Mountain lions and electronic calls

Should electronic callers be allowed for hunting mountain lions?

• Yes

Votes: 42 80.8%
  • No

Votes: 10 19.2%

• Total voters
I just want to get them thinned out as any other predator that has an effect on wild game, down to manageable(?) levels.

Thanks for the votes so far. I'm not a lion hunter, so I don't have a strong opinion. I'd like to hear comments from both sides.

I'd like to see them allow electronic game calls. I don't have dogs and am not going to pay the price to kill a cat in MT with someone who runs dogs. The only other altenative is to randomly run across one while out deer or elk hunting, which I have, but the odds are slim! There are quotas set for each district, does it really matter how they are harvested as long as the quota is met? I'm allowed to use a Foxpro for coyotes and such, why not big cats? I think they cater to the MT houndsmen because once treed, proof of sex is much easier to identify, thus they are able to meet specific quotas! FWP even has a mountain lion identification test on their website. If they want people to know what they are shooting, make the test mandatory prior to buying a license, just like they do with the bear identifacation test. Just my 2 cents worth.

I'm allowed to use a Foxpro for coyotes and such, why not big cats?

Coyotes are listed as predatory animals, and not under the purview of FWP. Lions are a game species, and therefore, the FWP Commission sets the rules and regs for lion hunting.

As far as houndsmen, I'd just say this: The houndsmen of MT are a fairly well organized group of folks, and they get stuff done.

Mouth call

I kind of feel that if you bought a tag you can hunt em...don't need big brother telling us how to do it.

On that note, a mouth call is perfectly legal and will work about as well as the electronics... so buy a mouth call and go hunt;)

I have called lions in with a mouth call... quite scary, as one of them crawled right up to about 25 yards of me in the sage brush/junipers and I didn't know it was there. I started getting the creeps for no reason and stood up to leave and it stood up as I did:eek:

Last edited:
No. Least not in Montana. I value montana's approach to keep as traditional as possible. Other states, more power to them for what they want... Though it is nice to know we do not permit baiting, electronic range rifle scopes... laser scopes, etc.

Electronics are a lasy persons way to bypass the rugged true hunt many appreciate.

Same as those that go to a high fenced hunt... Stay in a beautiful lodge attached... driven out to a heated, coffee served, padded seat hunting blind at perfect range for the best antler growth feed automatically spreading... Then rifle boom arrow slung! Cheer how great a hunter the person is and the massive rack the deer had while having a second cup of hot coffe with specialty creamers (hell maybe even a potable starbucks) sipping the coffee waiting for the seat warmer to get to the correct temp so the "hunter" can ride back to the lodge and tell his Paul Bunyon story and beat his manly chest... all the while they conplete the feild dressing and packaging.

Hunter heads home with another AWESOME hunt under his belt... HAHAHA! :D

That is a fun extreme exageration though follows my starting thoughts of using electronic calls for game... Haha! Would I apologies to those who love their electronics for hunting regulated game - if you took offense... no apologies - just my opinion. ;)

Comparing ecallers to hunting high fence,,,well is just plain silly.

Comparing ecallers to hunting high fence,,,well is just plain silly.

Intended as such - hense this portion of the post:
That is a fun extreme exageration...

Everything starts somehwere... this just took it to an extreme humorous view... ;)

Anyone up for electronic elk callers? Hope that too stays out of Montana...

Last edited:
I think the question is rigged...Getting a mtn lion to come in with a call is almost as hard as spotting and stalking one. These two methods are the last result if dogs can't be used.

Dogs give you the best chance but its still difficult at that.

So it looks like about 3 to 1 in favor of using them. That's about what I expected. I was hoping more of the "no" voters would give their reasons, but I guess people are shy.

I had never really given it a thought, as I don't have much desire to hunt lions. My first thought was, "why not?" The odds of calling one in with a mouth call or electronic call are very slim. I know it is done, but not very frequently.

As I posted in another thread, Colorado has a brand new chapter of Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife, announced just 3 weeks ago. The chapter's very first public action was to testify to the state Wildlife Commission last week against the use of electronic callers for mountain lions. I found it a bit surprising given that the SFW agenda is usually based on increasing ungulate populations and promoting increased predator control. Given the fact that Colorado hunters never come close to the statewide harvest quota, I wondered why they would oppose potentially getting more people out in the field and hunting them. I was hoping some of you would provide reasonable thoughts about why they should not be permitted.

Anyway, thanks for the responses. The results were what I expected.

I don't really care one way or another if we're limiting the discussion to lion (I don't hunt them), but I would vote against the use of electronic calls if I was forced to pick as side. I would be worried that permitting the use of electronic calls for lions might eventually lead to widespread use for all species. I'd hate to see my home state (Montana) allow hunters to use electronic calls for elk, turkey, etc. I'm all for technology that decreases a hunter's chance of wounding an animal (e.g., range finders), but I don't like the idea of using technology to increase the rate of encounters. I know it's a fine line as rifles, which are more technologically advanced than bows, increase the chances of an animal wandering within range, but I think you get the gist of what I'm trying to say.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back