Maroon Bells, CO hike

Muskeez

Headed to Denver, CO in 10 days to see my son and he wants to do a 3-4 day hike. He would like to go to Aspen to see the Maroon Bells, and do a hike there. I have researched it some and am still digging. Looks like a 28 mile loop. Altitude will be higher, (10K+) than most of my previous hunts, (8-9K). Just curious if anyone has done this hike? Any recommendations for things I may need in mid August that I wouldn't in late Sept. when I am used to being in CO ? Bugspray? Are the mosquitoes bad? Bear spray needed? Anyone have ideas of the temps at that altitude and area in mid August? Wondering if I should pack shorts or stocking hat, probably both. Thanks for any thoughts, I'm looking forward to reconnecting with my son :)

I haven't had a chance to see the maroon bells yet, but I have spent some time just to the north. Temps can be in the 30s early in the morning, and warm up to the 70s in the day. Be prepared for some afternoon rain showers. Mosquitos can be bad if you are down in some wet valleys. Having bear spray can't hurt.

That sounds like a fun trip. Let us know if you see any big bulls.

I bowhunted deer there around West Maroon Pass back in 2012. Not sure which trails or loop you are referring to. We drove from Aspen to the Schofield Park trailhead and I would NOT recommend that! Temps were about 30 in the morning and plenty chilly when we woke up. We were camped at about 12,000'. Temps would warm up to about 70 in the afternoon. Didn't take any bug or bear spray and didn't need either IMO.

This is the area where the mountain goat hunter bought the farm last September. Know your trail and be safe. Consider communication capability in case an issue arises while out of cell phone service which is basically the edge of Aspen.

Having lived in the area since '67 you could encounter snowfall up high should it rain down lower.so plan accordingly. Not knowing your trip plan, it would be wise to alert someone of your intentions and your proposed return date. Note that there are moose and bear around Crater Lake above Maroon Lake and below the Maroon Bells . You might also run into Bighorn Sheep and Mountain Goat while hiking . Check with the U.S. Forest Service office of the White River District in Aspen @970-925-3445 for more information.
Enjoy yourselves but be prepared and enjoy the beauty !

Well well - just home from Glenwood Springs, and surrounding areas - rafting, hiking and
Trip to an amazing cemetery. hot springs and you will be
Happy you went. The bells are alive !
Temps already 40s - it's super greened up and the flowers are awesome!
Yes bug are bad, flies too but bear spray?! No
Carry your side arm.
;)
And a spin rod or fly set up.? You like to fish.
Good storms can roll in hit hard and chill you off quick - so be prepared!
Stop on by here if you like before you head up the hill and drop off
Some sweet corn ;)

Last edited:
Thanks so much for all the info guys, this was exactly what I was looking for. I was thinking I should call the forst service, so thank you Ridge Runner! My son has done 2 Fourteeeners this summer but I am going to insist that this will not be one of them. From what I have read the rocks there crumble away under foot easily sending climbers to the bottom. That won't be us!

Here is the route that I found:

Day 1 – Start from the West Maroon Portal at Maroon Lake and head toward the far end of the lake onto West Maroon Trail #1970. then continue up the W. Maroon Valley to several campsites located near the trail. (5 miles)

Day 2 – Head for West Maroon Pass then descend a series of switchbacks. Take the right fork at the trail junction (North Fork Trail #1974) to head up Frigid Air Pass. Beyond the pass lies the verdant Fravert Basin. Stay the night at one of the campsites here. (5 miles)

Day 3 – descend from the Fravert Basin following the descent of the North Fork of the Crystal River. After a steep drop over some trail switchbacks, trail #1974 joins trail #1976, the North Fork Cutoff Trail. Take the N. Fork cutoff toward the next pass, Trail Rider Pass. The trail will connect with Geneva Lake Trail (#1973) but you may never notice the change in the name of the trail. Climb the switchbacks to the top of Trail Rider Pass. Then head for camp at Snowmass Lake. (7 mi.)

Day 4 – From Snowmass Lake, take the Maroon Snowmass Trail (#1975) toward the last pass, Buckskin Pass. The Maroon Snowmass Trail drops from Snowmass Lake into a boggy area before ascending to 12,462 ft. Buckskin Pass. Descend into Minnehaha Gulch where you will camp for the night. (5 mi.)

Day 5 – For the final leg of the loop, descend from your camp site continuing on trail #1975 toward Crater Lake. At the lake, make a left heading back toward Maroon Lake on the trail you first arrived on 5 days before. (3 mi.)

Well Muskeez souinds like an adventurous trip to be sure. Hopefully you'll allow yourself to get a little acclimated before you start trekking as you are coming from low elevation.
Will be anxious to read about your mountain expedition here on Hunt Talk along with some photos !

By the looks of the Itinerary I would pack some Ibuprofen and Tylenol pm.

Are there any lakes on the Route? Might be fun to catch supper.

Back from an awesome trip! Spent ALL day Monday on the road to my son's place in Denver. Tuesday 4 am, on the road to Aspen. We wanted to get there before the gate closed at 8 am and we had to use the bus service. Missed that due to having trouble finding a fishing license outlet. Oh well. We did follow the itinerary that I listed earlier as far as direction of travel, but not on length of hikes each day. We just went until it seemed like a good time to call it a day.

There were actually too many people on the trails IMO but on the other hand it helped because we could ask those traveling the opposite direction what area they camped in the previous night. It was also nice to visit with people from all over the country at the top of each pass while we all took a break. The only issues with bears were supposedly around crater lake and that area was closed to camping completely. We did hear some handgun shots at one point, hopefully just to scare off a bear. We did not see any, wish we would have actually. We saw mule deer and Mt. goats, and the wild flowers were amazing! If I was struggling during the day all I had to do was look down and see that almost every step of the way there were different flowers. Hard to grumble then! I often thought that God must have mixed up some wildflower seeds and threw them down from heaven because they were absolutely everywhere you looked.

We went over 4 passes that were all around 12,500 and slept in the bottoms from 10-11,000. Nights were chilly but my Sitka primaloft jacket and a stocking hat inside of a down bag was cozy. My son ran almost every day in Denver so he kicked my tail on the trails. We each had approx. 50 lb. packs but he took off like a race horse each day. He probably spent 2-3 hours a day waiting for me, but I told him I was just making sure he had ample time to really soak it all in.

Snowmass lake was the most beautiful lake I have ever seen. It didn't look as big from 2 miles above it on the pass, but it was quite large and full of trout. I packed 2 UL spinning rods along the entire trip and I was glad I did. The trout were quite aggressive and we casted small Northland rubber tail jigs and twitched them back on the retrieve. They hit like pike! We kept 2 for supper that night and cooked them over a campfire. I don't like trout in general, probably because they have always been hatchery raised fish that I have tried, but these were delicious and a welcome addition to our dehydrated meals!

We also caught several rainbows from Maroon Lake after our hike but I'm guessing these are stocked trout since they are so close to the road and there are so many visitors there trying to catch them.

Had I known how grueling the hike would have been at points I may have shied away a bit, but it was the best chance I had to spend some quality time with my son between his summer job and his next semester of college. I am SO glad that I took the opportunity. I THINK I now have an idea what high country mule deer hunting would be like and I know that I need to be in better shape if I intend to do a week of backpack hunting in that type of terrain in the future. If any of you get the chance to do this trip, I highly recommend it, it was painfully amazing!

Attachments

• IMG_1293.jpg
    IMG_1293.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_1415.jpg
    IMG_1415.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_1741.jpg
    IMG_1741.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_1476.jpg
    IMG_1476.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_1790.jpg
    IMG_1790.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_1906.jpg
    IMG_1906.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 303
Ya, had to take bear proof canister, we bought the Counter Assault one, Yellow. It is quite large but good for 2 of us for 4 days and a little spare. They are clumsy dang things to pack, but my son hauled it. When he had room I was sure to put the burner, fuel, and pots inside it as well instead of in my pack. It weighed about 3# empty which sucked, but it was nice to be able to leave it on the ground and not have to hang food every night. FYI, after closing them tip them upside down so rain doesn't get inside of them.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back