Wyoming Elk Hunt/Outfitter Recommendations

Montana Advocate

Fellow Hunt Talkers-

I hope everyone's season has been a success. I missed a big 6 pt in the Little Belts a few weeks ago when I guessed 40 yards and he was actually 51, and am heading out again for the last week of archery.

I'm looking to burn my points in Wyoming next year. I will have 9, or 1 short of max. I'm looking at 45, 61, 62, 63 or 64, and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on outfitters I should look into for these units, or if I should consider a unit like 7. I'd be very happy with a good opportunity at a solid, mature bull, but, more importantly, want a quality experience with an outfit that isn't looking to hold my hand on the hunt. This will be my first guided experience.

Many thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Matt

Unit 7 is not as high elevation. Some if it is steep.... alot is "kinder." Huge bulls in unit 7, but its not a classic Rocky Mt hunt if thats what ur looking for. It will prob be more of a pickup/4 wheeler style hunt w most of the outfitters, since its mainly a private land unit. Very little public in unit 7. Sorry cant give any outfitter recommendations.

Last edited:
Give Dusty Harvey at Timber Ridge Taxidermy in Ralston Wy a call he is currently Guiding for the Wood River Ranch but it sounds like he may be the kind of guide your looking for. I think he can take you into 62 or 63 both are excellent areas he can take you by foot, wheeler or horseback.

Dusty 307-754-0770

Unit 56 late season. Call Carl with Boulder Basin Outfitters out of Cody.
Carl Sauerwein
(307) 587-3404
I hunted with Carl in 2013 and I know friends who have been to his camp in the Thoroughfare. I did not harvest, I needed 4 - 5 more seconds to get a shot at a really big bull. Carl is harvesting some really good bulls late season. Hope this helps. PM me if you want more information.

Yep - I'd second giving Carl of Boulder Basin a call. I guided for him for a few seasons and he's the real deal.

Good luck picking an outfitter. The 60's units will give you a chance at a very good bull if you get drawn.

A few years ago, I had a conversation with a guide that has worked 7 for many years. He lives in Douglas. He said that under the current season structure, there are not nearly as many big bulls as there used to be in 7. He said there are still 350-class bulls there, but a 300-320 is more realistic as the top end. He personally had killed a 390 with a long bow years ago. I don't remember his name.

What size of bull are you looking for? My buddy just finished a guided, center-fire hunt on the east side of the Shirley Mountains. He got a 300+ bull and saw 70-80 bulls in three days-and he is not in shape! They saw a 340-ish bull, but could not get a shot. I assume that they also do archery and if you are interested, I can get you the name of the outfitter.

We just got back from a "hunt" with Boulder Basin and Carl Sauerwein. He is a liar and total scammer !! I have hunted elk in 3 states with 6 different outfitters and have never seen such an indifferent and incompetent outfitter. There were three of us. We had paid him in full for a one day doe antelope hunt on a private zone 20 ranch, and 4 days of cow elk hunting on public land in zone 59 with horses. We drove 2300 miles to his place in Cody, Wyoming. When we got there he still had not secured a ranch to hunt antelope on. When he did, he wanted another $900.00 for a "trespass" fee !! We ended up hunting on a ranch owned by Crazy Woman Outfitters (next time we will just book with them). For ten months Sauerwein promised us that if the elk were not down low and accessible by day trips from his home, he would pack us in to his remote tent camp 7 miles up the Boulder Basin trail. He stated that plan again to us the day before we began our hunt. Liar !!! While he was promising that plan to us, he was ordering his guides to NOT take us in to the remote camp as he had a high paying trophy bull hunter with him in that camp. We spent three days riding up a trail for two hours shared by trucks, ATVs, and other horseback hunters, sitting by a campfire all day, then riding off the mountain. Back at the house, Sauerwein's girlfriend advised he was seeing 30 plus cows per day at the remote camp and his trophy hunter had passed on a 7X7 as it was not a book elk. Our two guides were as frustrated as we were. Sauerwein set them up to fail. We were so disappointed and frustrated, we left a day early.

Sounds like a typical guide service to me.

I dont trust my vacation to another human being. I will make or break it on my own and save the cash. lol

That is unfortunate. Must of been quite the paycheck with that other hunter to be willing to scrap his reputation over.

We just got back from a "hunt" with Boulder Basin and Carl Sauerwein. He is a liar and total scammer !! I have hunted elk in 3 states with 6 different outfitters and have never seen such an indifferent and incompetent outfitter. There were three of us. We had paid him in full for a one day doe antelope hunt on a private zone 20 ranch, and 4 days of cow elk hunting on public land in zone 59 with horses. We drove 2300 miles to his place in Cody, Wyoming. When we got there he still had not secured a ranch to hunt antelope on. When he did, he wanted another $900.00 for a "trespass" fee !! We ended up hunting on a ranch owned by Crazy Woman Outfitters (next time we will just book with them). For ten months Sauerwein promised us that if the elk were not down low and accessible by day trips from his home, he would pack us in to his remote tent camp 7 miles up the Boulder Basin trail. He stated that plan again to us the day before we began our hunt. Liar !!! While he was promising that plan to us, he was ordering his guides to NOT take us in to the remote camp as he had a high paying trophy bull hunter with him in that camp. We spent three days riding up a trail for two hours shared by trucks, ATVs, and other horseback hunters, sitting by a campfire all day, then riding off the mountain. Back at the house, Sauerwein's girlfriend advised he was seeing 30 plus cows per day at the remote camp and his trophy hunter had passed on a 7X7 as it was not a book elk. Our two guides were as frustrated as we were. Sauerwein set them up to fail. We were so disappointed and frustrated, we left a day early.

Did you have a contractual agreement with him for the services promised? Specifying dates, monies to be paid, services agreed upon, etc? Did you guys harvest anything?

Good luck picking an outfitter. The 60's units will give you a chance at a very good bull if you get drawn.

A few years ago, I had a conversation with a guide that has worked 7 for many years. He lives in Douglas. He said that under the current season structure, there are not nearly as many big bulls as there used to be in 7. He said there are still 350-class bulls there, but a 300-320 is more realistic as the top end. He personally had killed a 390 with a long bow years ago. I don't remember his name.

What size of bull are you looking for? My buddy just finished a guided, center-fire hunt on the east side of the Shirley Mountains. He got a 300+ bull and saw 70-80 bulls in three days-and he is not in shape! They saw a 340-ish bull, but could not get a shot. I assume that they also do archery and if you are interested, I can get you the name of the outfitter.

If he hunted with Q , you'll not find many residents that like that outfit. Lots of history with them and public land hunters.

Some nice ranch hunts in 7 with lodging on the mountain.

Greetings F250, I am now very very concerned about my hunt with Boulder Basin Outfitters that starts in two days. I have a 53-2 LE bull elk tag. Can you provide any additional details about the outfitters failures and how I can improve on the situation.

Greetings F250, I am now very very concerned about my hunt with Boulder Basin Outfitters that starts in two days. I have a 53-2 LE bull elk tag. Can you provide any additional details about the outfitters failures and how I can improve on the situation.

Take any written correspondence you have with you, any texts on your phone or email, print them out and take them with you.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back