WANTED; Nevada elk info 76,77,79,81

Anyone know much about all the checker-board private- public land in the south of the unit???
Thanks...

I seen that also Howdy,my efforts are going north.looks like I will be there the whole archery season, so feedback will be coming your way

Anyone been over to do any scouting yet?
I'm going over this week for 5 or 6 days. Got to get away from work and see some bulls...
H

Lost my opportunity for scouting,work has a way of doing that.I will be there the whole season but will have to come in blind.

Elk Nv 76-81

To all the other tag holders.
Just returned home after my scouting trip to the unit.
Turned up 34 Bulls. Thought id turn up more.
It was very hot the time I was up there. but on the last morning it cooled off with overcast and a few rain showers and we turned up 12 bulls on the last morning.
the springs were running and the trick tanks were full that I visited.
How ever a lot of the dirt tanks were dry unless spring fed.
The grass was tall, lots of feed.
Watch for snakes you archery guys... I found one.
Good luck and report back on youir hunts.
If any archery hunters see any big bulls they didn'y tie their tag on, I'd love to talk about it.
thanks,
Howdy

Reno Mike.
Sent you GPS cords for your Cow hunt next week.
Over 100 head.
You should be able to stick one there...
Good luck
Howdy

Awesome thank you. I am getting more and more excited and counting down till I leave on Thursday. I will let you know about any bulls I see out there. The first few days of the hunt it is looking like there are going to be some afternoon thunderstorms but hopefully not too bad.

The cooler weather will help you out.
The first 4 days we were there it was upper 90's.
Then yesterday in clouded over and spit rain and the elk stayed out much later in the morning.
Have a safe and exciting hunt.
The elk were mixed in with the range cows too in that basin. Drinking side by side...

Alright guys I need some help. I am out in the field right now. We have been hunting for a few days and after lots of hiking and glassing have not come across any elk. The same can be said for several other groups we have come across. There have been some massive rainstorms and flash floods throughout the week. We were up in 81 decided to to move south down near black mountain in the hopes that we can find something. Does anyone have any suggestions that could help find something I am in crunch time. Thanks in advance.

Well guys I thought I would provide a recap for everyone. This season was a rough one. After several trips out, many miles hiked, and many hours glassing I was unable to harvest. In fact the only elk that I did see was the carcass of an extremely small young cow that was left was left by an outfitter camp. We saw some tracks and poop but never heard or saw anything resembling a live elk, but that is how it goes sometimes. For opening week the weather was pretty wild with some very large rainstorms that forced us to hang out in the truck or tents most of the time giving us a few hours at most to hunt. On the second and third trip out the weather was better and allowed for normal hunting conditions.There was tons of fresh feed and water everywhere for them so pinning down a location was difficult. After the two weeks of rain and flash floods we ran into some roads that had been completely washed out or had two feet deep cracks running through them were the tire tracks used to be that limited access by truck. On the plus side we did see lots of antelope while passing through some of the open areas and came around a bend onto a bachelor group of about 6 deer with a very large 5 point and 2 good size 4 points that let us hang out about 50 yds for a few minutes before taking off. For those that are going out for rifle season the roads may be an issue and I hope you have better luck than I did. I look forward to photos. I did hear rumors that people were seeing elk north of where I was close to the Idaho border but it was too late for me to check it out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back