Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Colorado unit 14

Shot my first bull in runaway truck ramp draw. If you are a walker get into the top of the Walton Creek Drainage from Rabbit Ears Pass. Which season?

I've never hunted up in that end. My experience in 14 is 25 years old now and all of it was off of Rabbit Ears Pass and north. It probably is not of much use now. There is lots of pressure by 2nd season, look in the tough to access spots.

I've hunted that area several times over the last 20 years. Its a very popular area. It seems to be one of those areas that the CDW really likes to brag up.

Ive only hunted 14 during the bow and muzzleloader seasons because it was a state wide mz tag unit and also an over the counter archery unit.

Plan on getting way back into areas that havent been pounded by others during the earlier seasons.

The timber can be tough to move thru in some areas. This area has had a ton of pine beetle damage. The remenants of Routt Divide blow down, also add to the misery of foot travel.

My thoughts are this. By the second season, elk are probably going to be on private lands or holed up in tough spots that will require some sweat to reach. These places may be way off the roads into Zirkel, or an area thats to darn thick and miserable for anyone else to reach. Good luck, its a pretty area, with good access from RD 64/FR40.

Hunted GMU 14 last year - second rifle - will be headed back this year for first rifle. If I knew how to hunt elk I'd be more than willing to help you out :).....this will only be my second elk hunt and I ate my tag last year. Did see some elk though. Good luck!

We hunt just south of that area, FS 471/Bowes Mining rd. You are hunting off of Seed House it looks like? Anyhow, I know that an outfitter does work in the area between you and I. In 2013 we hunted 2nd rifle in the Zirkle WA and other than at camp, we saw zero other hunters but we walked in pretty deep. Saw sign out the "Whazoo" but being first timers..... well...... Long story short, I guess elk aint whitetails. We learned a lot and have since gathered a lot of info from people smarter than us so this year....... high hopes. Oh, and yes, lots of blow down.

Back