MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Elk hunting boots

I would call Lathrop and Sons. Very knowledgeable and can fit to your foot. Not sure if you could get a custom shoe before this season though. I bought a pair of Lowa Cevedale GTX. Breaking them in now. Will give them the acid test soon.

I have this problem! First thing to do is wear duct tape on your feet! You know the wear spots. I take about a 6 inch piece and place on each heel every morning. Also carry tape in your pack. If you start to feel a hot spot STOP! Add tape, then continue. Next I bought me some Kenetreks. Then I discovered with my narrow heel woman's Kenetreks fit better.

Yes I wear woman's boots! But my feet don't bleed....

Nothing cheaper than the Meindles from Cabelas. They may not be the best, but they are damn good boots. After a few long hikes in them they fit your feet like a well used leather glove. Take it from someone who has sprained two ankles in the last 9 months. Yes you can do anything you want in any shoe but one miss step or hole you didn't see under the snow and your hunt is over! Just for the record one was in rubber boots the other was last week in my old day hikers where I slipped on a pebble on my front porch and I probably hike, backpack, or hunt 45 weekend out of the year. IT'S NOT WORTH THE RISK!!!

I have harvested to 2 bulls with a ton of gauze, triple antibiotic and duct tape on both feet. Just makes life real hard on the mountain.

TRIGGER50 - color blind wow. that would be tough, hope you got tracking help handy.

Is lathrop the company that builds a boot on foot tracing on paper ? I am not hunting this year, spent all my $ on fixing my cabin in northern WI this year. Next year is set in stone..unless I am dead.

I would spend a ton on a boot that will not tear up my feet...cant tell you how much it sucks

where do you try all these different boots ?

Have gun will travel
I would try womens boots, but where ? I have a gander mountain near by (they suck ..btw)

I just looked at Lathrop n Sons website.. pretty pricey stuff, custom boots guaranteed to fit... that's pretty awesome if true

My son wears kennetrek, swears by the them but he has size 13 feet. can't really compare to my size 11

Lowa

I bought the Lowa Cevedale GTX from Lathrop and Sons and they are so comfortable I wear them many days. Get the custom foot beds as well and I assure you, you'll be thankful. They are awesome boots and great people to deal with!!

I wanted to try those Cevedales but he didn't think he could get them out to me before a few weeks, unfortunately I need them sooner for Sept. 1st I hunting. Wish I would have stumbled onto these guys sooner.

If you get blisters on your heels your boots don't fit. Uphill will induce heel lift, downhill will shove toes to the end of the toe box (black nail).
get boots that fit your feet, use a liner sock, and lace them up so nothing moves but your toes

My one and only dealing with Lathrop and Sons was too good. ;) I haven't found a boot yet that fit as well as the Meindl Island Pros with footbed that I got from them. I did just buy a Cabelas Meindl Denali that is quite similar to the Island Pros and plan on getting some of their insoles for them. I wanted to try to Cevedale, but $$ wasn't there this year for them. I got the Cabelas 'free' with my points. That said, my next boot will be from Lathrop and Sons.

So far the Denali's are quite confortable, just need/want a bit more cushion in the forefoot. Hence, why I'm ordering some of their High Country Footbeds.

Ever notice this? I have FAR more boots than I do rifles or knives. Boots for snow. Boots for deserts. Boots for swamps. Boots for on trail. Boots for off trail. Every night before I hunt I fret about which boots to wear. Then, inevitably, at some point over the day I think to myself, damn, I should have worn those other boots... All I know is boots gotta fit. That's No. 1.

I would stay Way from Kenetreks with heal issues. I have had to cease using them because they hurt my heals no matter what. To compound issues I was using them during a hot dry September elk season in 2012 so they were total overkill. They are quality but fit would likely be an issue. I'm trying Meindls this year and not sure how they'll work either but we shall see.

I never wear hunting boots. I have tried Danner Pronghorns, they weigh a ton! That being said, I am blessed with strong ankles so I can get away with it. I wear vasque hiking shoes, rocky hiking shoes, and I'll bring a pair of gaiters with me in case it looks like snow or rain but hiking shoes are all I use.

boots for idaho

I have decided to employ the Lasthrop & Sons foot mapping services.
Sent in my foot tracings and foot pics.

Waiting to see what they will recomend for me. I know will will be pricey but at this point i dont care.
I have had it with tore up feet, makes 1 heck of a long elk camp.

I am quite hopefull, need to get this thing moving though.. will need time to breakin another pair of boots before October.

boots

I've had Pronghorns, as well as several of the higher end American made Danners, still have a pair of their Canadiennes (all leather) that are 15 years old. Pronghorns will not perform in the mountains, not like a pair of dedicated mountain boots. On the other hand, Pronghorns are like sneakers right out of the box.... very comfortable. That said, I now use Zamberlans, I have the old 920 steeps. These boots will protect you like no flatland boot can. What do I mean? Well, you should not be able to pick up the boot and easily flex it in your hands, nor should you be able to twist it. Zamberlans, Lowas, Meindels, Kennetrecks, Crispis (I've had these on - excellent), Hanwags...... these type of boots will preserve your plantar fascia and prevent hypermobility in your foot and ankle that will prematurely fatigue you, and provide the required protection from stone bruises or worse.
I never select an insulated boot for western hunting, too heavy, too hot. It is very important to get proper socks, I wear Bridgedale wool hikers with a liner sock. The fit is precise, there are no blisters, and I am not cold. Pay attention to this detail, it is as important as your boots.
Lastly, if the fit is not precise, consider aftermarket insoles like Superfeet greens - I have had good luck with these tightening up sloppy (in the heels) Danners. The Zamberlans fit like they were sprayed on, so I just stick with factory.

I'm just the opposite of most of you guys, I want the lightest, most tennis shoe like boot I can find.

I've come off the mountain with some pretty heavy loads on my back and not once did I ever wish for heavier boots!

I live in the Colorado mountains, and wear the Danner Pronghorns with the rubber toe protector on them. I'll wear them year around, and they last about a year. When broke in, I find them comfortable. Just today, I estimate I walked 8-9 miles on steep, rocky terrain. Yes, my feet are tired tonight, but hey, I'm 65 years old too. I buy from Cabela's, because if you have a boot failure, (Danner's are made in China), they stand behind them.
I've tried the mountaineering boots, but thought they were too stiff. Am I not giving them a chance?

Back