RMEF dinners

2rocky

Went to a RMEF dinner last weekend. As always it was a great dinner and good time. The dinner tickets sold out in record time, but I felt like the auction was slow. The hunts that were auctioned off were well below market value.

The chapter had 5 different games of chance for individual raffles, as well as Silent and Live auctions.

My Questions for those of you who are on Dinner and Auction committees is this:

How do you feel about items selling below market value in the Silent and Live auctions?

Do you view it as a loss leader to generate more attendees?

When will RMEF say a certain dinner location is no longer cost effective?

Back about a decade ago, I was the Southern Idaho State volunteer chairman for the RMEF. They really have these banquets down to a science, with decisions made on statistics from multiple previous years banquets. They determine how much money is spent per attendee based on total incomes from previous banquets and then figure out their merchandise budget based on their desired profit margin.

In regards to items selling below market value on auctions, of course they want to maximize their profit, but it really comes down to what they have into it. If the item was a full donation and they have nothing invested in it, then any dollars gained go in the black. However if it is a rifle that they paid full or near wholesale value for.....it often ends up at a loss.

The banquet planning and budgeting comes down to the committee, primarily the chairman and a few key volunteers, as well as the regional director ( a paid member of RMEF staff ). After all the banquets historical statistics are out on the table, and realistic predictions are made, it is the regional director who has the final say as to the budget. It is truly his job that is on the line if banquets don't meet the predicted and desired income/profit.

All that being said, RMEF is a great organization, dedicated to putting those dollars on the ground. I have no problem walking away from a banquet empty handed after buying hand fulls or raffle tickets, knowing the money I "lost", couldn't be going to better use.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back