Wood stove for Cabelas Bighorn Tent?

Joe Hulburt

Looking to add a wood stove to the tent for an extended hunt this fall. Anybody have any suggestions for the perfect stove for that size tent? Hope to get something that will burn most of the night??

I use this:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camp...l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products&Ntt=wood+stove

It was the price that ultimately led me to my decision. I have used it every season since 2010 any really like it. I had to use sheet metal screws on the stove pipe to make it safe, but other than that it has been great. It's definitely heavy....

Good to know. That is the one I have been eyeballing. The reviews are great except for the fact that it doesn't hold a fire too long. Is that your experience? I'm not sure there is such thing as a tent stove that holds a fire all night but I like the idea. I have a hard time keeping a fire all night in my big house stove.

I couldn't tell you if other stoves can hold hold a fire all night because this is the only one I have ever owned. If I close the vents I can get about a 4 maybe 5 hour burn. I usually just let it die at night and then we get it going again first thing in the morning. Assuming conditions allow for that. The elk in my avatar was taken on a late season NM elk hunt in 2011 and the temp dropped to - 30 that night. we were up every two hours keeping that thing cranking. It was so cold our vehicles wouldn't start.

Last edited:
After several years of hauling a heavy homemade stove 1400 miles we finally bought one from Wall Tent Shop. It is called wilderness stove and comes in three sizes.

We bought the #4 for our tent which I believe is 16x20. It does a nice job keeping a fire overnight. We do, however, bring along a little Indiana hardwood (red elm) to add to the fire for the night.

Reasonably priced and no complaints.

http://www.walltentshop.com/index.php

I would look at the Kwik Kamp stoves. I built my own 7 years ago based on the Inferno model to their specs. It works very well in my 12x18 tent and it will burn all night if you use good dry wood, I always use a mix of Fir & Alder.

I think this is what I will end up with. I have a cabelas really close by.

I went with that one and used it on a 14 day elk hunt in late September. I'm very happy with it! I was able to keep a fire all night by adding wood once. Easy to set up and not too heavy to transport. No complaints what so ever.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back