Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Best Back Country Hike in Hunt for Muleys?

gremcat

Want to start applying and no idea where to begin. I am a eastern whitetail hunter. I am planning a drop hunt for moose and want to start looking for other hunts to experience. One I have always wanted is a remote back country type hunt for Muleys. I grew up in the Dax and Berkshires so don;t mind snow and cold. Just want to experience a true mountain hunt with a chance at a representative deer. After the accident I have decided I have a second chance to start doing the hunts I dreamed of. I know most good units are going to take years to draw. I am ok with that. I have seen some pics of Book Cliff deer and a few other ranges. I also like the idea of Montana for some reason though I have never been. Any advice in where to even begin I would appreciate.
Thanks,
Jeremia

Best is relative, but if you're in it for the experience there is a LOT of terrain in MT, WY, ID, and CO that will fit your bill. I've backpacked and climbed a fantastic amount of miles in the west, much of which holds deer. Pick a scenic range with an easy draw or OTC and make it happen; good luck and have fun.

I don't have any experience with Mule deer but on the tag end of it I would also recommend putting in for some points in a couple states that will take 3-7 years to draw and then start getting the experience necessary to make those hunts worth it by going on some hunts where you can buy over the counter or leftover tags. You will get addicted to it and need to go every year somewhere. Good luck!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back