Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Elk topics and tactics

MTbowhunter84

What are some areas do you like to learn about more? Looking for topics to teach and areas that everyone is most interested in. I have a general idea of what to provide but would like to cover the more desired areas that don't get hit on as much.

Bowhunter,

Do you do your own butchery? I know zero people that do their own. I didn't grow up hunting and the folks I hunt with all take their meat to a processor. I'm hoping that this year will be the first year I actually get an elk, and if so will probably take it to a processor, HOWEVER, my overwhelming preference is to learn to do it myself. If I don't have friends I can help to get me hands-on experience, where should I start. Thank you!

The initial cost is going to sting. I have done some in the past on my own. All I have used is a grinder, which is essential to start doing it on your own. This allows you to do the grind meat from burger to sausage. For burger I simply use the excess meat I don't use for steaks. This also makes up my sausage. For burger I simplyix in the cheapest wal mart burger you can buy. It will generally be 27% fat and 83% burger which allows the elk to stick together a bit better. For sausage you can simply buy a kit at most grocery stores. Steaks are pretty simple. The easiest way I found was simply searching online and making sure I get the best cuts. From there you can cut the steaks as you please. In the field I always use the gutless method which is getting very popular. Corey at elk101 has a great video on how to do this method. Depending on how far I have to go I will usually just leave it on the bone and pack it out. If it's a farther treck I will debone the meat. Most of what I have learned came from family but there are some great examples and resources online that can be found. What I do is very similar to others.

My recommendation is find a good grinder, stuffer, and smoker and it will pay for itself in the long run.

Bass Pro Shop sells a good line of grinders. They are made by LEM, but at almost half the price point. I have been very happy with my grinder. It's got stainless steel gears and all the bells and whistles of a more expensive grinder. Also, invest in a foot pedal to control the on/off switch.

Thank you Bowhunter, John, and JR. Maybe I just buy one piece a year until I have enough...more toys for adults!

Jim

John,

Longmont...My elk season this year is 10/18-10/26ish...I think you're hunting archery so you'd go before me. Where in SE Colorado? I usually try to get into Picture Canyon/Carrizo Canyon in Early Sept for bird migration (yes I'm a geek).

That would be easy for me! My in-laws are in Co Spgs and I'm there pretty regularly. I would LOVE to be able to help you butcher, or not get in the way...your preference...but hands-on is the best teacher.

My elk will probably be done by then, so we will work on your's. Debone it and bring it in some coolers and you'll go home with nicely packaged elk for the freezer. If you're too far away to get back and forth with a couple hours for butchering in the afternoon you can crash here for the night and I'll even feed you..lol

John,

WOW!! Amazing kindness. Kindness that deserves elk meat! Weekends will be easiest for me after missing a week to hunt. If I keep it frozen/on ice for a week will that still be ok?

EDIT----Sorry to hijack Bowhunter's thread. You can PM me or e-mail me: [email protected]

Last edited:
I'm retired, so I'm open pretty much anytime I'm not hunting. Go ahead and freeze your meat, just make sure it's mostly thawed when you get here.

What are some areas do you like to learn about more? Looking for topics to teach and areas that everyone is most interested in. I have a general idea of what to provide but would like to cover the more desired areas that don't get hit on as much.

I think deboning and gutless method can never be over taught, as well as how to cape an elk for the taxidermist

You should check out a local butcher and see if they have some back fat from a hog or fat from a cow they processed.

This....^^^^^ My wife and I have a friend that butchers a pig or two every year. He gives us all the fat for our wild game processing. Works great for burger, 80% wild game, 20% pork fat trimmings. I was told that pork and wild game are very compatible temperature wise when cooking, making it an ideal combination.

If I hadn't grown up hunting/processing my own game, I would take up the very generous offer by JohnCushman--- nothing like hands on learning. I am sure you can learn more in one weekend at his place than months of reading about it.

Something I want to learn more of is the gutless method... I have always drug halves out or quartered after dressing ( or those few lucky times you can get an elk out whole). Seems the gutless method Randy shows in his video would save time.

Last edited:
LibertyJim-

I'd suggest you go to rifleandrecipes.com and order Slice of the Wild. It's not just a cookbook, but gives info on processing your critter. Secondly, if your wife has a KitchenAid mixer, they have a grinder attachment that works awesome! I've put a lot of critters through ours. If she doesn't have one and she likes good stuff, get her one as a gift! You'll score brownie points and a grinder at the same time.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back