Comfort zone in bowhunting

SakibombNM

Hey fellas,

Being the young buck that I am, I was looking at my Facebook feed earlier in the day and a post by Jim Shockey caught my eye. In summary, he asked "What is the farthest distance that you would take a shot on an animal using a bow and arrow?" Now, what I found interesting is the arguments that this question provoked in the comments section. There were many people urging how they could not fathom shooting at an animal past 30 yards and that by taking a shot like that you are unethical. I'm no Fred Bear, but growing up in the southwest it is my experience that most of my shots come between the 40-60 yard zones therefore the ethics that should be brought into question are really how proficient you are with your equipment. I'm not looking to start any arguments here, but since there is a large amount of western hunters in the forum I'd like to get your opinion on the matter.

I feel very comfortable at 30yds. When I took bow hunter ed the instructors had us write down our comfort range when we signed in. Most put 40-50, when we went out to shoot they brought out "the pig of truth". It was a steel pig silhouette with 8 in window. Everyone busted an arrow.

Range that you shoot at can't be dictated, you just have to be honest with yourself. Me, I won't even shoot past 40yds right now. That said, I know many an archer than can shoot better than me at 40 at much longer distances. I would guess that most of the 30yd and under proponents were from places east of the Big Muddy where many/most set up for less than 30yd bow shots. I know where I hunt in Indiana, very few of my archery setups allow for more than 30yd shots.

PS- Insert Dirty Harry quote here...

I'm comfortable out to 40. That's what I practice for and what I feel comfortable shooting. Like 1_pointer said though, in the woods of the midwest during the early archery season you aren't really going to get many shots past 30 yards. The last couple of years hunting whitetails I think my farthest shot was at about 25.

The first few seasons I hunted, I used a Recurve, and didn't feel good beyond 15 or 20. With today's gear and constant practice, I think an individual could feel ethical and effective at distances in the 60 to 70 yard range.

But those are individuals who practice every day. I would bet two-thirds of the bowhunters out there shoot their bows only 4 or 5 months a year. I am in that subset of bowhunters, and feel confident and in control of my shots out to 40 or 45 yards.

I like the "pig of truth" idea.

I practice all the way out to 80, but I don't think I'd feel comfortable shooting past 40 on big game. I've shot one turkey at 45, but both of my deer were about 10 yards. IMHO the margin for error starts to get so low once you get beyond 30 that most shooters should really think twice before taking a long shot. A lot more variables come into play: wind, adrenal rush, and not to mention... animals don't sit still very often.

I think a hunter should really evaluate his/her skills with a bow and set limits before taking to the field. I've taken my younger cousin under my wing when it comes to bowhunting whitetails and I've put him on a 20 yard restriction. Anything farther than that gets to walk. When he gets a little more accomplished, we'll extend his range a little.

Only you can answer this question. I use a six inch circle as my measure, if I can get them all in 6 inches with broadheads, I will take the shot. That being said: wind, angle, position, etc all play a part in my comfort level and on any given day my comfortable range could be as short as 30 or as long as 70.

The other consideration when you start talking about elk is penetration. I wouldn't take a shot at an elk past 60, just because I don't feel like I have a chance at getting to the second lung.

All depends on the state, persons comfort level and conditions. In MN you have no need to shoot over 50 if not less. The point of hunting with a bow for me is to figure out the animal and get close and that to me is put your stand in the perfect spot to get within 50 yards.

Now out west for spot and stalk...different story. That question will start a pissing match.

I like the "pig of truth" idea.

It's a tool that forces you to be honest with yourself. Two guys there that shot at 40 yes were pissed because they had just lost and arrow. When their excuses got to the point of annoying the instructor called them out. "I know this isn't your practice range in your back yard but neither is where you are hunting. So what if you broke a $10 arrow, what about wounding and losing an animal?

I'm not ready to put a pig of truth in my backyard, but I sure as he'll think about it every time I draw.

It's a tool that forces you to be honest with yourself. Two guys there that shot at 40 yes were pissed because they had just lost and arrow. When their excuses got to the point of annoying the instructor called them out. "I know this isn't your practice range in your back yard but neither is where you are hunting. So what if you broke a $10 arrow, what about wounding and losing an animal?

I'm not ready to put a pig of truth in my backyard, but I sure as he'll think about it every time I draw.

This is unfortunately a great example of how alot of bowhunters think. I think alot of bowhunters have a hard time passing a less that ethical shot when they have an animal that is just outside their range, and then claim they have no idea what happened when they miss or wound an animal.

The worst part is that I see TV hunters taking all kinds of questionable shots on their shows, get marginal hits, and it just perpetuates the belief that a bow is a long range weapon. If you are a bowhunter, there is going to come a time in your career that you lose an animal even taking shots at 20yds, so why would you want to exagerate that chance by taking a poke at an elk at 80yds?

Last edited:
A lot of good comments on here. I appreciate hearing everyone's opinion. I especially like the "pig of truth" as well.

I am comfortable out to 50 yards. BUT the animal has to be relaxed and not moving or thinking about moving before I will take that shot. I have killed 3 Bulls at 50 yards and all didn't go more that 20 yards after the shot.

When I was shooting my long bow 20 yards was my maximum.

John

Printed my drop chart out to 300 off the G7 website so I'm good to go, just need to screw on some broadheads at the trailhead. Beyond belief here I come.

Pig of truth is classic and I think it should be mandatory for that kind of eye opener. I do the same thing though less destructive arrow wise with my boy, an 8" paper plate and 1 arrow each day for several days.

I've got a buddy who likes to brag about how he's comfortable shooting out to 70 yards. He wounds a lot of deer. He doesn't see the connection.

Hunting from a tree stand in the NC hardwoods, my furthest deer kill was 23 yards and I won't shoot one further than that, and that is shooting 5-6 per year. I focus on having the deer under my stand, so there's no need to shoot any further.
However, I'll be elk hunting in Montana in Sept and have been shooting out to 40 yards, which may be more of a necessity.
It's all relative to where and what you're hunting, alone with what you and you're equipment is capable of.

Just gotta be brutally honest with yourself, if you can't hit the kill zone every time at a given range, than you probably shouldn't be shooting at that range.
Matt

The problem for me is I can hit in a 6 inch target every time at the range, however if I walk a 3d range it's a different story. If you are moving fast and your heart rate is up and your shooting at steep angles you will be surprised how you can miss even at 40 or 50 yards. Ya you may hit the target but a wounded animal is difficult to recover. Each situation is different, but shooting flat at the range is not the same as in the field. But I'm no expert.

I can consistently put all arrows in a 8 plate at 60 to 70 yards. In real life I'm reluctant to take a shot beyond 45 or 50 yards max.

And, I'm perfectly capable of missing a bull elk completely at 25 yards.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back