advice please

Stupid question, but have you calve them in a shed, or corals close to the house?

I grew up on a ranch in western MT, and have lots of family friends who still run cows. Can't say that coyotes where ever an issue.

I realize that eastern MT is a bit different, and lot more open. I always wondered how you guys got by calving on the range like that. I always wondered if you took the amount of $ lost to predators in the form of calves and put it toward a couple sheds and corals it would pay for itself in a matter of time. Thats got to hurt the bottom line big time.

Wish I lived closer I'd come out and smoke a pack a day. :D

If you want to make a serious dent then forget calling. Foot holds and dirt sets will become your best friend. Running traps can be a big time commitment but if you are already out there checking on stock then checking your line can be worked into your daily routine easily, Otherwise get the best caller you can afford and then be ready to partake in the most frustrating game of all.

Shoot a couple rabbits if legal and some raw meat table scrapes. Sit on it and see what happens.

WT, Does that encompass the entire CMR? Our ranch borders the CMR and I spoke to the CMR boys( U.S. Fish and Wildlife) about 3 weeks ago asking about coyote hunting and they told me I could only shoot them until the close of the general rifle season. If the info you provided does cover the entirety of the CMR ill have to inform them they need to check their own website. Didnt really plan on hunting there much anyhow we dont calve adjacent to them but I do see coyotes there quite regularly.Anyhow thanks for the info.

What I copied and pasted above is from their FAQ page. Below is a link to their rules and regulations page. There is also a link on the left side of the rules and regs page for the 2014 specific CMR hunting regulations. I don't see mention in any of their rules and regs that parts of the refuge close to coyote hunting on different dates.

http://www.fws.gov/refuge/Charles_M_Russell/visit/rules_and_regulations.html

The only advice I can give you on hunting them is to kindly ask psinclair on here if he'd be willing to share some tips with you.

Buy a couple jackasses they will scare them away. They sold one in the salebarn this summer. and another cattlemen asked why the guy had a jackass and he said he had him to protect the herd from yotes. Never heard of it before but they say it's true.

Dr. Grant Woods did a article I believe or podcast several years ago where he talks about how he manages predators. He started out hunting but never really saw the improvement he wanted to see. Needless to say he started trapping them and it made a huge difference. Every little bit helps I'm sure but I would suggest using a trapping/hunting system. I have talked with some ranchers in Eastern/Central Kansas and they run into the same problem every year as yourself.

Last edited:
Dirty Dan, ive shot alot of yotes on afterbirth but im looking to cut down their numbers prior to calving season. Ive never trapped or snared before and thats another avenue im considering learning about. In the past 5 days ive shot 4 but those are just the ones ive seen while out doing chores. Just stepped outside now and can hear 3 separate groups of the critters yippin and all within 1\2 mile of the house. If anyone here wants to come hunt yotes in Eastern Mt youll be more than welcome.

Where approximately are you located in eastern MT?

I am an extreme Northwest South Dakota and we have a government trapper and all he does is predator control year around trapping fox and coyote and nuisance animal. We even get a government plane to come up to take them from the air. You might want to check and make sure there is not such a program in your area. Without them the predators would be unbearable in this area. Just a idea.

There again, psincair is the guy to talk to. He is the governement trapper in the area.

Bambistew, we dont have corrals or barns large enough to accomodate our main herd so they range calve but we do calve our heifers in the corral. Most ranches out here simply run a few extra head of cattle knowing we will lose some calves every year. And we do hire guys who use helicopters and planes to hunt em. Each year cows and calves die and i always use the dead ones as bait so that part of yote hunting Ive done Ive just never called or trapped them before. Just wanted to take this opportunity to says thanks for all of you responses fellas. I now have a general idea of how to begin actively pursuing these critters. Its most certainly appreciated.

I wish I didn't live 12 hours away from you. I'd volunteer my services at predator control for a couple days. Good luck! I hope you get them nocked down.

Sounds like you've got it figured out, but thought I'd throw this in the mix.

I started totally 'green', ordered a predator calling pack from primos - came with a distress call, howler, and DVD. Watched the DVD and some others from the net, practiced my calling and went out on some BLM and dammit if I didn't call in some yotes. Got 2 the first year on maybe 9 stands. Last year I only made it out one time, but howled up 3 (right off a wildlife refuge to boot). this was all in an area of hard-hunted animals too.

good luck!

BTW - my friends in the wildlife profession have always said that it takes aggressive trapping or aerial gunning to really control local coyote populations.

Maybe the old cattleman was right. He said they pin their ears back and take off after them. Cowman you need to get a couple donkeys and let us know if it works:)

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back