feet. I use unscented deodorant on my feet also. Toes stay lubed and not as sweaty. The only thing that freeked me out was the lightning storms that accompany the rain. Can't do a darn thing about that. Good luck and have fun. I've been four times and I only get one or two good opportunities each time I go. Haven't got one back to the truck, yet it's still worth it.

The day has finally come!! I left my house at 4:00 this morning and am eating brunch at the Big Texan in Amarillo right now. I hope to be there and have camp set up before dark. Tomorrow morning the adventure begins!!

The primos terminator is a good bugle. Cow calling will yield more success . If you are hunting solo I would suggest buying a primos hyper lip reed call to use in conjunction with your hoochie mama . If you can make yourself sound like multiple cows , I've found that it tends to bring in more animals than just mews from a single call. I like to blow on my reed call and extend my arm with the hoochie mama in different directions. Another piece of advice is to be very patient when cow calling. Last Friday I was calling in a new area with my friend and got up after thirty minutes , started walking to my friend only to have him signal that an elk was below him. I sat back down and started calling again. Minutes later looked back up the hill and there was a six point standing where I was originally calling from. Long story short we had four more bulls come to our setup . Three from above and one from below . My friend stuck the one from below. That was 45 minutes of calling and the only bugle was from the one my buddy killed. Cow calls and patience. Hope this helps. Good luck

Back