The Missing Lynx

"you stay away from my traps!" Love it. I'd have been freaking out without a catch pole. Cool video.

That is a fantastic video! He has more guts than I do, for sure. Interesting that he caught the cat by a foot in a body grip.

Last edited:
Just because an animal is caught in a leg hold trap doesn't mean it's going to have foot damage. If the trap is sized accordingly and one uses best trapping methods then the foot should be good to go on a release.

Most animals that are caught for relocation are caught in legholds. If the weather is really cold, then the foot might freeze because of lack of circulation.

catch poles are a must for getting a cat out of a trap.

That is a fantastic picture, but I have to agree with the bobcat consensus.

Hummer, animals that are released from traps are more concerned with escaping than attacking the trapper. It is not a real big concern. Foot-hold traps do not necessarily damage feet, although they can under certain circumstances.

Great picture. Here is a link to a youtube video my buddy Colby made a few years ago. In the video, he releases a bobcat that he caught in a pine marten set after bobcat season is over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjSh0MVv4WI

Thanks, guys. Good to know they can be released and that video illustrates it very well. Great video, thanks for posting it! So the bobcat killed and ate two pine martens in the traps. I'd bet the bobcat gets caught again.

I've used catch poles for raccoons and muskrats, but nothing more dangerous.
Have also used blankets and towels to catch a variety of other wildlife, hawks, eagles, owls, herons.... Today, I have a special problem to deal with, a little black and white kitty caught last night.... :(

awesome picture, but the black tail with the white underneath means it is a big ole bobcat

http://travel4wildlife.com/tell-difference-between-canadian-lynx-bobcat/#!prettyPhoto

Very good comparison of the two cats, thanks.

Here's a photo of a bobcat I took a few years ago at a rehab facility. They had three bobcats that were unlawfully kept for pets as kittens. They had been declawed and so were unreleasable. Looks just like the one my friend photographed.

35ish grains of lead about .22 inches around launched from about 50 yards upwind always does the trick for me.

http://www.growingdeer.tv/view/2011/02/10/predatortrapping-skunks-box-traps/

Interesting. Some say they'll spray every time when shot and one might think a head shot would prevent that. It's been a long time since I've attempted to shoot a skunk since putting a 9mm hole through an aluminum irrigation pipe--from the inside. :p

To follow up, Mr. Pepe Le Pew took a gentle swim and I didn't get sprayed.

:eek:

The water trick works well. The most sure "dry" way to take care of him and not get sprayed is a syringe on a pole. Some acetone injected into his lungs dispatches him quickly and without spraying. I have never done it, but a friend of mine makes good money on his skunks by harvesting the spray and also selling the hides. I always just shot them and dealt with the consequences!

Back