Fighting CO Point Creep !

Trigger50

I might be getting to the breaking point w this Colorado "pt creep".:eek: I have 15 CO elk pts but I'm not gaining any ground on the top trophy units. They just keep climbing. When I starting applying it took 9 pts to draw the top unit. Now its 22 pts !!! :mad: And there isnt many units in my pt range. Looks like the only unit in my range is elk unit 10. What do u guys think ? Should I stay the course or start planning a unit 10 hunt the next couple yrs. I gotta start researching unit 10.

I'd cash 'em in and hunt unit 10. I'm sure you'd have a great time, and hunting is better than not hunting.

I came to the conclusion last year that with 13 points I had reached "the point of diminishing returns" and went hunting in Unit 76.

Ok, my bad. Got my units screwed up. I'm still in the very early stages of planning this hunt. Ive mainly been working on my WY elk hunt right now. Anyway...unit 10 is 19 pts right now for muzzleloader. Its units 12, 40, 49, 66, 67 & maybe 76 are in my reach. I have a buddy that used to guide in 66. He didn't recommend that unit without horses & deep lungs ! Corax...how did ur unit 76 hunt go ?

I am one point behind every year for the deer unit I put in for! Can't catch it. Be too old when I do! But I do OTC archery elk every year and love it!

I'd say go hunting. Chances are good that when you get to 23 points, you'll need 30 to draw the unit you want.

I think point systems are a good idea. The reality is that this more demand for some units than there is supply - the point system gives predictability, and favors those who plan ahead. Chasing the glory units is a lost cause, IMO.

I know the CPW and small Western Colo towns make a bunch of $ off OTC elk hunters and many hunters enjoy hunting crowded conditions for dink bulls every year. If the CPW ever changed to all draw units in Colo similar to what they've done with deer it would spread out applicants over more units. Every elk hunter that applies and drew first choice tags would burn pref pts rather than sitting back and purchasing OTC tags every year. This equates to less pt creep. Also, draw systems sometimes change and some day Colo may convert to a different system similar to UT or NV where everyone has a chance to draw tags in any given year but those that have applied the longest have a little better chance.

Colo deer are a different matter. Colo has had some horrible winters + drought over the past few years. Obviously when deer tags are a fraction of what they were 5 to 10 years ago it's going to take a lot longer to draw. Hopefully deer numbers rebound and there will be more tags issued and more happy hunters! There are still super good deer tags that can be drawn every year so having all draw units (rather than OTC) has helped hunters draw all but a relatively few max pref pt units.

This is why I don't hunt with"trophy" hunters. There is no such thing as a "dink" bull, just "dink" headed hunters.

If I were you I would burn those points on a 1st Rifle bull tag in unit 76. That's not a very informed opinion though. :p

I had the same problem and cashed mine in for a Unit 76 hunt a few years back and shot a nice bull. Loved it and I would recommend it. Let me know if you have any questsions.

If you play the points game so your goal is to hunt once or twice more in your lifetime per state for elk or deer then good for you. Quality is in the eyes of the beholder.

I embraced that strategy through my 40s. If I drew a primo tag that year then great though if not I would pick up a leftover pronghorn tag or OTC whitetail tag back in the Midwest. I even bought a couple of landowner tags when I had wanderlust to experience new country.

Now, I would rather hunt 2 or 3 hunts per year that offer 50% or better harvest rates with low hunter density if can get back off the roads a mile or two. I would rather hunt bugling raghorns than hunt in silent timber for incredible beasts. I no longer have much room in my house to hang critters so a 280" elk or 160" muley or 65" pronghorn will eat just fine.

Good luck on your draws and hunts. I will look at your pictures and appreciate your patience and determination.

If you're not within 1 or 2 points of drawing the "premium" elk hunts in CO, you will never catch up without a change in the system. And there isn't a hunt in the state worth a 20 year wait, IMO.

The second and third tier hunts in CO will soon be the same way, I suspect. I keep thinking that eventually folks will come to realize that the math just doesn't add up for the vast majority to ever get to hunt those NW corner units.

Whatever happened to the saying "Any elk is a good elk?". In most of the "dink" bull units, if you're willing to hike a ways, you can get away from the crowds and find some bigger bulls if the size of the rack is all that matters to you. Consider yourself lucky to be able to consistently plan an elk hunt every year (a 50 year family tradition in my case), because of OTC tags...

The thought if waiting 10, 15, 20 years to go on a hunt is CRAZY to me. I'd say go hunting. I'm sticking to my "no more than 5 points" rule for any one state and animal, with the exception of my AZ sheep points.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back